Egyptian revolution(s)

Drosophila

What is you take on the development in Egypt, with the new uprising, coup, "aftermath"?

Check this kid out, pretty interesting

http://www.realnews24.com/gab_gallery/brilliant-12-year-old-boy-explains-egypts-political-crisis/

I for one are quite worried, I understand the frustration urban Egyptians must feel, but I am afraid that this new development is not really helping their cause in the long run...

After a long time under a heavy thumb, I think they're flexing their freedom muscles. I suspect we haven't seen the last of the demonstrations and pulling down of leaders.

It may take them a while to get to a point where being frustrated and angry with their politicians gets delayed until the next election cycle, since they've seen popular protest work well to pull down a leader.

Egypt is one of these countries where politics mean religion, a mix that is not easy to swallow. IMO, they will have to get used to a semi-democracy rulingh, for they will never have a true democracy because of that mix. The greatest danger is army taking over again. Israel would enter the stage then, no doubt.

Did you guys check out the kid in the video? He pretty much sums it all up.

And Procyon, when you say never, then I really hope you are wrong, but t does look hard. I think it a matter of time, but it might be a very long time, but I think they will eventually find some system that can be called a democracy. We also have to remember that it didn't appear in Europe or the US over night (to say the least).

One thing that goes in favour of change is the huge young population in Egypt, the old conservative men's days are numbered, since around 50% of the population is 20 and younger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Egypt)

In regard to the situation with Israel... I am pretty sure that they will prefer a military government in Egypt over a democratic one any day, especially if it has Islamic parties ruling it. I think history tells us that.

Yea, I read the only reason Morsi got elected is because the Muslim Brotherhood was the only organized party at the time.

Democracy needs a large amount of groups/people with about the same amount of power. Only by realizing shared power is the only way to effectively govern will a country create a democratic form of government. This is the reason countries with a wide disparity of power do not form democratic governments. It is also the reason an increasing gap between the rich and the poor is a threat to democracy in places like the USA.