Posted Image

Artist: Zybex

Title: Alien Resistance EP

Label: Ovnimoon Records

Date: February, 2011

1. Alien Resistance

2. Transformation of Consciousness

3. Antihuman

Zybex is Roberto Tello from Chile, pronounced "chilly" so you know he's cool. I found his album Surreal Energy in 2008 to be an enjoyable twilight menagerie. That and the fact that this was released by Ovnimoon Records made me give it a shot. It is a digital release that contains 3 very psychedelic hallucinations. I have never done LSD or cocaine. Never eaten mushrooms or shot heroin. Don't plan to. But take all the despair and sorrow that you can receive from these drugs and put it in one pill. Swallow it and hang on.

Alien Resistance- "Ernest Hemmingway once wrote: The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."

It is and it is. I tell you I could listen to Morgan Freeman recite the details of my mortgage and be riveted. This is evil clown laughter with a Christopher Walken nightmare slant. Dark, very dark with loads of effects and a driving beat. Creepy strings scream for help in the bottomless pit this tune seams to inhabit. Think of it as falling down a long, dark hole while being tormented with the eerie all the way. Yeah, that's got it. Not a melodic opus, but not quite darkpsy either. Not bad.

Transformation of Consciousness- "What I thought was unreal, now.. for me, seems in some ways to be more real than what I think to be real."

Yep, still falling down that hole while the bass line hammers away. It's a soundtrack to every single regret you have, while all the images you would like to forget flicker rapidly in a collage of sorrow. It's groovy and 100% effects driven. My favorite part is the digital farts near the end. Man this really is dark. You've changed man, you've changed. Any second now I expect Pinhead to pop up behind me and put me in that f*cking box.

Antihuman- "Mutation...it is the key to our evolution."

Mutant. Antihuman. Well, what do you think you're gonna find here? Rumbling bass line with alien scratchings. I love it. It grumbles with juicy sounds and far off terror. If the other tracks were falling down the hole, this is what happened to you when you hit the bottom. Psychedelic on a scale hard to come by, shutting out the light like you were locked in a coffin. Don't let them bury me...I'm not dead yet! Favorite part? A slight tinge of melody at the 5 minute mark. It just keeps changing and evolving, making me feel like I'm in a dark forest and every turn is a new vision. Trip....wait for it...py.

For those that like forest trance and darkpsy I would think this would be a good addition to your collection. I'm not fluent in that part of our genre so I would defer to someone who was. It's different than his album, but still very involved. You know how with goa trance today a lot of the music is all sunshine and light? Well, this is the opposite of that. It's full steam ahead and I enjoyed it. An enjoyable hallucination that takes one on a trip to the darker areas of the mind I guess.

Beatport

Mdk

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the review. I would have never found this release otherwise.

The first two tracks are superB dark psytrance, not to be confused with darkpsy. The basslines are deep rolling darkpsy style but the rest is the best quality psytrance out there with some story infused. The first track especially gets really crazy with these distorted melodies.

The 3rd track is pretty good too, a bit more typical darkpsy style.

This is certainly a worthy follow-up to one of the best psytrance albums of 2008 "surreal energy". This artist is one of the best psytrance producers out there.