Entheogenic vs. Shpongle

Guest Daniel

Now to start off, this isn't a topic about who is better, I don't even want it to go there. I want to hear opinions about both these artists, what you like about them, what comparisons they have and what differences they have....I just got Entheogenics album yesterday and I felt like discussing these two great artists

COMPARISIONS:

I can't put my finger on it, but something about both their music reminds me of one another...(if someone can help me out feel free)

DIFFERENCES:

Entheogenic is more organic sounding....like the sounds and music are comming from some rainforest and into our stereos and back out our speakers. They're sound is more melodic, soft and sensual...very peaceful and not so psychedelic.

Shpongle uses production to make the listener go "what the fuck was that". The mood of Shpongle isn't as relaxingly peaceful as Entheogenic but more psychedelic and interesting because you never know what's going to happen next.

OVERALL

I really enjoy both artsist and think they are very different from each other but share a common ground. I'm really not certain why Entheogenics album isn't red flagged, I hope it can be changed. I have come up with an analogy that expresses the styles of Shpongle and Entheogenic IMO...

Entheogenic : Mushrooms :: Shpongle : LSD

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Reconstructed

Although its kinda a dumb idea for an analogy, I would put it more like this:

Entheogenic: Mushrooms

Shpongle: Salvia

HuxFlux: LSD

Guest Mike D

Well...you do see a bi ups thankyou to Shpongle on the inside of the Entheogenic album. There are many similaraties, the major differnce being thta Entheogenic are more relaxed, whereas Shpongle is more of a trip, and Entheogenic use similar twists in a more minimal way, so it doesn't popund you constantly, just gives a nice little ticke to the cortex of ya brain when you least expect it, Entheogenic asre my no1, but Shpongle is still there for special times :-)

Guest jonathan

I wish Etheogenic would have used real vocals instead of those cheesy overdubbed samples that make my spine cringe.

Simon and Raja's faces when they first heard it? I bet they were saying: "they stole that from us, and that too, and that's ours, those bastards!"

Guest DeeperNETWERK

I've had this discussion with a few other people, and I'll say it again. Entheogenic is flat... It has no depth. Don't get me wrong, the album is a pleasure to listen to, but they use 'normal' sounds that just aren't interesting enough. Shpongle is about 50 times deeper, it's got the mood, the atmosphere, and the creativity to tear entheogenic down to peices. I've own the entheogenic disk since a few days after it was released and know it pretty well... A few listens later, it's the same old thing... You never hear anything new. I still put in 'Are You Shpongled?" in and hear something new each and every time. I personally feel that they are a cheezy rip of the style shpongle created.

Now 'Jadis'... That's a group I'd love to hear more from. (3d vision relax - module 1: track 1)

Guest jonathan

thats the truth right up there.

I also own the Etheogenic CD and I really don't listen to it anymore after I've heard it 5 or 6 times now. Shpongle on the other hand, I have heard hundreds maybe thousands of times.

Hopefully they will be a little bit more innovative in the future, although I really can't expect much from the 3d Vision label.

Guest Psychosis

^^^

OMG thank you! Ethneogenics music is beautifully soothing where Shpongles is complex and mysterious....IMO both are just as enjoyable to listen to. They're music is anything but flat....it's very beautiful.

Guest schism

hey i have a similar opinion

i really like some of Entheogenic's melodies but i can't stand to listen to them. its like access virus overload...too bad cause with some nice analogue gear their cd could be great. right now tho, i just think it sounds cheap/plastic. listen to the filters on their track on module 01- that just screams digital.

shpongle on the other hand, some freakin great sounds in there! even though lots of samples and vst/orville fx manipulation, a lot of analogue-based tones as well. really soothing :)

i like both but much prefer shpongle, even tales. maybe cause i'm a 101 phreak. entheogenic definitely rips shpongle in a not so subtle way but u can see shpongle's influence from ozric tentacles etc. simon is just more original...

Guest Hippie

i became totaly crazy about Shpongle! ...(thank you so much for suggestion Towelie) ....i even changed main page of my site inspired by their music ... www.bohemianhippie.com

they`re music Shamans!

Guest Quazzi

Here's the thing, both styles are different. Shpongle is more psychedelic with mindbending sounds, whereas Entheogenic is more like Goa chill-out with beautifull uplifting melodies. :-)

• 2 years later...

I wish Etheogenic would have used real vocals instead of those cheesy overdubbed samples that make my spine cringe.

46480[/snapback]

I've had this discussion with a few other people, and I'll say it again.  Entheogenic is flat... It has no depth.  Don't get me wrong, the album is a pleasure to listen to, but they use 'normal' sounds that just aren't interesting enough.  Shpongle is about 50 times deeper

46481[/snapback]

i really like some of Entheogenic's melodies but i can't stand to listen to them. its like access virus overload...too bad cause with some nice analogue gear their cd could be great. right now tho, i just think it sounds cheap/plastic. listen to the filters on their track on module 01- that just screams digital.

46485[/snapback]

Good topic, eh? I THOUGHT I wasn't the only one who found Entheogenic cheap and plastic. B)

I thought it was daniel from belgium who created this topic but it's old...

where do you keep finding them cinos  :rolleyes:

312529[/snapback]

Remove that annoying page-stretching signature and I'll tell you.

Remove that annoying page-stretching signature and I'll tell you.

312530[/snapback]

just because you ask me too... I won't :P

and If you ask again I'll double it B)

DIFFERENCES:

Entheogenic is more organic sounding....like the sounds and music are comming from some rainforest and into our stereos and back out our speakers.  They're sound is more melodic, soft and sensual...very peaceful and not so psychedelic.

Shpongle uses production to make the listener go "what the fuck was that".  The mood of Shpongle isn't as relaxingly peaceful as Entheogenic but more psychedelic and interesting because you never know what's going to happen next.

OVERALL

I really enjoy both artsist and think they are very different from each other but share a common ground.  I'm really not certain why Entheogenics album isn't red flagged, I hope it can be changed.  I have come up with an analogy that expresses the styles of Shpongle and Entheogenic IMO...

Entheogenic : Mushrooms :: Shpongle : LSD

46475[/snapback]

Entheogenic has more of that Organic sound from Mushrooms or Ayahuasca, Shpongle has something a bit more synthetic.

I also get the feeling Entheogenic uses more overall musicality, Shpongle more techniques and effects.

Actually I can't compare them, and I don't listen much to Shpongle anymore.

Where is the world going? How can you think SHPONGLE sounds synthethic? You are sick! Entheogenic is the plastic music here, damnit!

Shpongle is like lifeforms... the most organic stuff ever bar FSOL - Lifeforms.