Vinyl Anyone

visine

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy customized or limited edition vinyl records of your favorite artists?

• yes, I know it may cost little more due to higher production and shipping costs but I'd buy it
    • no, I would only buy CD's, but not vinyl records
    • no, I would only buy digital downloads, but not vinyl records
    • no, I would only buy digital dowloads or CD's, but not vinyl records

Apparently, vinyl records made a small scale comeback recently.

Have a look here:http://wax.fm/vinyl_is_back_articles/

There's a collection of articles that describe the phenomenon that took place.

According to Nielsen Soundscan, vinyl record sales have doubled from 2007 to 2009.

It's interesting how some bands and small independant labels (outside of psy scene) are making custom made, limited editions for their fan

base and doing quite well.

I especially like this article: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_658619.html

Not sure if you noticed, but Shpongle has released a small , limited, hand numbered edition of their last album "Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland" on vinyl.

There were 300 LP's made, 270 of which were sold commercially and 30 kept in Twisted archives.

They sold out on their website in a matter of a few weeks. Asked them if they have any left, but they are all gone, much like a few fans on their forum board that found out about vinyl LP release too late.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any people here would still be willing to buy records if they were available, perhaps as some sort of a special edition?

You can cast your vote above, so let's see what happens.

I say, I would still be willing to buy them if they are somehow offering something different than the CD medium.

Not sure if you noticed, but Shpongle has released a small , limited, hand numbered edition of their last album "Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland" on vinyl.

There were 300 LP's made, 270 of which were sold commercially and 30 kept in Twisted archives.

They sold out on their website in a matter of a few weeks. Asked them if they have any left, but they are all gone, much like a few fans on their forum board that found out about vinyl LP release too late.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any people here would still be willing to buy records if they were available, perhaps as some sort of a special edition?

Cool thread... The recent rise of the vinyl medium is a phenomenon which has been on the rise these past few years, true.

However, I wonder if it's an actual rise, or just a stronger advertising campaign. For the last decade or so, vinyl slowly moved out of the public eye, and its price began to decrease as well, which was a true gift to fans of wax. Now, there are new albums pressed on vinyl all over shops in Zagreb... Which is a weird sight, especially after many years gone by when second hand shops were the only place where you could come across 12" etc.

The strictly limited edition aesthetic is a path pursued by many labels, especially outside the psy trance scene: they provide button badges, colored vinyls, glossy photo paper inserts, exclusive cover artworks, enhanced cover arts and what not with their limited edition 12" pressings.

Personally, I have always been the one to prefer vinyl. But that has a lot to do with my folks as well. My mom is a musician, with too many records to count, two record players, so it has been a medium I was into since what now seems like forever. It's kind of hard to explain why, but I just like vinyl. In fact, I spent more money and invested more time on my bed room set-up than on my computer. My turntable + the amlpifier + the speaker system are awesome, and playing music in my room provides me with countless hours of immense pleasure. CDs are cool as well, and are way more practical to use, but the sound quality of the vinyl cannot be emulated, and that's it. The large cover art, the occasional etchings in the run-out groove, the surprise when you receive a record which plays insde out - for me, vinyl wins this round!

The, to make an example, my computer is competent for checking mail and surfing discogs. Like hell do I have the nerve to stare at those Windows Media Player screen savers, sit in front of my monitor and "watch" music go by.

I loved vinyl in my time in the 70's & 80's it was my life, but I really can't see the point in releasing anything on Vinyl now. and I don't know if you remember but it was rubbish - all that hissing, poping and jumping about. and it was very un-green, after it's use you can't really do anything with vinyl apart from stick it in landfill sites. because of it's bulk it's twice the transport costs.

Interesting points so far.

I'm pleasantly surprised that 7 out of 10 people said "yes" to the special vinyl editions.

I thought some would be into it, but not majority.

Speaking of limited adition LP's here are some pictures to check out (scroll down each page to see the actual records):

Are you shpongled ltd edition vinyl: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1120451

Tales of The Inexpressible: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1292685

TIP Mu Clear (Japanese LP version) http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=596980

I think Autechre released their new album as an specially designed LP and whoever bought it gets to dowload the Wav files of the songs too.

Check it out here: http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=23072

Vinyl is the sexiest music medium ever. I still buy vinyl whenever I can, not only old, but also new stuff. One thing that I've observed is that lots of more alternative bands offer their recordings on vinyl at their shows. In the Post-Rock scene for instance, vinyl is everywhere, and Tool have got some really amazing limited picture discs as well:

Tool - Lateralus

Recently I entered a record store just out of boredom (Switzerlands biggest, actually, and not too fancy at all), and I was pleasantly surprised that they built a new vinyl compartment, offering vinyl versions of lots of contemporary popular music.

