Eroneity - We berated our own crapiness

Rotwang

I have made a thing that superficially resembles psytrance. Please download (don't stream it, the transcoded version sounds like absolute shit) and let me know what you think:

look

Ha! I love the title!

Did you make all the sounds with your software, including the snares? Or did you use some samples?

I think the kick should be louder, and I might suggest the bass be a little more aggressive in tone.

Otherwise, the psychedelic noises at the front of the mix could probably benefit from some effects, like chorusing, reverb, something like that.

Ha! I love the title!

Thanks.

Did you make all the sounds with your software, including the snares? Or did you use some samples?

The snares and hi-hats came from samples, though I added some reverb to one of them. Other than those and the speech samples it was all made with my software.

I think the kick should be louder,

Interesting - when I hear it through speakers the kick sounds too loud to me. How are you listening?

and I might suggest the bass be a little more aggressive in tone.

Not sure what you mean by that, can you explain?

Otherwise, the psychedelic noises at the front of the mix could probably benefit from some effects, like chorusing, reverb, something like that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting - when I hear it through speakers the kick sounds too loud to me. How are you listening?

I was listening on high quality headphones.

Not sure what you mean by that, can you explain?

The bass tone is pretty clean, not many harmonics. I suggest something more sawtooth based (or whatever equivalent you do from your software), or dirty it up with a little distortion.

I'm listening now through my mixing monitors and it sounds good to me.

I think that I know what someone above was meaning about the kick, it could be punchier.

Some would call it fatter or phatter.

So you made the software that made the effect sounds?

I'm listening now through my mixing monitors and it sounds good to me.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I think that I know what someone above was meaning about the kick, it could be punchier.

Some would call it fatter or phatter.

OK, I'll work on that.

So you made the software that made the effect sounds?

The software made all sounds except snares, hi-hats and vocal samples, and was also used as a sequencer.

Kick is punchy, loud enough and effective to me, I don't mind it being less prominent at times or softer in volume in comparison to other track effects at all.

It seems to waver in volume though(eg around the 4:26 mark) which is a bit distracting? Not sure if you were purposefully going for that.

Enjoyed having a listen

I have no production experience and am no audio/genre purist etc

Kick is punchy, loud enough and effective to me, I don't mind it being less prominent at times or softer in volume in comparison to other track effects at all.

It seems to waver in volume though(eg around the 4:26 mark) which is a bit distracting?

Are you specifically talking about the kick wavering in volume? If so it wasn't intentional, and I can't hear it. It may be the result of SC's transcoding, if you're listening to the streamed version.

Enjoyed having a listen

Thanks!

Are you specifically talking about the kick wavering in volume? If so it wasn't intentional, and I can't hear it. It may be the result of SC's transcoding, if you're listening to the streamed version.

It's a soundcloud streaming problem. It does it quite often.

BTW have you listened to Acid Tonik I told you about?

[media='']http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=44UAE9ZFDfU[/media]

Yeah am talking about the kick. I downloaded the track to listen. It happens a few times throughout but in the example I gave(the kick) wavers in volume for about 3 seconds from the 4:26 mark. Just listened again briefly to a segment and it also does it around the 4-4:03 mark as another example.

Edit: It's all track elements wavering in volume at those points, not just the kick sorry

BTW have you listened to Acid Tonik I told you about?

Yes. I think I can see where you're coming from, the feel of the tracks are quite different (to me) but there are some similarities in the timbres and use of percussion.

Yeah am talking about the kick. I downloaded the track to listen. It happens a few times throughout but in the example I gave(the kick) wavers in volume for about 3 seconds from the 4:26 mark. Just listened again briefly to a segment and it also does it around the 4-4:03 mark as another example.

Edit: It's all track elements wavering in volume at those points, not just the kick sorry

Hmm, strange. I can't hear it and don't think I can see it (the track goes quieter for a few seconds before 4:26 when the kick stops, but when the kick comes back again it should be the same volume as before), but I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. Thanks for the heads up.

By the sounds of things I wouldn't worry about it too much. Seems like it's just a Soundcloud issue rather than anything to do with your composition. Have you tried downloading the uploaded file from Soundcloud yourself and seeing if you can notice the volume changes? I've listened to the track quite a few times now and I reckon it's pretty good. Keep doing more, evolving your skills, sounds and ideas and don't be so damn self-depreciative!

OK, thanks.

e: The downloaded MP3 is identical to the uploaded one (at least their md5 checksums agree) so it isn't a problem with SoundCloud.