6. Stellar Pulsations

7. No End

8. Love Recycled (Part 1)

9. Love Recycled (Part 2)

10. Beats Recycled

11. Watch My Dreams

12. Cycle Of Life

13. Cycle Of Life (Vicious Circle)

Omnitropic is a dowmtempo and ambient label started by Basilisk and Akhentek with some very good releases. Phobium is Henning Helland Ottesen (wow, that name is unfortunate) from Norway who released a psytrance album Future Uncertain. I think I heard it, but I also heard my Dad yelling at me when I was younger...that didn't stay with me either.

Although this music was made over 5 years ago, it is only now being given for free. This comes as one downloadable file plus a .cue file.

Posted Image

Oh for God's sake...if you insist on being a whinny pussy there are programs you can use to separate the tracks. Normally that's what I would do, but it works better as one file as it is mixed. If you keep it as one file the tracks flow seamlessly into each other and that adds to the scope of this endeavor.

Lost Consciousness- The title of this track is so apropos. I think I actually did lose consciousness during this dull extravaganza. If I had paid for him to twiddle with the presets in a droning manner I would've been so pissed off. I mean c'mon, really? A 6 minute mixture of poor drone and silence? You've got a lot of balls, buddy. I understand setting the mood, I do...but

Posted Image

Gazing At The Comet's Tail- OK, now I'm on board as pads float high above the scorched Earth. It's icy cold as you watch the sun reflect off the chilly waters of Greenland. Time slows as a glacier floats by while seals crawl upon its surface. Pure ambient.

Take My Hand- More of the same dreamy, floating ambient. So far, the most complex piece with more than a couple of sounds. Imagine traveling in a spacecraft to a large space station positioned high above the Earth. Perhaps leaving family and friends behind and thinking of how simple life used to be.

Left Alone- This seems like a continuation of the previous track as the melody slowly picks up where the other left off. More drifting and floating. Holy sh*t someone check my pulse.

Posted Image

The Mirror- This is one of the shortest tracks here and go figure I really like it. It's got a fuller sound with thick strings. Where the other tracks were cold this is warm, as if looking at a planet through a huge window on a space station. De-f*cking-licious.

Stellar Pulsations- Just like the title says, pulses fire slowly as you bear witness to the incredible activity of the cosmos. Deep, simple,and mesmerizing.

No End- The pulses continue as perhaps you are viewing an alien battle from the same gigantic window. The ominous tone of the strings reveal that it probably isn't going so well.

Love Recycled (Part One)- Rumbling drones as a percussive clinking rings down a dark corridor. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I missed the connection with love, but I can be an uncaring bastard.

Posted Image

Love Recycled (Part Two)- This is a little lighter with some actual pad and string melody maybe recalling love lost. Sounds chime high above all as a booming drum thunders below.

Beats Recycled- F*cking hell, more recycling? All it is is the fading of the boom and a scratchy effect. So technically, I guess it is recycled. Dude that's weak, just tack it onto the last track...

Watch My Dreams-

Posted Image

I didn't like it. 11 minutes of floating pads and rising synths...I'm over that now. What else ya got?

Cycle of Life- "One woman can make you fly like an eagle. Another can give you the strength of a lion. But only one in the cycle of life can fill your heart with wonder...and the wisdom you have in noticing her joy."

This is the first track with any sort of motion in it. It's ominous with pads and a bass line churning below a soft hi-hat. After the above sample it's back to the beginning refrain. Not bad.

Cycle of Live (Vicious Circle)- Holy sh*t a kick drum! Now just imagine the previous track in 4/4 time with the kick. Yep, you got it now. This basically made the previous track all but irrelevant.

I'm glad I committed to this and gave it a chance. Beatless ambient is oftentimes hard for me to digest as I either cannot remain awake or I get lost in it's "airyness" that I lose focus. It took a lot of listens for me to interpret the story he was trying to tell. You can't listen to this as separate tracks, as it needs to be digested in it's entirety. The only thing I can really recommend if you are going to listen to this straight through...DO NOT take any pills because you might not wake up.

Download from Ektoplazm

Mdk

Thanks for the criticism. I see where you are coming from. The reason I began to do it this way, was because reading a wall of text for every review was tedious, boring and unmemorable. While I do not want to rely on gifs, how many times can you describe the same thing?

I use the gifs for humor obviously, but I also try to describe the track in detail, just like I did in the past.

Bottom line, you can't please everyone. I do this because I enjoy it and I hope it helps spread info about releases some might of missed. If it makes you chuckle while you're reading it, so much the better.

Mdk

• 3 weeks later...