Now, one question regarding the "Are You Shpongled" limited edition: It's said that the release was limited to 350 copies, but numbered inconsistently. I've got one as well; the sleeve looks just like the one in the picture, and it is hand-numbered by the same handwriting (mine is no. 654), but what's bugging me a bit now is that mine is plain usual black vinyl, not transparent as in the picture...any idea???

Now, one question regarding the "Are You Shpongled" limited edition: It's said that the release was limited to 350 copies, but numbered inconsistently. I've got one as well; the sleeve looks just like the one in the picture, and it is hand-numbered by the same handwriting (mine is no. 654), but what's bugging me a bit now is that mine is plain usual black vinyl, not transparent as in the picture...any idea???

I think the one you have is this one: http://www.discogs.com/Shpongle-Are-You-Shpongled/release/35888

From what I gather, the first 1000 copies of the "regular" vinyl were numbered with that label and subsequent represses were not.

That "clear vinyl" LP is a separate special edition of 350.

I think the one you have is this one: http://www.discogs.com/Shpongle-Are-You-Shpongled/release/35888

From what I gather, the first 1000 copies of the "regular" vinyl were numbered with that label and subsequent represses were not.

There's a copy for sale there where seller is saying it has no. 1077 on it :huh:

There's a copy for sale there where seller is saying it has no. 1077 on it :huh:

Thanks, both of you.

Goa-Head: Nice observation. Moreover, the sleeve shown in the pictures linked to by visine shows no. 609...

Maybe they really just randomly numbered 350 respectively 1000 exemplaries. In any case, I'm happy to own this grand release on vinyl! :wub:

If by "customized, limited edition", you mean priced more than a normal vinyl pressing, then no. But I WOULD buy a reasonably-priced album on vinyl as long as it sounded good. Best if it were specifically mastered for vinyl, not just the same mix run through an RIAA filter.

If by "customized, limited edition", you mean priced more than a normal vinyl pressing, then no. But I WOULD buy a reasonably-priced album on vinyl as long as it sounded good. Best if it were specifically mastered for vinyl, not just the same mix run through an RIAA filter.

You're right "customized" can mean many things.

To me, ideally it would mean something extra that would be included in the whole release for example:

- maybe extra 12" with previously unreleased tracks not found elsewhere like some rock bands are doing,

- extra cool artwork (or package) like Designer's Republic did for Autechre's LP,

- access to Wav files you can download so you have the release in electronic format as well

- I heard of some rock bands including a DVD of their live performance with the package with the vinyl LP

- heavyweight, better quality vinyl (the last Shpongle's album vinyl edition is HEAVY)

- perhaps some sort of artwork on the vinyl itself

- extra length posters of some sort

.just some ideas I've heard and seen people do that would be cool to see more of in Psy scene.

I think it's inevitable when you factor above ideas and shipping costs from the label to distributor and distributor to the customer such a release would cost a few bucks more than a "regular" CD or a download, but not unreasonably expensive based

on what I've seen. Hell, I'd much rather pay $20 for an extra cool vinyl LP that also includes Wav downloads, than $15 for Wav downloads alone they charge today.

Thanks, both of you.

Goa-Head: Nice observation. Moreover, the sleeve shown in the pictures linked to by visine shows no. 609...

Maybe they really just randomly numbered 350 respectively 1000 exemplaries. In any case, I'm happy to own this grand release on vinyl! :wub:

Yes, very interesting observation :)

I looked at the submitter's log on Discogs and here is what they discussed when they were editing the release about 1 year ago:

"draeke: it is clearly NOT limited to 350 as my copy is number 609 and i know a guy having number 360, how bout that :)?

inexpressible: this info came directly from Simon H of Twisted Records, and he should know it.

don't ask me what weird system they used for numbering the sleeves though. :)"

I think both Draeke and Inexpressible are members of this forum too, so maybe they can shed some more light on the subject.

I always wonder why and what's the reason why Goa trance on vinyl declined and almost ended after 2000.

Take some basic music styles:

Techno

House

Drum n Bass

Breakbeat

Other Trance, to mention 5 styles.

All these are still released on vinyl almost as much as the old days. What could have happened with Psychedelic trance?

I always wonder why and what's the reason why Goa trance on vinyl declined and almost ended after 2000.

