Browsers are still not up to date so we have to use sandboxes to be save

radi6404

Today`s browsers are still not save enough so we have to use sandbox apps like sandboxxie because developers like mozilla still don`t manage to produce a save browser that includes a sandbox. The updates of firefox are like changing numbers but nothing more. Today`s firefox has an improved look but otherwise is not any saver than the old Firefox 3,6. I have installed a sandbox app called sandboxxie because I doN`t want the dumb fox to sotre data into windows that can escape from the folder easily and make harm to the computer. If I open a torrent site or something else or even normal sites with advertisments they can harm or infect the computer. I use a virus controller but damages and infections still happen so there is no alternative to a sandbox and finally after years I have installed one.

google chrome has a sandbox as some people say but I don`t like it because it has almost no settings to change and I like changing the settings and design and also the security settings of the browser.

When I browse the internet I don`t want to worry about windows and reinstalling and maybe I am a step closer to it with the sandbox, even Opera and other browsers don`t have sandboxes, not to talk about Internet explorer. I also use adblock and noscript which I turn off for a few pages only.

What do you think about this subject?

The security definition updates are worthless, when you use a browser outside the sandbox, the browser willl download all the web content directly to the harddisc and if some bad file gets downloaded it can harm windows right at the time it was downloaded, that is how most browsers still work unfortunately. The security updattes and antivirus will protect some of it but wont hinder alll files at making damage. A sandbox looks the files inside it and they can not access the windows surface so it is much safer. Time willl telll how secure the sandbox app is I am using but I am sure it is better than no sandbox. So you may installl sandboxxie freeware to try. One day browsers might have protection like a sandbox. Rumours say that Google chrome has a build in sandbox, but I don`t know if that is true or not.

I use chrome inside sandboxie :D Yes, chrome already has a sandbox, but some freaks already managed to break out, so it's kind of an additional safety net.

Use it as it is very convenient during daily work, you don't really notice sandboxie other then yellow frame, so why not.. better than filling the HDD with malware over time ;)

IMHO browsing with a non-sandboxed browser is like PC suicide.. it's not only about files that are stored in the cache or cookie folder, but also about the malware using bugs on plugins or the browser itself. Buffer overflows, unsafe APIs, whatever.. there was a demo some time ago, showing how you can run own code by loading a modified/corrupted png on the internet explorer... doesn't need any user download, just load a page with that pic (hello facebook & co).

If you wanna get 100% safe though you need to get rid of windows. Know some ppl running Ubuntu Linux as host OS that auto-starts VMware with windows inside. So if any malware like a keyloger finds it way onto windows, the host is still safe - it won't log anything if you enter your credit card on the Ubuntu browser or a clean windows VM. But that's too much paranoia to me.. there is just no way I gonna fiddle around with all my sound, development, games, .... tools inside a virtual machine^^ it's slow enough running natively already.. :D

Yes, I should have started using it earlier. It is a great program and it is a big shame that firefox does not have a sandbox, but I am sure that firefox wont implement a sandbox in their browsers soon, that is pretty sure. But I find it unbelievable to hear that some people even managed to break out of google chrome sandbox, that is really insane, so sandboxxie is essential, it works fast enough on a fast system without noticable performance difference.

But I find it unbelievable to hear that some people even managed to break out of google chrome sandbox, that is really insane, so sandboxxie is essential, it works fast enough on a fast system without noticable performance difference.

Well, the good thing about is that google is verry pro-active on this.

The GPU rendering / overflow flaw I know about was found during a hacking contest. The hacker got 50k$ from google for finding it and they fixed it immediately before any malware coder was able to abuse it ;) Quite a difference to Adobe, Microsoft & co usually trying to keep security issues secret (what doesn't work btw.. ;D )