hey all

Dark_Puppy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ sideeffect I'm checking out all the Praga Khan I've missed through the years on youtube now. :)

Great Posted Image,

Feel free to contact me!

On the metal side, I always preferred the more "symphonic" metal like Dimmu Borgir. (translated, black castle or dark castle)

I remember founders like 'Mayhem' calling them pussies for using 'synths' but I ignored that.

Cradle of filth used that too, and 'Dusk and her embrace' was and is still great!!!

Dark Soho used Cradle of Filth in a track and it was not that bad imo!

Posted Image

Ahaaa Sepultura off course Posted Image

Maybe some Life of Agony!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwXdPfuZ_2Y

They went to Belgium > month ago, I missed it Posted Image

Me love Life of Agony. Their last album Broken Valley with all the original bandmembers rocked.

Never got really into death/doom metal. I preferred "crossover"/trash/groove metal and some prog stuff. Pantera is by far my favourite metalband. Nice to see we've got some real metalheadz here. B)

Me love Life of Agony. Their last album Broken Valley with all the original bandmembers rocked.

Never got really into death/doom metal. I preferred "crossover"/trash/groove metal and some prog stuff. Pantera is by far my favourite metalband.

I recently bought Life of Agony's new album 'Life Of Agony's 20 Years Strong.'

CD1 : River runs red live the entire release (to be honest, you will prefer the debut album)

CD2: DVD with one of their last live performances.

It's good, but I noticed his voice is not what is it used to be. They are getting old.

Interview with Life of Agony bassist Alan Robert

Pantera off course, Cowboys from Hell!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DfYLar2QGI

Nice to see we've got some real metalheadz here. B)

+1

Pantera is pretty badass. Well was for me because they've since been replaced by lots of harder stuff. I got the Vulgar Display of Power cd first, loved it.. played it til I couldn't stand it anymore, then moved on to Crowbar (produced by Phil Anselmo from Pantera) then slowly evolved to Death Metal altogether, leaving a lot of lesser metal to collect dust on the shelves. :rolleyes: However there is one Pantera song I still like and listen to every once in a while. Cemetery Gates.

Hopefully we're cool talking about metal here on psynews :P Since it's in the Off Topic section after all.

@sideeffect - I had never really heard of Dimmu before watching some random videos back in 2004 and I saw Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. I was so moved that FINALLY, a black metal band (which is controversial to call them that, some would label them death and argue about it) got away from the goofy forest scene videos and had effects and symphonies going on and I was hooked. For me, all music is about feeling, moods, hell I don't even know half the words to death metal songs. Don't care to know them either. bands like Mayhem are ok, I even have a cd or two somewhere upstairs buried, but they disappoint on the whole fist making eyes rolling back in the head feeling of hatred and darkness pumping through my veins that I want to feel when I listen to dark/doom/death/black metal. Some of those bands sound like they recorded the entire album from a phone set up in their garage. And their videos as cheesy looking like something some college students did with a crappy VHS camcorder. I guess it just all comes down to what you like..

I dig these guys.. An Australian metalcore band.. Parkway Drive . To me these guys (and others) have way surpassed what Pantera could do.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2owvED_7t8&feature=related

and this German Death metal band.. Heaven Shall Burn

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTkZt8r2lko

1:00 and beyond it's brutal. :D

@sideeffect - I had never really heard of Dimmu before watching some random videos back in 2004 and I saw Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. I was so moved that FINALLY, a black metal band (which is controversial to call them that, some would label them death and argue about it) got away from the goofy forest scene videos and had effects and symphonies going on and I was hooked. For me, all music is about feeling, moods, hell I don't even know half the words to death metal songs. Don't care to know them either. bands like Mayhem are ok, I even have a cd or two somewhere upstairs buried, but they disappoint on the whole fist making eyes rolling back in the head feeling of hatred and darkness pumping through my veins that I want to feel when I listen to dark/doom/death/black metal. Some of those bands sound like they recorded the entire album from a phone set up in their garage. And their videos as cheesy looking like something some college students did with a crappy VHS camcorder. I guess it just all comes down to what you like..

I know what you mean,

Well Dimmu Borgir got famous in 1998 with 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' that was released in 1997. I got the album original and still like it.

Mayhem were the founders just like Immortal (who are now more commercial) and preferred a low profile, and hated commercialization!

That's why the bad recording, videos etc... + don't forget back then recording/producing was not what it is now, but they selected not to!

