Old school Goa trance re-edits

Basilisk

I am only peripherally aware of a subculture of disco re-edits based on polishing up obscure old records and re-releasing them, usually on vinyl. I suppose the idea is to breathe new life into forgotten music? Anyway, a friend of mine passed on links to a re-edit that was immediately familiar to me (and will probably be familiar to you as well). Check this out:

There's also this one, can anyone ID it? Sounds super familiar:

Have a look at the promo text for the release:

http://www.rushhour.nl/distribution_detailed.php?item=74939

They've also got two more here not without samples on Youtube:

http://www.rushhour.nl/distribution_detailed.php?item=77821

Here's their profile on Discogs (which will allow you to follow the trail back to Atomic Records of all places...):

http://www.discogs.com/artist/3766554-Full-Circle-16

Good ear... how about the other two?

In a good edit style they're dropping hints so I say

Sunkings - Starbuck

Razor's Edge - The Zoo

Regarding the legality...although there are obviously some regional differences, generally speaking you can only re-use copyrighted material if it's so heavily modified that the original is barely there. Even that is up to the judges. It's not easy to get that ruling against big players who guard their goods closely. There have been cases where just three-second samples can get you into trouble (and also cases like Skeewiff's One Sample Short of a Lawsuit EP where they eventually hired a studio to re-play the riff so that it's no longer a sample from a legal point of view). Anyway, just playing a vinyl at 33 rpm and pressing the result, possibly with minor modifications, is definitely a no-no. I guess they just use such sources and batch sizes that nobody can be bothered to call it.

You can always play a custom edit, though. The royalties will (or won't) be collected as usual. It doesn't matter how you play it - original speed, slowed down, backwards, in three second snippets, whatever. It's just reprinting in any form that definitely requires a permission, or clearing like they call it with samples.

To be honest, I find these versions a bit too cheap. It's a neat observation that 33 rpm turns EBM into new beat but why bother pressing it? Just get an original - preferably another one than these - and play it at 33 rpm, FFS...

Meanwhile, there are some outright amazing disco re-edits out there, both cleared and bootleg.

• Like 1

That's actually PRETTY cool. I mean, they are doing smth completely illegal of course but somehow are using old electronic music and broadcasting it to new generations of vinyl lovers. But they should credit the original versions. Even if they hint at them only us into this scene will realize what is what (eventually and not for sure in all cases)

In the Pacific Norhtwest U.S. (Portland and Seattle) this has been going on for many years - on select occasions, djs would play 45 rmp vinyl at 33 rpm and slow it down. It was (is?) called "Sloa Goa." I don't know the history behind it, but probably A'damn (Goa Constrictor) or someone else who lurks here does...