cover.jpg

Artist: Zabra
Title: Waterworld EP
Label: Spiral Trax
Date: 1998

1. Waterworld
2. A Trip Back
3. Fluorotronik

You ever find something that someone else thought was worthless, but you knew to be a gem? How many stories do you have to hear about some schmuck finding a f*cking Picasso at a yard sale because the dipsh*t that owned the big ugly picture never bothered to look underneath the picture his grandmother gave him? Oh here's a good one...some guy is getting rid of his comic books that he has collected since he was a kid, but he's a grown man so he doesn't need to hang on to this kid stuff any longer. Yeah, this is what was in the stack:

action-comic-1-300x.jpg?w=236&h=370

Yeah, that's the 1st appearance of Superman. In 2005 that book was worth $485,000. This was the seller shortly after finding out about what he had done.

I don't have a good story like that. I didn't find this at a corner record store that was trying to get rid of their electronica for pennies on the dollar. My grandmother definitely didn't give this to me. She was more of a gangsta rap fan.

fWf1EtU.jpg

Represent grandma. Westside.

I found this on the net somewhere. Never heard of the guy nor the release, but I decided to give it a try. That was when I got that feeling of finding a diamond in the rough. Who the hell is this guy? This was all he released? What happened? So many questions and no answers. Well, that's not true. His name is Zwi (really?) Akierman and this was his only release under the Zabra name. I don't know why because this dude had talent. This was so good I had to listen to it again and again. I felt like Luigi in the movie CARS: "I must scream it to the world from the top of someplace very high!" Read that quote in a thick Italian accent, it sounds better.

Waterworld- I love the ominous sound of a submarine ping and the sound of dolphins as the track gets up to speed. The leads undulate, like a invertebrate sea creature caught up in the tide, as he adds multiple layers. His groove is on point but a little more variety would've made this one much better.

A Trip Back- The bass line is quick and elusive like a snake here reminding me of Colorbox. The leads dance in the sunshine, swirling around each other and getting more company as the track evolves. This is very dance friendly and I love hearing it.

Fluorotronik- Did he save the best for last? Why yes, yes he did. This is delightfully dark and that is reinforced by the break. Sinister melodies flutter around that bass line becoming quite juicy! A thumping good time.

So this was a definite find. Pure talent for goa trance and I would love for a label like DAT to find this guy and see if he has any interest in producing a goa trance album. Where to find this? I think you would have to search the net, but I will be frequenting some record stores and yard sales. Hey...you never know.

Mdk

Simply an amazing EP. All tracks are old school goa stormers. Waterworld was the only track to appear anywhere else and this was all they apparently produced which is a shame. Under-appreciated for sure.