You should read Mayhem's story.

The first lead singer shot him self and the rest of the members, took a pic of his corpse and used it for their next album, they froze his brain and ate pieces of it and made crosses from his skull Posted Image.

Most of them are in prison for burning churches and christian stuff. They were too extreme imo. Music is about storytelling, not actual destroying life!

I know what you mean,

Well Dimmu Borgir got famous in 1998 with 'Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' that was released in 1997. I got the album original and still like it.

Mayhem were the founders just like Immortal (who are now more commercial) and preferred a low profile, and hated commercialization!

That's why the bad recording, videos etc...

You should read Mayhem's story.

The first lead singer shot him self and the rest of the members, took a pic of his corpse and used it for their next album, they froze his brain and ate pieces of it and made crosses from his skull Posted Image.

Most of them are in prison for burning churches and christian stuff. They were too extreme imo. Music is about storytelling, not actual destroying life!

I watched a documentary on black metal on Netflix not long ago.. Saw this story and the dude from Burzum who is still in jail for burning a church. Also realized that many people in that area can't stand Christianity and how it ruined their ancestor heritage, burned documents and whatnot .. even built a church on sacred ground. So I could almost understand them doing that.. It's still arson though.

I've collected everything Dimmu made on cd's.. Will be a fan for a long time. Cradle of Filth doesn't really impress me.. just can't get past those vocals.. ugh

Cradle of Filth doesn't really impress me.. just can't get past those vocals.. ugh

I've got all their releases original until 'cruelty and the beast'

I like his voice, but their pattern has become more death metal instead of black metal. (less symphonic)

So I lost my interest.

I've got all their releases original until 'cruelty and the beast'

I like his voice, but their pattern has become more death metal instead of black metal. (less symphonic)

So I lost my interest.

a friend of mine burned me their last album from 2010? or 2011 I dunno.. I don't even remember what it's name was.. I listened to a couple songs, ejected the cd, threw it away, and went back to something else. lol Glad I didn't buy it.

a friend of mine burned me their last album from 2010? or 2011 I dunno.. I don't even remember what it's name was.. I listened to a couple songs, ejected the cd, threw it away, and went back to something else. lol Glad I didn't buy it.

Same over here.

You should check their earlier stuff.

Like I mentioned before.

'Dusk and her embrace'

http://www.discogs.c...ce/master/11177

Posted Image

If you don't like that, then indeed Cradle of Filth is not your taste!

'Dusk and her embrace'

If you don't like that, then indeed Cradle of Filth is not your taste!

so far I do.. I guess their new stuff just blows. :lol:

Have you checked out the new Behemoth? I love this video..

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZC2Llg6EA&feature=related

and even more trippy, someone mixed it with a Lady Gaga Song audio and video.. It's really not that bad!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCU1mGcGn4o&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_716175

so far I do.. I guess their new stuff just blows. :lol:

Have you checked out the new Behemoth? I love this video..

I just listened. It's sounds good, and indeed a great video.

But like I said in the PM, I'm not looking for new stuff when it comes to Metal,

Not because I think it is no good, but my music priorities have changed since 1998 Posted Image and my collection has a certain nostalgia.

You should google Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes! Released in 1993 I think.

Has been my favo black metal album for years.

Posted Image

The fourth track Black Winter Day is pure symphony. It's perfect!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxG5pjI8wLk

I just listened. It's sounds good, and indeed a great video.

But like I said in the PM, I'm not looking for new stuff when it comes to Metal,

Not because I think it is no good, but my music priorities have changed since 1998 Posted Image and my collection has a certain nostalgia.

You should google Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes! Released in 1993 I think.

Here's a more modern version of Amorphis style.. Kivimetsän Druidi is from Finland.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vp6I6kRjTM

not that you're looking for it.. but here it is. B)

Here's a more modern version of Amorphis style.. Kivimetsän Druidi is from Finland.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vp6I6kRjTM

not that you're looking for it.. but here it is. B)

Thanx, Amorphis is still on my playlist, I'll give this a chance Posted Image

this is more of what I have in mind (for my taste)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=A286P8r42pk

very good!

reminds me of the sound of Mithotyn with an added classical instrument layer...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kLI1nkrz2E&feature=related

very good!

reminds me of the sound of Mithotyn with an added classical instrument layer...

Viking metal is epic! :D Back in the day I listened to Unleashed. Now it's evolved into Amon Amarth.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzC-BNLQP4

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_1kZ-p5yY

I saw Unleashed live already, playing on Paganfest 2009.

