Have you ever collaborated with another artist?

And if you do, how exactly does it work?

I mean:

1. Do you have to use the same music software?

I guess not, but if someone works with Cubase and the other one works with FL how's that work?

2. Do you decide from the beginning who's gonna write what?

For example one will write the melodies, the other will work with the bass/percussion etc.? Or you're going with the flow?

3. Does someone writes a part of the track, then the other takes the track from there and works on it, then the other... and so on? (I think Younger Brother use that ''technique'').

Or one artist writes an early version of the track, then the other one adds things and so on?

4. What if you dislike something that the other artist wrote?

5. If you collaborate through internet (like Aes Dana & Solar Fields did in the last HUVA Network album), how often do you communicate? Who decides when the track is finished and when is not?

6. Who chooses the name of the track? :P

Possibly all these questions are stupid, but I always thought that collaborations are complicated, though there are so common especially in psy.

:unsure:

Yes I have.

I started to reply to each point individually, but I ended up saying pretty much the same thing in each case: it depends on the individuals involved and your respective goals with the collaboration. It shouldn't be too hard; if you have difficulties agreeing on things, you might want to rethink the collaboration, otherwise I'd say just wing it. But I guess it also depends on how serious you are about the music you are creating together - my few collaborations were casual, so I didn't really care that the end product wasn't something I would care to make by myself.

I think I only have one of my collaborations online right now. There's a song here called "Divine Believer" which was a remix of my song "Divine Conflicts" with vocals:

http://veracohr.dmusic.com/music/

I have another song which is kind of Euro-trance I guess, and another one that is a dark, slow industrial sounding thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have collaborated over the internet for a long time with this guy.. it is quite nice, and simple..

this is how we worked:

1.) creating samples from each and others work. i.e, i was making these chords that the tune could be in, A, F, H, or whatever... passed it to that guy for him to start making his suggestion og pads, or bassline etc, and i would do the same... then sharing over the web, to see what was good or bad in each and others samples.. frome there the work is really straight-forward, because from that point, me, and probably both of us had some kind of melody in our head, that we were starting to make different version of, until we find one that we are (for now) satisfied with... for melody sharing, using MIDI scores is very very helpful. your daw/sequencers native score fileformat is in much cases not very useful, sincec in i.e FLstudio, the scores made with 8.5 beta, is not compatible with the one that is using the 8.0 version. that would offcourse be a question to discuss heavily when the next version of FL is released ofc. sorry offtopic.

from this point there are different ways we did it. i.e this melody making thing, was very much my work, since he had an kind of approval from all my melodies, since me and him had an very common likeing of music and melodies.. while i was finishing melody parts, he made the basslines and such. the drum part, is very often our both's work because we both have different qualities that is excellent on our tracks together. (ofc, that is after my, and his opinion, maybe not everyone else.. but what the he**) rendering channels to wav, and sending them to each other for the other guy to work on it...

now that we have done like most of our tunes, we decide who gets to finish the track.. with final effects, and general set-up of the song. sending it back and forth to get the other persons point of view.

now we both take part in deciding when the track is finished, with input from friends and such that is giving critics to our songs, for some final tweaks and stuff (no, we do not give in for other persons suggestions, only the suggestions we allready discussed, and the ones we was "ignoring" or doing otherwise on. boring huh? no, but it is our way to give the song 100% our own influence, except the other musical influences... )

the track naming is very hard, atleast for me unless it is not allready decided from the beginning.... i like producing somehow "chill" tunes, and those are difficult to give names... usually, i discover some nice phrazes on tv, film, in conversation, and so on, and "creates" my set of sounds and stuff in my head, that could be nice to use in a tune... then reproduces it from my memory, or whats left of it when i gets to my equipment :P

i posted this just to share my way of collaborating with others.. i hope my way is'nt very non-workflow-friendly, but i have very much appreciated this way of collaborating in the past years.

and sorry my terrible english and grammar...

I have collaborated over the internet for a long time with this guy.. it is quite nice, and simple..

this is how we worked:

1.) creating samples from each and others work. i.e, i was making these chords that the tune could be in, A, F, H, or whatever... passed it to that guy for him to start making his suggestion og pads, or bassline etc, and i would do the same... then sharing over the web, to see what was good or bad in each and others samples.. frome there the work is really straight-forward, because from that point, me, and probably both of us had some kind of melody in our head, that we were starting to make different version of, until we find one that we are (for now) satisfied with... for melody sharing, using MIDI scores is very very helpful. your daw/sequencers native score fileformat is in much cases not very useful, sincec in i.e FLstudio, the scores made with 8.5 beta, is not compatible with the one that is using the 8.0 version. that would offcourse be a question to discuss heavily when the next version of FL is released ofc. sorry offtopic.

from this point there are different ways we did it. i.e this melody making thing, was very much my work, since he had an kind of approval from all my melodies, since me and him had an very common likeing of music and melodies.. while i was finishing melody parts, he made the basslines and such. the drum part, is very often our both's work because we both have different qualities that is excellent on our tracks together. (ofc, that is after my, and his opinion, maybe not everyone else.. but what the he**) rendering channels to wav, and sending them to each other for the other guy to work on it...

now that we have done like most of our tunes, we decide who gets to finish the track.. with final effects, and general set-up of the song. sending it back and forth to get the other persons point of view.

now we both take part in deciding when the track is finished, with input from friends and such that is giving critics to our songs, for some final tweaks and stuff (no, we do not give in for other persons suggestions, only the suggestions we allready discussed, and the ones we was "ignoring" or doing otherwise on. boring huh? no, but it is our way to give the song 100% our own influence, except the other musical influences... )

the track naming is very hard, atleast for me unless it is not allready decided from the beginning.... i like producing somehow "chill" tunes, and those are difficult to give names... usually, i discover some nice phrazes on tv, film, in conversation, and so on, and "creates" my set of sounds and stuff in my head, that could be nice to use in a tune... then reproduces it from my memory, or whats left of it when i gets to my equipment :P

i posted this just to share my way of collaborating with others.. i hope my way is'nt very non-workflow-friendly, but i have very much appreciated this way of collaborating in the past years.

and sorry my terrible english and grammar...

Cool! Thanks for sharing.

I collaborated with Vincent Villius for our H.U.V.A Network project.

Basically what we do is use different software, but save the output sounds in a common format and use the Ultimae servers to send across the music to each other. We use Skype to tell each other what our idea is. And usually I take control of half the tracks, Vince takes control of the other half. We communicate every half hour to share our ideas and we both agree when a track is ended - we are very sensitive to the other's ideas.

I collaborated with Vincent Villius for our H.U.V.A Network project.

Basically what we do is use different software, but save the output sounds in a common format and use the Ultimae servers to send across the music to each other. We use Skype to tell each other what our idea is. And usually I take control of half the tracks, Vince takes control of the other half. We communicate every half hour to share our ideas and we both agree when a track is ended - we are very sensitive to the other's ideas.

You are...Magnus? :huh: