Radioactive Sandwich - Mirage

Lemmiwinks

Posted Image

1. Into the Desert

2. A Broken Reality

3. An Echo is the Shadow of a Sound

4. Sullen Choirboy

5. Sigogglin (w/Thriller Jacket Jamie on guitar)

6. Time Dilation

7. Bhagwan

Pure chance made me discover these guys 2 years ago with their quirky A World Of Delights album and it was love at first site! Now comes the difficult make-it-or-break-it follow-up album, still released for free on Ektoplazm, just like the first.

Into the Desert is a very soothing new-ageish beatless intro track, nice mood setter although nothing really special.

Then off to more serious but still soothing realms with A Broken Reality, this one is quite reminiscent of Entheogenic IMO, similar organic melodies, broken beats and tablas playing on top and then the ethereal female voices come to complete what gradually becomes a pretty dynamic track. I like this one a lot :)

An Echo is the Shadow of a Sound takes us to more darker realms, again with pretty heavy use of tablas, it starts pretty meditative and then becomes much more lighter in the scond half, I find it a bit dissapointing actually, I would've much rather they kapt the darker feeling from the first half...

Sullen Choirboy, back to Entheogenic style here, a nice harp-like melody starts and then some syncopated beats, then in the second half a more obvious synth line comes and covers the leading melody up.

Sigogglin yeah baby, this is very remniscent of their first album and precisely the style that got me hooked on their sound. Very catchy ethnic melodies on a danceable rythm, I couldn't get myself to stop smiling, nodding my head and pressing the repeat button :) Best track here, I hope they'll give us more like this in the future.

Time Dilation still maintaining a happy vibe but less catchy than the previous song IMO.

And this brings us to the end already, Bhagwan comes and breaks the party up with a much darker vibe, pretty fast paced for a chill-out track and some catchy indian singing, I'm liking this one a lot too :)

CONCLUSION: Umm well not as great as their first album, World of Delights, IMO this is lacking the catchy melodies and "wild ride" feeling the first album had but still a pretty good chill-out album worthy of anyone's collection. It's 100% free but surpasses most "normal" CD releases out there IMO :) faves: 2, 5(!!!), 7

3,5/5

Lemmiwinks,

Thanks again for the kind words!

Just a little correction, A World of Delights is actually our 5th album, making MIrage our 6th album :) Check out the other ones here if you want: http://radioactivesandwich.bandcamp.com.

Sigogglin seems to be the one that people are really feeling. It's funny, I really love Time Dilation, so I was a bit disappointed when people weren't raving about that one, haha.

Glad you liked the album, we have some ridiculous things planned for the near future, including a collaboration with someone y'all may know (we can't tell you yet!).

Peace,

Slice Two

• 1 year later...

radioactive-sandwich-mirage-600x600.jpg

Artist: Radioactive Sandwich

Title: Mirage

Label: Omnitropic / Radioactive Sandwich Records

Date: July, 2012

01 - Into The Desert (65 BPM)
02 - A Broken Reality (65 BPM)
03 - An Echo Is The Shadow Of A Sound (100 BPM)
04 - Sullen Choirboy (70 BPM)
05 - Sigogglin (95 BPM)
06 - Time Dilation (105 BPM)
07 - Bhagwan (70 BPM)
I like sandwiches.
PB&J? Oh yeah.
Cold cuts? Throw it all on there.
I can tear up a meatball sandwich. It'll look like a crime scene when I'm done.
But this is the second album I've heard from this duo and I'm now very partial to Radioactive Sandwiches. As I mentioned in my review of their 5th album A World of Delights they have an intricate style that goes beyond straight downtempo. Great breakbeats and worldly tones will be found here. The melodies are moody bits of melancholy that arrive in waves creating a beautiful tapestry. Even the track names are appealing. An Echo is the Shadow of a Sound? That's f*cking poetry man. The tracks move delicately through brooding soundscapes all with a spiritual component. Sigogglin is a cinematic Bollywood track full of ethnic influences. The booming drums on Bhagwan make me feel like I just ascended to base camp in the Himalayas.
Although I found their last album better, this one is still really good. There is much more of a tribal / spiritual element to be found here. Great meditative music perfect for those who love get high whilst keeping feet on the ground.
Mdk