eXquisite CORpsE - Inner Light

Guest Astro Cortex

Guest Astro Cortex

eXquisite CORpsE - Inner Light (1993 Kk Records)

Posted ImagePosted Image

1. 08:54 Point Zero

2. 07:08 Shadow Play

3. 10:10 Cantadora

4. 06:00 Passage

5. 08:39 Calling the Quarters

6. 08:07 Inner Rhythm

7. 06:08 Between Worlds

8. 09:20 Tepu

9. 08:12 One

10. 06:25 Between Worlds [Remix]

Let me present to you the “definition of tribal psychedelic trance”, as I like to call it. Exquisite Corpse are – or rather were – Robbert Heynen and his wife Debbie Jones. Robbert was also member of the Dutch group Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia, so if you’re familiar with these, you may get an idea of what to expect. Though some of this may pass off as early Goa trance, you won’t find any full throttle dancefloor stormers here. It is predominantly hypnotic shamanic trance or techno, with the main emphasis on rhythm and percussion. Of course it has melodies too, but the tracks seem a little more sparse and repetitive compared to the goa/psytrance that emerged a few years later.

Now, a quick glance at the tracks:

We begin our journey at Point Zero, with a damn well-executed atmospheric intro. What sets the tone in this outstanding track is a sort of melodic bassline that simply puts a big smile on your face. We get a very nice contrast between the uplifting vibe and the deep mysterious ambience. A very psychedelic tune, and it tastes really sweet :D

And now be prepared for THE tribal groove bomb par excellence! Shadow Play has one of the coolest basslines ever composed and we’re served different kinds of echoing percussion that gives the track a lot of depth. The track doesn’t contain any real melody, but instead a kind of clanking sound pattern that's really got style. Stunning tune, perhaps my favourite pure tribal track ever :) .

After this we get something different, rhythmically: Cantadora appears to be some sort of tribal drum'n'bass. Whatever you may call it, it’s definitely unique in its style. With its fast and furious drumming, it must be the soundtrack of a dynamic and ecstatic ritual. Very interesting track, which blends seamlessly into…

…a rather short little oddity called Passage. This one first seems to build up to another drum'n'bass or faster dance rhythm, but what follows is not what you expect when you listen to the track for the first time: a descent to the deepest corners of the underworld, where we witness some eerie incantation ceremony. It’s quite difficult for me to describe that sound, I guess you just have to listen for yourself :rolleyes: .

Calling the Quarters takes us back to familiar grounds, being a solid piece of mellow tribal goa trance. The “quarters” in the title is referring to 4 directions I suppose. Again we have a nice room-filling bass melody, similar to the first track, but it’s not quite as much of a stomper. The spoken sample ("Beauty before me, beauty behind me,....") is repeated a bit too much IMO but on the whole it's a very good track.

On Inner Rhythm we get more of the same: minimal acidic tribal trance. This one doesn't quite manage to sustain my attention throughout, but it's still far from boring. It features a cut-up female vocal sample that works quite well IMO.

Between Worlds is more engaging again, and quite a groover it is! Classic. I really love its smooth and spacious main melody and, of course, the excellent treatment of percussion. If the Pharaos had had access to modern technology, this is surely the music they would have made. (That last sentence is a quote I found, but I think it hits the nail on the head ;) )

Tepu is actually a non-4/4 version of Inner Rhythm, but mind you, the drums are still in full activity. In fact, the absence of the dance beat and the intensification of the tribal drumming give the track a whole new dramatic edge. There's also an improved 12-minute version of this on the Inner Rhythm single (entitled "Inner Rhythm (lower world mix)"), so look out for that single too if you liked this version.

Next there is One, a piece of pure ambient. It’s nothing jaw-dropping, just the nice meditative chill to round off the album. "In beauty it is finished".

The US version of this release features a bonus track: an exclusive remix of Between Worlds. I think it doesn't add really much to the original, but still it's at least nearly as good.

Favourites: 1(!!), 2(!!), 3, 7(!)

Now here’s a CD I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone into oldschool psy. I’d say those who dig the tribal aspects of Juno Reactor and can also appreciate some more minimal and hypnotic stuff should definitely give it a listen. Actually I could well imagine it being enjoyed by prog fans too, in particular the tribal side of prog. Personally, I like the kind of raw and natural sound of this album, and the sense of mystery and obscurity it evokes.

Inner Light is a well obtainable CD, you should find either version in many general online music stores.

• 2 years later...

PWOG rocks idd :)

not everything of Exquisite Corpse is my taste though

for example: http://www.discogs.com/release/33259

but ok, nothing but details hehe ;)

Taste is taste. I have had the pleasure to see them both live on several occasions as well :) :) OWNAGE!

• 7 months later...