2009 - good year for artist performances to make money?

psytones

The complaint about less sales has been around for years, and with the new world economics spinning around this seems to be an escalating problem.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=54680

Many of the reasons for low sales numbers is of course the more obvious reasons as there are More labels around (coming and going like the wind), more music to choose from and the fact that illegal downloading has taken a big chunk out of the music industries profit game. As I see it, as long as people that are spinning music as bedroom jockeys, professional DJ's are willing, and will be willing to buy and play on psychical products (LP, CD .. ), sales will never stop. LP's didn't die, infect, sales seem to be increasing in some messieurs! So no worries there, I would think .. To the labels, keep the releases real and it will sort it self out somehow. - The beauty about the music scene is that information should be free, if people want to listen to Ie. Infected Mushroom, Radiohead or Brittany Spears new album for free, it should be available for free listening via the web. And this IS the trend rising stronger and stronger in the whole industry. Give the people free music via pages like last.fm, resonantearth.com, ektoplazm.com, spotify.com .. . and so on and more examples to come in the near future as this is the obvious future! Free information, free music. Buy if you'd like. The whole rapid escalating of the music industry has lead us to this point where they will burst in on upon them self if they do not change their greed and start to rethink the whole ,,business". It's pretty simple, let people know your music for free, let it be available in different forms as free information, and you, the artist, the label can make the profit on the formats like CD's and mp3's being sold + the appearances made by the artists in parties, festivals and ect. - Either way, it was never meant to be a money making machine, this scene of ours, psychedelic trance music and it's intergalactic messenger from the inner cosmos do not care about economics.

So, think 2009 is going to be a strong year for performances, live acts ect? Will their pockets say chingching and their tummies be full?

Ok we could have made the previous thread to evolve, but that's no big deal.

I think promoters will know also how to make choices. After all, it's much harder to make a balanced party budget with Halllucinogen than with a Suntrip artist. See what I mean?

Else I don't think artists will agree on releasing their music for free. They want "reward" for the work. Even if they know they'll earn lots of bucks with parties. Which is very rare by the way. I only know VERY few artists that mananged to live out of playing in parties/festivals for more than 2 years in a row.