Interestingly, they came here not long ago on Paganfest 2011, but I didn't go ... they are not that good IMO.

Amon Amarth is a different caliber. They are amazing and one of the bands I absolutely want to see - still haven't seen them.

Luckily they are coming to METALFEST Austria 2011 and I'm going to see them there ... if I'm not too drunk that is, fingers crossed!

Hehe... :D

Amon Amarth is a different caliber. They are amazing and one of the bands I absolutely want to see - still haven't seen them.

Luckily they are coming to METALFEST Austria 2011 and I'm going to see them there ... if I'm not too drunk that is, fingers crossed!

I've seen them a couple times. Pretty good live. One time it was kind of funny because the vocalist was talking to the crowd between songs in that rough, cookie monster voice, and he couldn't keep it up. His voice cracked up into a normal voice and he was like "Uh...uh..." then a moment later went back into the cookie monster voice. :D

I saw Unleashed live already, playing on Paganfest 2009.

Interestingly, they came here not long ago on Paganfest 2011, but I didn't go ... they are not that good IMO.

I wonder how different Unleashed is now versus mid 90s when I got into them?

The only death metal band I've seen live is DevilDriver. Got to stand right up front and was within spitting distance ! awesome concert.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4G4FcPzeIw

I wonder how different Unleashed is now versus mid 90s when I got into them?

The only death metal band I've seen live is DevilDriver. Got to stand right up front and was within spitting distance ! awesome concert.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4G4FcPzeIw

Oh man ... you definitely gotta see more...

Devil Driver is not bad ... but there is sooo much more out there

I personally think you are not a full blown metalhead unless you have danced in the devil's circle together with some strangers to this song:

(okay, this might be a little over the top ... but still, the song is great ... and now go make a moshpit or the trolls eat you:)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkVwA__Fk9g

total pownage

espesially now when drunk :P

Finntroll, go see them B)

Yea Devil Driver is amongst a sea of just ok hardcore metal. I was just saying they were the only band I've ever seen live, other than local talent. I had only recently discovered Opeth now that you brought them up.. I am very impressed with their music personally. I can't say they are hardcore by any means, but some of their deeper melodic songs have a nice flow.

There are just too many bands of every genre anymore. It's nice for variety, but you'd go broke buying all the albums, especially when many of the bands can only have one or four songs that are even worth hearing.

Before I had brought up the point that with like metalheads, there is a lot of unnecessary competition over who's band is better than who's band. With all the fans competing for hardcore, it's almost like seeing sports fans bicker over who's teams are better than someone else's. sad really, considering I and many like me can like many different styles of anything, doesn't mean I'm this or that or anything. Just look at all the idiots comments on about any metal band posted on youtube and the ensuing flame wars. I've had friends and even an exwife who gave me shit cuz I liked goofy punk music or romantic R&B from the 80s. It's all about what you like at the end.

Before I had brought up the point that with like metalheads, there is a lot of unnecessary competition over who's band is better than who's band. With all the fans competing for hardcore, it's almost like seeing sports fans bicker over who's teams are better than someone else's. sad really, considering I and many like me can like many different styles of anything, doesn't mean I'm this or that or anything. Just look at all the idiots comments on about any metal band posted on youtube and the ensuing flame wars. I've had friends and even an exwife who gave me shit cuz I liked goofy punk music or romantic R&B from the 80s. It's all about what you like at the end.

I think you know the wrong people :(

Most Metalheads I know are nice, joyful, open and tolerant people. Actually they are chilled people and it's very unfitting to the hardness of the music. Interestingly they remind me more of hippies (the tolerant and nice side of hippies) than some psytrancers of today are doing. I even talked with them about it ... very interesting.

Maybe it's the diversity of our Europe region (country-wise) that makes us more open ... I don't know.

You should come over here for a metal festival and get decently drunk with us B)

I think you know the wrong people :(

Most Metalheads I know are nice, joyful, open and tolerant people. Actually they are chilled people and it's very unfitting to the hardness of the music. Interestingly they remind me more of hippies (the tolerant and nice side of hippies) than some psytrancers of today are doing. I even talked with them about it ... very interesting.

Maybe it's the diversity of our Europe region (country-wise) that makes us more open ... I don't know.

You should come over here for a metal festival and get decently drunk with us B)

I haven't been decently drunk in about 2 years. :(