Need help Identifying a sound

Hello :)

I've been trying to figure out a certain sound that is used in older styles of Goa Trance, and while I have been trying to figure out what it is exactly, I'm still not certain of this.

I can't really think of any songs right now with the sound but the only one I can think of that springs to mind is Transwave's "Absolum"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773B1rHmg88 you can hear this sound at "5:44" and it's on the 2nd and 4th kicks exactly the same positions a clap should be placed, and to me it sounds like a different style layered clap & snare, perhaps this is wrong and maybe it's just a snare? I'm not sure, I have messed around with different drum synths but never have I come across this percussion sound before.

I'm not asking how it's made, I do not want to make another artists sound I just want to know what it is to create a one of my very OWN. Thanks for the help in advance, love to you all <3

I am not sure about this but it sounds like variation of snare and clap. Simple multilayer drums.

That snare sounds for me like live snare/rock snare. Anyway, what i think... on 2nd kick is just snare and on 4th kick it could be snare + clap. Sometimes i do that in my tracks. It could make rythm more interesting :)

You have something smiliar in this track too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiOZ9WlqWuI

Check other Boris track, have some very interesting drums. Tracks like Electronic Pulsation, From The Heart, Radio SPACE. He combined break beat snare with 4/4 kick which sounds great for me, make even better drive. Play with stereo, reverb, delay... even filters sometimes. And if it fits, it could really sound interesting, unique. Can give you something special.

Example check my newer work:

https://soundcloud.com/imbagoa/imba-ft-phargua-unknown-vibrations

We had clap/snare always together but not just on kicks, same for open hat. Go off the beat sometimes...

Be sure to check Agneton tracks. So crazy rolls, fills, drops... always unpredictable. It could give you some ideas :)

Dimension 5 have very unique drums and percussions too. Miranda, early Planet BEN...

Enjoy

I just remembered another track which uses this technique, although not the same but similar and the same idea... Aural Planet's "changing my mind" and you can first hear it at "1:35"

Absolutely, Boris has some great stuff and his percussive beats make him very unique, like the tribal drums used in Rainbow Spirit's Sirius shuttle for example...

I have heard your newer work already as I have been following you on soundcloud for a while now ;)

Although Agneton does have some crazy techniques, I much prefer the golden retro days of Goa techniques and sound design.

Dimension 5 is a perfect example aswell, btw, one of the best inspirations...

Always try multilayered drums and percs, i love that. I mostly use some sample which i edit a lot, starting with lenght first, after with EQ and effects etc... I already wrote in some topic that i use 2-3 layers for everything, just can't find it now.

Example i love long snares and long hats, mostly i love to have nice reverb on snare or clap. It fills atmosphere even more. Also fat rounded 909 or SH-101 kicks but i make good click too which is vital for dancefloors today. It gives power :)

Everything takes time. It took me last 2 years to learn EQ and to train ears. It's hard when you have multilayered stuff and you need to remove conflicts... but you will manage it!

Experiment man, always. Always make different drums and percs for every track, change old ones too but make them sound different. I personally know some artists who made one good kick and they using it in many tracks... just a bit different EQ and that's it. I don't like that. As much as melodies are important to be unique, same rule for drums and percs.

Haven't heard this track from Aural Planet yet but now it will be remembered thanks to that crazy snare!

Now good luck and upload us some preview when you have it :)

Yeah for sure dude! I always add reverb on snares and claps it just blends alot smoother. I know what you mean by EQ, after a year and a half I'm just getting decent at it, it takes alot to train ears, no doubt about that.

I tend to synthesize my own kicks, layering them together.. Alot of artists indeed do use the same kicks and percussion for tracks, and I don't blame them, once artists get attached to something they worked hard on creating it's difficult to let go of that. For a while I was using samples, and I just don't enjoy that anymore because it's not something that is unique to you, you know?

Glad you liked the track :D, I really like the voice samples in that one.

I will definitely upload once I'm done fiddling around :)

I don't think it's a real live drum sample, I think it's a synthesized snare in that song, but it has a gated reverb on it. That's probably what you're wondering about. It's a very cliched 80's rock snare sound.

Thanks for the idea, a gated reverb huh? That's interesting I might have to play around with this, also a synthesized drum snare makes alot more sense it does just sound like a snare synthesized from white noise after all. Thanks bro's.

Hey man.

I was working on new track just now and made some drums and percs, snare reminds me on Astral Projection. Listen preview HERE

I am sending you package of what i used. In package is my snare processed and raw version. It contains 2 snares + 1 clap.

One 909 snare and one from JD800 + 808 clap. They are without any processing. Original samples from drum machines. Download HERE

No much work but what i done is next. EQ on all 3, and different reverb on both snares. It's fat and long, and thanks to that reverb it sounds like live snare. Exactly what i like.

Feel free to use it and see how your track will sound. Hope this will give you idea :)

Hey, thanks alot man, this is really appreciated, preview sounds good, I'm gonna use these samples to show you what I can come up with and maybe give me ideas on what other samples to use, the JD800 snare is really siick by the way :D

EDIT: So I've been playing around in the track I'm working on and I've come closer at least I think :P (I couldn't figure out how to post sound clips on here so I used this instead you can hear it here...http://audiour.com/playlist/t5iwcgtm

Basically I used a snare and it's layered with noise (white, pink, etc.) I also took the JD-800 snare layered that on top, added reverb to the snares and gated them kinda like how Veracohr was saying, the gate cuts off the tail of the reverb, then after all that I just EQ'd it up a bit and this is what I ended up with so we have the basic idea of how to produce this kind of sound, it's close though for sure.

• 1 month later...