First attempt

ok so after months of fiddling around with Reason I finally made a track that I consider acceptable enough to share it with you guys. I was aiming for a techno-trancy feeling like the old The Delta/ Spirallianz/ Midi Miliz style (although it's still light years away from their production quality, but I'll get there someday ;) )

Moondancer - Technotrance1

So tell me what do you think?

It certainly isn't mainstream! :D

Very offbeat kinda feeling, so there's real "flow" that I usually like. I like strange music, but it gotta have that certain flow for me to like it. This song does not have it. ;)

Now being objective. The overall sound is kinda "boxy", trapped. Intentional? Then there isn't much of a build up or sequencing going on. Mostly just looping, adding a synth, looping again. Make stuff interesting! Surprise the listener.

I like the general idea of the song though, and the dark industrial sounds synths. Delta-ish. Me like! :)

*puts down the chain saw*

could have been cool in 1990.

Try to speed it up, around 140 BPM. Make a very short reverb on the Kickdrum so that it sounds like it bounces back. Change the percussion samples, and play with the velocity of the hihats. Then I think it could become a quite cool techno track. :)

thanks for your honesty :)

Well I'm still kindof new to music production so I have a lot of stuff to learn yet. Hope I'll do better in my upcoming tracks ;)

No point in lying, I've been there too. :)

Just keep at it. The feeling when you hear how your skills increases with each song is great. At the early stages it's usually huge leaps in progress. At least for me.

That's like the worse feedback you could get ever. :lol: (jk)

No but, it's really not bad for a first try. Try experimenting more.. I've only used reason a couple of times so I can't really give you any technical advice. But keep on, you'll get better. :)

hey, i gave some constructive advice as well! :lol:

I listened to it earlier and agree with Prio that it lacks flow. Too many odd, syncopated beats that don't lead the listener along a path or inspire one to bob one's head. I think it's a good first experiment, Lemmiwinks, and I appreciate that with your odd beats you are at least experimenting rather than merely copying. I recommend you always listen to criticism, but not too much or you lose that personal voice. And the only real way to learn, I find, is simply to keep at it. If you're really interested, you'll get better. Good luck! :)

thanks everyone for your inputs :) I guess there's still a long way to go but I was kindof expecting that... will keep on trying ;)

it will only get better and better. try to read some tutorials on effects and stuff, it really helps to know what stuff is doing. :)