Sampling

Soooo I've got some really I think funky forst atmospheric tracks down (not mixed right by the base is there).

Now I've got a load of old PC games from the 90's that have great sample in 'em.

I've got no idea on sampling such things. Any tips?

I think there are ways of recording from one program to another within the computer, but the couple times I've done this I found it easiest to just run the audio out of my interface, through a cable, and back into the interface to record to the DAW. In my computer, when my audio interface is on, the computer's audio (output from non-DAW programs) is assigned to a specific output channel, so I just set my DAW to record from some particular input and ran a cable to connect them. Sure, there's some unnecessary conversion going on, but it didn't make any real difference.

In most 90s games the actual audio data was either in separate files or bundled into larger lump files. There were ripping programs that detected and extracted them. In fact, sometimes you could just load a whole data file to an audio editor and spot the audio segments. It was almost always plain PCM data until compressed formats like mp3 started to arise. With those tricks you can get the exact source wave.

However, the audio was regularly stored as something like 8-22 kHz so it won't become hi-fi even with these fancy direct extraction tricks. Digital or even reasonable analogue sampling from the gameplay output shouldn't introduce any significant error compared to the original resolution. The only real benefit I can imagine is choosing your interpolation algorithm in upsampling, but sometimes the original rough playback is actually preferable as that's how we remember it.

Also try googling. Often people have already extracted the sample banks and they're floating around...

• 2 weeks later...