How do you make really great bandpass sounds?

There's one particular type of sound I hear in goa that my own gear seems to be deficient in creating. Some songs have such amazing sounding leads with bandpass filters, and I want to know where they get these sounds. Astral Projection has some good ones -- right now I'm listening to "Soundform", and I just heard one, and I know the original "Mahadeva" has at least one amazing sounding bandpass sound. And earlier today I was listening to Asia 2001, and heard some great ones there too.

Where do they get these great sounds? I don't have much to choose from for bandpass filters -- the Emu Orbit V2 has a pretty good sounding bandpass filter, but the waveform samples aren't the greatest, and the bandpass filter cutoff doesn't go up as high as I would like (ie. above audible range). My only other choice for bandpass filters is Reason's synths, but they leave something to be desired. I can approximate one with my PEK, but it's really faking it with a resonant low pass filter combined with a non-resonant high pass filter, and just doesn't have the same sound.

I look at vintagesynth.com a lot, and I see Astral Projection's name on about half the synths there, but not a whole lot of other goa artists. The thing is, not a lot of synths have bandpass filters. At least, not classic synths. Do most people get these great bandpass sounds from VAs from Clavia, Waldorf and Access? Those seem to be pretty popular, and have bandpass filters, but I've never used any of them.

Absynth has a very nice bandpass filter.

While I would like to have Absynth, I really don't see it as a lead synth. It's kind of designed for pads and weirdness, no? Not that it can't do other sounds, but I want it for weirdness, not leads.

Why not try some effect plugins?

Wouldn't be feasible with hardware synths, at least not in the way I write.

I mean you just set the cutoff filter to bandpass no? Boost with EQ, play around with mixing another oscillator in there,

Mix 2/3rds saw (or pulse) with 1/3rds square, Add a subtle phaser or flanger placed after a ping delay and then playing the cutoff will give you some of that magic sound...if you point out exactly the sound you want (with a sample) I'd help more :)

Where do they get these great sounds?

Make em out of simpler sounds and a clever Fx train :)

You are limitting yourself if you can only sift through presets and at most tweak a cutoff knob, you will really take off once you begin to understand how to program a synth. Thats not to say you invent things from scratch, but all things considered its practically from scratch starting with a preset and making 10 new ones out of it.

Make em out of simpler sounds and a clever Fx train :)

You are limitting yourself if you can only sift through presets and at most tweak a cutoff knob, you will really take off once you begin to understand how to program a synth. Thats not to say you invent things from scratch, but all things considered its practically from scratch starting with a preset and making 10 new ones out of it.

Oh, I'm all over that. I'm a Jedi master at synth programming. In all humbleness. :lol: Really, though, I don't touch presets unless I'm really hard up for a sound.

No, I really meant to ask what synths these great sounds come from, not so much how to make them. Some of the bandpass lead sounds I hear have such a great crisp, clean, crystalline quality to them that my own choices for bandpass sounds can't reach. It's a combination of great oscillators and great filter, and I've got one or the other, but not both in one synth.

While I would like to have Absynth, I really don't see it as a lead synth. It's kind of designed for pads and weirdness, no? Not that it can't do other sounds, but I want it for weirdness, not leads.

true, it's great for that! Who needs lead synths though ^^

doesn't one of your synth which has a good bandpass filter has an audio input?

true, it's great for that! Who needs lead synths though ^^

Er...someone who wants a lead?

doesn't one of your synth which has a good bandpass filter has an audio input?

No, the Orbit has a decent bandpass filter (2 or 4 pole), but no audio input. The PEK has an audio input, but no bandpass filter.

• 2 weeks later...