DJ or not?

snowball

you are only a dj if you spin with real cd's or vinyl..

laptops with mixing programs are too easy, but it's better that than just push play..

but never saw a dj doing that, only livesets

622728[/snapback]

I dont agree with you, being a dj means being inventive and looking forward (FOR ME). Look at R Hawtin, Look at Martinez, look at so many others of the good djs... Thinking that CD's and vinyls is the only way to spin, is very conservative and boring IMO... :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking that CD's and vinyls is the only way to spin, is very conservative and boring IMO... :)

622738[/snapback]

Absolutely right.

But I understand the other guy ... DJ stands for "DiscJockey", meaning a person that mixes tracks from discs (yeah, vinyl is also a disc in this case - a bigger one, but nevertheless). Strictly seen you shouldn't include laptops or other stuff - it must be discs (and no harddisks!).

In the future I think this word should adapt to the modern world ... like MJ ("MultimediaJockey") or whatever...

BTW, "Jockey" sounds damn gay :P

Absolutely right.

But I understand the other guy ... DJ stands for "DiscJockey", meaning a person that mixes tracks from discs (yeah, vinyl is also a disc in this case - a bigger one, but nevertheless). Strictly seen you shouldn't include laptops or other stuff - it must be discs (and no harddisks!).

In the future I think this word should adapt to the modern world ... like MJ ("MultimediaJockey") or whatever...

BTW, "Jockey" sounds damn gay :P

622746[/snapback]

So, because its Disk Jockey, then you have to use disks.... if that is so, then fuck me, and I am no longer a dj. From now on, I am simply a person that plays music for people at parties... (No offense RTP) I dont agree with the argument at all.

Its like saying that because GOA trance has changed so much since the 90s you cant call it GOA anymore. And because ROCK no longer sounds like it did in the 50s you cant call it ROCK.... I know there are subgenres of things and so on on so forth, but being a dj is not being something that the name stands for or what it means, its the C O N C E P T.... Playing and mixing music for other people that want to dance or to just simply listen and enjoy the journey.

Like Is said in the previous post, Conservatism will not help this scene to move forward (and I dont mean the Psy scene ;)) New thinking people help this scene.. and no other than those people are helping it. Well, and those who invest in those visionaries....

Enough about my rant, I am not going to try and convince anyone... I am just going to end up insulting someone, since I am on a nicotine withdrawal thingie...

ANd like I said, please dont take it personal RTP, I have heard your opinion by so many people, and you were just the one that happens to get the response on this forum ;):D:(

EDIT, and yeah I still only use Vinyls and CDS at parties, but I will change that in a near future..... so I didnt CHANGE OVER just yet ;)