two things i want to try with filters

here are two things i heard that sound pretty cool, actually sounds very cool, would like to hear the results.

you can get cool effects by using one track to modulate another one. You can just have, say, a drum track FMing or AMing a melody track.

You can get more drastic stuff by running one track through the filter and another track into the envelope follower input or envelope trigger.

is this possible to do with any of the better vst filters (filterscape, fabfilter volcano etc..) ?

or do i need to buy a sherman filterbank to try that?

im pretty much a filer noob, so

thx in advance for any help

donno about vsts, but with modulars it is easy.

i use scope's modular III with adern flexor and love it, and it can do this, and it does sound intresting indeed and you can add in lots of other things to the patch.

you can also use a ring mod with the tracks as the two inputs, similar idea.

thx postunder :)

i unearthed a vst called the modulater. this thing consists of three sections, one audio input, one lfo and a sample player.

each of the sections can be used as carrier or modulator, it offers ringmod and AM/FM.

it let me do my thing, so the results were not that amazing.

but im gonna experiment more today.

the fm 7 only lets me input one audio source, is that right?

so i´ll have to use its own oscs as modulator?

pluggo can do this, there are pluggins that take 2 audio sources and can FM, AM, convolve...

if you mean as far as FM on a filter though using one audio track to filter then another audio track as FM modulator on the filter freq, i dont know of anything VST that can do that.

to use fm modulation on a filter u need fitlers that respond to "audio rate" control singles rather than "control rate". for example reaktor can do this, as can adern's filters for scope's modular.