Take some basic music styles:

Techno

House

Drum n Bass

Breakbeat

Other Trance, to mention 5 styles.

All these are still released on vinyl almost as much as the old days. What could have happened with Psychedelic trance?

Yeah, good question I'd love to hear an answer to from the labels.

I would guess higher shipping costs relative to the CD's were maybe a part of the reason.

Once Flying distribution went bankrupt, it snowballed and lead to some labels closing their doors due to financial trouble.

Those that survived due to Flying distribution trouble and many other reasons had to probably look for more cost-effective and "do it yourself" solutions during those days, so they stay afloat.

That unfortunately meant no vinyl medium as it required separate investments into vinyl mastering, extra shiping/transport costs, separate pressing costs etc.

However, what I'm seeing lately is that there seems to be a small, niche market for this type of a medium if it's done right.

In other words, you are not likely to break even if you press 5000 LP's that are almost exactly the same as the CD, but if you do a small, special edition run incorporating some of the ideas we mentioned here in this thread, there's probably an opportunity to sell it.

I think one of the reason is that Psytrance was never really made for DJing. Take Techno or Drum and Bass, where you can still play around with the tunes, overlap them, mix with more than two players etc. That's pretty much impossible with Psytrance where each track is a finished piece of art (well, in the ideal case, you know what I mean).

Another reason could be that in Psytrance there are almost no mixed CDs released. I was discussing this with a friend of mine, and he said that when he would make some small Techno gathering with 20-50 people, they would just play a few mixed CDs. In Psytrance, we organise DJs and Live Acts even for such small parties ;) And obviously it's easier to earn basic mixing skills on CDJs than turntables.

Don't know if that's any reasonable, it's just a thought.

I think the shpongle vinyls are among the best pieces of my collection. I simply love them and even if i should keep them more safe i play them a lot. they may loose reselling value but the sound they produce is really beautiful.

coming to know that there was a limited 300 copies press of the last album is really a bad thing as i don't have one. I really will look hard now to obtain a copy. were they colored/transparent or black?

Regarding colored or rainbow vinyls i think the quality is OK, it may not be the special 180gr super heavy vinyl but hey, they play well!

About my statement of being limited to 1000 copies i may be wrong, as inexpressible noted, if Simon H told him they are 350 that's probably true. It may be that they hand numbered all the vinyls produced of shpongle randomly or i don't know how to explain the sleeve thing. Maybe they received the batches separately and numbered some before, some later.. no idea. Fact is i have number 609 (the pictures on discogs are all mine by the way) adn can't tell u if they numbered from 500 to 850 or from 600 to 950 or who knows..

Now I can say I need the newest shpongle!! they should have warned all the loyal customers with a mailing list or smth! bah!

I think the shpongle vinyls are among the best pieces of my collection. I simply love them and even if i should keep them more safe i play them a lot. they may loose reselling value but the sound they produce is really beautiful.

coming to know that there was a limited 300 copies press of the last album is really a bad thing as i don't have one. I really will look hard now to obtain a copy. were they colored/transparent or black?

Regarding colored or rainbow vinyls i think the quality is OK, it may not be the special 180gr super heavy vinyl but hey, they play well!

About my statement of being limited to 1000 copies i may be wrong, as inexpressible noted, if Simon H told him they are 350 that's probably true. It may be that they hand numbered all the vinyls produced of shpongle randomly or i don't know how to explain the sleeve thing. Maybe they received the batches separately and numbered some before, some later.. no idea. Fact is i have number 609 (the pictures on discogs are all mine by the way) adn can't tell u if they numbered from 500 to 850 or from 600 to 950 or who knows..

Now I can say I need the newest shpongle!! they should have warned all the loyal customers with a mailing list or smth! bah!

Yeah this one is 180 gram black vinyl. I could have sworn they are even heavier because the LP feels very heavy when I hold it.

The thing was sold out so quickly that they haven't even managed to take down the announcement page from the Twisted website yet.

It's still on the front page of their website and also here: http://www.twistedmusic.com/news/news_shpongle_ineffable_-_limited_vinyl_edition/

There was another member here at Psynews that was saying he has it in that "what new music did you get" thread so maybe he'll sell it to you.

I guess I'm in the minority that isn't really interested in Vinyl. I prefer digital (FLAC) downloads if possible, then CDs. For me it's about the music, not so much the packaging/collecting. I also don't DJ which is a common reason to get Vinyl.

Not that I have anything against Vinyl. :) It would be nice if albums got released in as many formats as possible, but I guess a lot of these psy albums sell so few copies that it's not possible without losing money.