6. black light

PHYX

7. stay alive

POISON

8. anger management

TRYAMBAKA

9. sphere

PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT

Are the masters of insane South-African psychotrance really on their 27th CD release? This label has been nothing if not consistent in releasing some of the most brain twisting and melodic twilight psy over the past few years. Just check out their Discography. I guess you know you have made it if you get your own appreciation thread here at Psynews. Posted Image I make no apologies for being a Timecode fanboy (as have others) as each new offering is an instabuy. You will always receive quality production from this South African label, hands down. Well, enough fellatio, what have we got in the box?

This effort was put together by one of their newer artists, Anestetic. The tracklisting shows some of the Timedcode vets as well as newcomers Poizon and Cybernetix. The style remains South African, with dark atmospheres and heavy beats. The melodies are still there, albeit somewhat stripped down sometimes revealing a bare bones approach. First let me say that this is still good music and still true to the Timecode mantra. What is missing is the chaotic, catch your breath moments. Where the tracks are so intense your adrenaline is threatening to go into overload. I didn't feel that way at all with any of the tracks. When you listen to their previous records such as "Trojan" or "Future Cuts" the madness was there. There were twists and turns, evolving storylines and deep layers of chaos. The acid lines that brought you to the highest high are absent and perhaps there should be some "filling out" in the tracks.

I like that they are doing different things and I am very glad I got this. Music cannot stay the same, it has to evolve otherwise it risks becoming stale. I feel however that this is not one of their stronger efforts. I mean, does anyone think that Principles of Flight fit the TC sound? (No offense intended as I liked their track here.) Have I jumped off the TC bandwagon or have we witnessed the demise of a once proud label? Absolutely not. What TC can do that very few other labels can (nods to Nexus Media) is that it can bring the power to psytrance without sacrificing the little things that give it that psychedelic, dark atmosphere.

Mdk

Saikosounds

• 1 month later...

I have to both agree and disagree with you: something found in previous albums is not here. However, I don’t thick it’s madness; it’s intensity. Phyx’s track is good, but I didn’t hyperventilate while listening to it. Something’s going on here. But that is not a bad thing. I love this album because it’s highly experimental. It explores the melodic side and gives the producers a chance to show off their formal musical background. Just listen to the Artifakt track, it summarizes everything I just said. Even the tracks by Posion have interesting harmonic compositions. BTW, those guys are ill. One of the best new TC acquisitions.

As for Principles of Flight, they might not have the TC “sound” production-wise, but they make very good trance and have a very distinctive sound. POF is talented enough to be on TC. I thought their track was an excellent display of technique and music theory, although it was ridiculously long. On the other hand, no words can describe how much I loathe the D_Maniac track. It should have been released on Chemical Crew. Yes, it is that horrid and lame. And the very fact that a TC album includes this song worries me. Not every tracks released in a TC compilation has been good, but this is the first time I hear a cheesy track in a TC album. That could be the real demise of one of the most respected labels out there.

The Brethren song kicks too much ass. It reminded me of Dirty 80s (Psysex & IM) with a South African edge. Anyway, I’m sure you already heard Tokoloshe. I am more than satisfied with that album. I mean, I need a cigarette and a shower after listening to it. I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two since they have different purposes. If you are after intense chaos, go for Tokoloshe. If you are looking for something more experimental and melodic (in a creepy medieval way), Kartuxo does the trick.

• 4 years later...

wgtb9Aj.gif

It's not often that I come back to a review but listening to this compilation again I felt like chiming in. Another go round with this has convinced me that while more experimental Kartuxo is also the weakest effort from Timecode in a long time. I'm with WJ in wondering how the D_Maniac track gets on here. It drags the Timecode legacy into the mud with it's insipid commercial sound. Send that sh*t to Terror Lab Industries.

No wait, f*ck that. They're violent. Send it to Nutek. I've yet to hear a good track from this artist and am starting to wonder if he has incriminating pictures of some powerful people. The first two tracks were dark and reminiscent of what you would expect. However the rest is lacking the power and the mayhem.

This label has an outstanding resume, but this isn't their brightest moment.

Mdk