Game: Similer tracks versus eachother - decided by you.

psytones

Hey, I have no idea how good or original this "game" will become. But here goes!

I'd like you to:

1. vote on the track you like/enjoy the most from the above track vs. track.

2. post two tracks that you think are very similer, maybe even explain what is similer for you.

3. wait in exitement for some user of psynews to vote on your selection of similer tracks.

I'll start:

Solar Fields - February http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--39d45tVRo

vs.

Psykovsky - Erlkoenig

I think and feel ever since a combination of synthetic LSA and Mescaline trip that the part of the Solar Fields track from (say) 06:22 til 07:33 has a lot of similarities to the Psykovsky track. It even has the ko-ko, know what I'm typing? Also, I think the bit from 7 minutes something is very much like the noise part of the Psykovsky track, just turned inside out, so the beautiful sounds are closer and the "noise" is pushed back in the background. I find this totally awesome. It is now 5 years since I first heard this. To this day, I still hear Psykovsky warped inside-out in this track.

Now your turn.

Choose which track you like best from my two posted ones and post your two tracks that for you are very similer.

• 4 weeks later...

with a first listen i hardly find the similarity you're talking about. to me these tracks transport different atmospheres which makes it hard to compare. that said, i really like both, with a small plus for Solar Fields for his smooth tranciness.

quite hard to find similar tracks from different genres - like the game is somehow meant to be, correct me if i'm wrong - and i can't remember anything at the moment, but to get this game going i'll start with an easy one:

The Delta - As a child i could walk on the ceiling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYsm1Xt7zUs

X-Noize - Anjuna beach

i always found it strange that X-Noize's inspiration to this track wasn't mentioned anywhere. even more so cause it's quite samey - or let's say a nearly complete rip-off. but as a track itself i really enjoy this fullon-child, it has good power beside this amazing lead you know from the original. enough to beat a dark stomping evergreen?

Thanks for bumping this thread, I've been meaning to do so myself but not got round to it.

i always found it strange that X-Noize's inspiration to this track wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Can't remember where, but I recall reading that they wanted to publish it as a remix of As a Child... but they weren't given permission to do so. Of course, the vocal sample they use ("Imagination can't create anything new, can it? It only recycles bits and pieces from the world.") seems like a fairly unsubtle acknowledgement of their inspiration.

• 3 months later...

Hey Blubber, correct. It's basically about voting for the best out of two similar tracks, then posting your suggestion:

Of your tracks, the vote is easy. "The Delta - As a Child I Could Walk on the Ceiling" .. And AFAK, Rotwang's explanation is correct.

My next suggestion up for a vote:

Glooex - AnyWay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1699ByILtgA

vs.

Shpongle - Walking Backwards Through The Cosmic Mirror http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUe4fSJRTjs

Now I am not saying these two tracks are the same, at all. But imo they have a similarity, which is that "thriller" (not MJ) tension of a main score.

PS. My suggestion is vague, I know. I'll try to find a much better suggestion in the next round.

That is probably the best game, which ever got posted on psynews. It would be even better, if we are allowed to list mroe than two tracks, that are similar, because that way we can help people who are looking for specific music.

I know many mnay tracks that are similar to each other but I don´t remember them all right now. Some of those I remember are.

Elysium - Subconciousness (Remix)

Elysium - Don`t smoke Acid

Those two tracks don`t have a lot of melodywork in common, soundwise however they are very similar. Both of them have similar rough sounds, filtersweeps, percussion sounds and bassline. Subconciousness (Remix) is rougher than don`t smoke Acid but both tracks are very similar.

Johann - Intellect

Johann - Stranded

These two tracks are very similar. both of them have a similar mood and melodywork. Intellect is a bit more rockish in sound but it is clearly recognisable that both tracks are from one artist.

Ayahuasca - New Moon

Dynamix - The Resistor

Those two tracks are different in structure but have similar synthpresets on the main melodies. The melodies and atmosphere are similar and both represent the typical old and a bit melancholic sound of Dragonfly Records. It is not a big surprise that both tracks have Martin Freeland as a member.

WTF RADI6404! YOU DIDN'T VOTE FOR THE SUGGESTED VS. TRACK I POSTED, MOST FAVORED BY YOU.

Whats tiring about this suggestion of yours Radi, is that it kinda commits the player to listen to all 6 tracks you suggested. You know?

So why not hold your horses and post in turn one suggestion at the time. As for your first suggestion, my vote goes for "Don't Smoke Acid", because I love the title, and I think it has a nicer flow of atmosphere. It is as you know not unfamiliar for one artist to use a scetch from one track and totally transform it into something "else". even though, as you pointed out, it sounds in essence very similar. If you love the one track, chances are you'll love the re-scetch as well. I for one appreciate that. When you got something good, you may stretch it to other tracks, but not too many. imo.

My next suggestion is a though one, maybe I'm faulting:

Penta - Butter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo-rEhxAIc4

va.

CPC - 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcVrqhYNtQ

I am highly positive that CPC was very much inspired of this track when creating some of those massive to die for beats on Über den Angst. It's just that even though if or not this track was an inspiration, CPC doers it so much better, the beats and all just wants to make me wanna bleed or smth.

CPC <3

e. nice inputs and compliment Radi, I wish I could have listen to all tracks and given you proper feedback on all of them. But nah.

Your not as steep as I thought. Man, if you love this game so much, can you not read that a point of it before you go on a reply frenzy with own suggestion is that you should first tell which track of the above suggestions you prefer, Then post your similar vs. tracks? Je, this is like talking to my self. ; )

Stepp on steep off: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Trollveggen_2002_June.jpg

commend 1. To represent as worthy, qualified, or desirable; recommend. 2. To express approval of; praise.

" It's basically about voting for the best out of two similar tracks suggested by the latter poster, then posting your own suggestions"