New-style reviewing for old releases?

Basilisk

Remember when we all used to write "GREAT album! Love tracks 3,6,7,8, get this now"? Look at some of us reviewers these days, writing thousand word essays (or more). As an interesting exercise I propose that all the big reviewers - DP, pr0fane, and all others - try to tackle an old school classic (pre-2000), and see what you can come up with by writing in the modern style. I know compilations are much easier, so I suggest you take on an album release! Give an old classic the thorough treatment!

I'm trying this too, as I realized I don't have even one album from before the millenium reviewed on my site... :ph34r:

Why not make your own Goddamn reviews and stop bitchin all the time...??? It's not the first time you complain about reviews on this site... :P

PS actually I find all those "in-depth" reviews aren't really usefull, that's why I'm making much shorter reviews myself latley :)

funny because you always say that you make a lot of reviews yet I very rarely see actual reviews by you when I read the reviews section... maybe some links to actual reviews by you might help me shut up?

Look man, I don't have anything against you, it's just that every once in a while you post a topic arguing about how the reviews should be and it kindof pisses me off cause I don't see YOU contributing that much to reviewing anyway (apart from the mentioned topics where you bitch about them...)

Remember when we all used to write "GREAT album! Love tracks 3,6,7,8, get this now"? Look at some of us reviewers these days, writing thousand word essays (or more). As an interesting exercise I propose that all the big reviewers - DP, pr0fane, and all others - try to tackle an old school classic (pre-2000), and see what you can come up with by writing in the modern style. I know compilations are much easier, so I suggest you take on an album release! Give an old classic the thorough treatment!

I'm trying this too, as I realized I don't have even one album from before the millenium reviewed on my site...  :ph34r:

514088[/snapback]

Yeah, I've often thought about that myself... I've even started a couple of reviews, but never got around to finishing them... Somehow I always have a pile of new stuff that needs to be reviewed, and obviously that keeps pushing back the 'oldies'... But I still intent to do it occasionally... Promise! ;)

funny because you always say that you make a lot of reviews yet I very rarely see actual reviews by you when I read the reviews section... maybe some links to actual reviews by you might help me shut up?

Look man,  I don't have anything against you, it's just that every once in a while you post a topic arguing about how the reviews should be and it kindof pisses me off cause I don't see YOU contributing that much to reviewing anyway (apart from the mentioned topics where you bitch about them...)

514119[/snapback]

Dude, what are you talking about? Basilisk is one of the most active reviewers we have - search his history and you'll find tons of indepht, well-written reviews from his hand...

There's nothing wrong with a little constructive critisism and ideas for improvement - especially not since it's coming from Scott, one of the old-timer reviewers I respect the most...

/DP

well I know that he made a lot of reviews BEFORE but haven't seen much latley anyway, don't mean any disrespect or anything :)

514197[/snapback]

Well, Basilisk prides himself in writing about stuff that he has had time to fully listen to... Something that I myself have problems with from time to time - and something that the mp3-reviewers (*cough*) also could learn from... <_<;)

It would be very interesting, but I don't see it happening any time soon. I'm busy at work, I'm busy at home, and I'm busy with new reviews as well. I still have a bunch of promos lying around that I haven't had the chance to thoroughly review after Soulclipse.

If I should make an oldschool review it would probably be Pleiadians - Family Of Light or VA - Halluci-Nations. Some day ...

Look man,  I don't have anything against you, it's just that every once in a while you post a topic arguing about how the reviews should be and it kindof pisses me off cause I don't see YOU contributing that much to reviewing anyway (apart from the mentioned topics where you bitch about them...)

514119[/snapback]

I see nothing wrong with reviewing reviews... I am envious that I cannot write reviews to the depth that basilisk can! my thoughts on music are too abstract to translate into words really... and I WOULD like to read reviews of older stuff too... its hard to keep up and buy everything...

• 2 weeks later...