3. Konan the barbarian - Rubix Qube Vs. Xatrik

4. Keep the change - Orca Vs. Technodrome

5. Master of the krusher - Rabdom L Vs. Khopat

6. Intensified Frequency (Smashed, Ex-Gen rmx) - Ex-Gen

7. The real deal - Sidhartha

8. Nano Tech (Cybernetix, Terrorbyte rmx) - Biorhythm

9. Brain Purge - Artifakt

10. Star Child - Earworm

Holy crap look at that tracklist! When I first saw this I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. Then I calmed down, took a deep breath and remembered this was how Turn On, Tune In, Burn Out started out and we all know what a sh*tshow that turned out to be. No? Check it out. All the artists here have been known to drop a smasher so confidence is high. Confidence is high. Fractal Records is most recently coming off Fractal Energy 4, a quality twilight release that is as good as any that preceded it in the series. But this is also the label that released the steaming pile known as the Brainwash album Maximum Overload. So like Forrest says, you never know what you're going to get. One thing though...what the f*ck is up with that album cover? You got alien spaceships, satellite dishes, a tiger...floating cities?

Total Integration- Dude...how long are we gonna have to wait for your album? Doesn't matter because he is that good. He makes music with an attitude and no exception here. The groove has a chip on its shoulder and dares you to try an knock it off. Like all his stuff it's dark but melodic with the throttle wide open. There are plenty of twists to keep it fresh and the end has a screaming lead that scours your ears clean. Awesome!

Funk Me- "Do you like it hard? Or do you like it fast?"

Well, that depends what's on TV. Can't it be both? If there is something good on the tube it will definitely have to be both. Me likey the Digital Talk. Frenchmen Julien Fougea and Luc Achintre released their latest Audio Extremists last year. Review here. You're welcome. Like their album it ain't the most melodic endeavor you'll hear, but they are still funk masters. Read the title, it's all right there. Still funky though it may be, it is a step down from the opener. Plenty of flow killers in it and I found the lead a little grating. Not your fault guys, it's like bagging a playmate and then having a go at her grandmother. Tough to win that.

Konan The Barbarian- This was also on the Rubix Qube EP Saturate which I reviewed. You lazy motherf*ckers...here.

Since I reviewed it there already I won't say much about it. Super track, but the Terminator is having a rough time of it lately ain't he? People were shocked that he was a womanizer, but I don't know why. Multiple Mr. Olympia titles back in the era when free sex was like an introduction. Besides have you seen Maria Shriver lately? Still, if you're banging the maid you ain't workin' that hard and are just hitting it due to proximity. Arnold, that's just lazy.

Keep The Change- "Keep the change ya filthy animal!"

Orca's debut Fist of Fury was very good and I still spin the Ninja turtle album pretty frequently. This is a clean up hitter that knocks it out of the park. Powerful, aggressive, and it just oozes acid from every pore like a teenager with a raging pimple problem. Groovy as hell and what is known in the business as a true stomper ladies and gentlemen. Ladies, like any of them are reading this. I don't even mind the buildup.

Master of the Krusher- The intro to this is eerie and reminds me of a game I used to play on my PS2 called Nightmare Creatures. I'm still using my PS2. Played Midnight Club Dub Edition today. What? I know it's old, but so am I. Besides money is a bit tight and I am raising a kid you know. The track is pretty massive and in your face. Like I will be if you keep snickering at my PS2. Lasers fly and cybercrime sounds resonate while the groove pulsates. Great stuff that keeps the intensity high with numerous leads.

Intensified Frequency (Ex-Gen Vs. Smashed RMX)- Ex-Gen is pretty reliable in delivering a good track and here the threesome teams up with consistent collaborator Smashed for an acid laden water balloon fight. I haven't heard the original, but when the artist responsible for the original remixes it, tells me he wasn't happy with it. Well, this is some good sh*t right here nephew. Full steam ahead right into the break which is expansive and well done. Then pop! right back into the acid. Loverly!

The Real Deal- Posted Image

A jerry curl and a mullet with a lavender blazer and rhinestones. Wow, that is the tri fecta of embarrassment isn't it? Obviously that isn't Nuno. Everyone knows his blazer is green. All kidding aside (I think) he is like the Godfather of twilight music in a way. If I didn't know any better I would've thought this was part 2 of the last track. Heavy beat, acid lead sticky like a summer cold's sneeze and it is also relentless. It's an all out nutcracker that just assaults with wave after wave of acid. He uses that Vanilla Sky sample from Kurt Russell which is pretty cool. You go Nuno. You go.

Nano Tech (Cybernetix Vs. Terrorbyte RMX)- "A galactic event that takes place only once every twenty five thousand eight hundred years."

Terrorbyte. Terabyte. Get it? This one takes a hard left into darkness with a deep growly bass line and whiplike acid leads. But it's that bass that gets me. It's like getting a funk enema. Groovy as the sounds pile on. It's visceral, like something still alive crawling on the floor even though you thought you smashed it with your boot. F*cking sick.

Brain Purge- And if this compilation wasn't brain crushing enough, the master of dark tech-trance delivers a knock out blow. He is the Trent Reznor of psytrance with his industrial leanings and cyber technology sound. Usually his stuff doesn't wow me, but this kicked ass. A dominating lead with post apocalyptic effects and a groove to match. Did he wake up and hear all these people making twilight music and say "Not in my house bitch." This is an awesome storytelling journey with groove abrasive and melodic sounds. Bravo sir. Bravo.

Star Child- "We begin with the big question...."

Don't I know it. What's for dinner? I had Beef Lo Mein tonight and my son had Lightning Mcqueen noo noos with a pickle, and mandarin oranges. Finished it off with a chocolate milk and some muffin. From a picky eater no less. Sure he stayed up to 10 pm to do it, but I don't give a f*ck. If he eats like that he can stay up as late as he wants. We end the compilation with Mr. I don't make a bad track but in all honesty it's a bit of a letdown. It doesn't have the same power as the previous, what... 9 did? Still he has his acid maker working and minor key strings are in effect. Not bad, but he's got some tough acts to follow.

Man I wasn't even gonna write this one today, but I started listening to it again and the power of acid compelled me. This was smash after smash in full twilight brilliance. The weakest track for me was the Digital Talk one and even that was all right. If you love this type of music, do not hesitate to cop this. Congratulations Fractal Records, you are on what is known as a winning streak.

Psyshop

Beatspace

SaikoSounds

Mdk

• 1 month later...

wow just got this a week ago and was totally blown away!! This is definately the way full-on SHOULD sound IMO, no-nonsense in your face - well... full-on - melodies lol Don't want to hype it up too much but on the first few listens I was thinking "this is definately the full-on equavalent of maximal goatrance like IFO, Pigs In Space, etc". Another thing that striked me was that, contrary to most psy being produced these days, this was clearly made with lsd in mind IMO, the atmospheres, the "bendy" melodies, the odd cover that only a psychonaut could "decypher" etc. OK, a week and a few hundred listens later the magic has rubbed off a bit but it is still by FAR the best full-on I've come across all year. Faves: 1(!!), 3(!!!), 7(!!), 8(!!). All in all, this gets a 4,5/ 5 from me

• 1 year later...