Title: Phototropic

Label: Distance

Date: 1996

Track listing:

01. 07'36" Phototropic

02. 07'06" Byron Bay

03. 08'23" Sonica Dream

04. 06'42" Vision Quest

05. 07'25" Land Of Freedom (Tribute to Man With No Name)

06. 07'14" Voyager

07. 07'20" Absolum

08. 08'04" Malaka Dance

09. 08'36" Snow Drop

10. 08'35" Ulysse Voyage 3

Review:

Quite Good Album ! My Favorite Tracks are Track 7 and 8 (Malaka Dance is REALLY

good, but I think it could have been better) ...

The problem with Transwave is that their sounds are too similar for me ... but

I must admit this album is interesting :-)

Rating : 6/10

Guest Stathis_gti

This is the second album of the very good and well known Transwave (Christoph

and Dado).Quite good but i cant compare it with the first one (Helium)which

was one of the best ever released in my opinion.Transwave style, not very fast

but very psychedelic.Phototropic is the best track.I didnt particularly liked

Malaka Dance (although it is dedicated to Greek people and malaka is a Greek

word that we are not proud of).Unfortunately there will be no more Transwave

in the future.

One of the first goa album I bought, I thought at first it was excellent, but

now I find it a little boring : Tracks are a little too similar for me. But

it's a good album. My favorite is Byron Bay. Also I would like to correct

something above : This is the third album of Transwave, after Hypnorythm EP,

and Helium. Hypnorythm, although it is called EP, is 60 minutes long, so I

call it an album. Best album of transwave, in my opinion, but unfortunately,

no more available anywhere. I think that the french label Step 2 House is no

more, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows where to buy it...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tequila

During one whole year, I foud this album completely excellent...Strong kicks,

large melodies...etc But one year later, I do not feel any more the elements

that was making me have a trip while listening to this CD.Finally, this CD is

good but might become a little boring.Anyway, all the tracks are great,

especially Land of Freedom and Absolum.

Guest Tchankov I.V.

Vision Quest and Land of Freedom tranced my mind!!!!!!

But I like Land of Freedom remix version !

It's more psychedelic and powerful to me :D

Trancewave you are the best!!!

• 3 months later...
Guest ove[at]ovegrov[dot]com

Pretty good album, a BIG minus is that the songs sound pretty much the same

except Vision Quest and Land of Freedom, I have to go with Changa and say the

Remixed version of Land Of Freedom is much better than the original. It's

worth buying tough -- 7/10. If somebody wants to know where to buy the album

you can do it here at Mega Recordacademy in SWEDEN! ;)

• 7 months later...

In not sure I can easily justify why I think so, but in my opinion this is a

fraction better than Helium. The tunes of Helium are certainly more powerful

and stand out better on their own, but if I listen to the whole of

Phototropic, I find myself torn about by the ever building level of

psychedelic energy. I bought this as soon as it came out, and I still love to

listen to it - but only when I can play it from start to finish !

9/10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Acidhive

Indeed, a classic album from Transwave here, and among the first goa albums I

ever bought! This album works very well as a whole (all tracks are mixed

together). You really should listen to it that way. Land Of Freedom is in my

opinion one of the best classic goa tracks!

The title track is cool too. Anybody notice that Christof named himself after a

track on this album? Absolum .. haha !! 8,5/10 from me here...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Tracks 1 and 2 and more softfull but very nice. The rest sounds classic goa

except last track , a anmbient one.

weaks but not bad tracks are 6-7-9. bad one is 10.

all the rest is good.

rating: 6,5/10

• 2 months later...
Guest goadiction[at]aol[dot]com

great!!! this album just made grow my devotion for goa trance, i can listen to

it from start to end...

• 1 month later...
Guest diablo_mxmn[at]hotmail[dot]com

i bought this cd after hearing vision quest & my fav transwave track tarshish,

and got a bit dissapointed...

phototropic: too slow for me but still not bad - 6.1/10

byron bay: dont like this one too much - 2.1/10

sonica dream: 4.3/10

vision quest: great melody and great structure - 9.5/10

land of freedom: exellent work - 9.7/10

voyager: too soft - 3.4/10

absolum: 4.5/10

malaka dance: great bassline and an exellent.... i dont what to call it - that

thing in the 5.25 minutes mark - 10/10

snow drop: 5.2/10

ulysee voyage number 3: great chill out track - 8.9/10

the whole cd: great mastering, a few exellent tracks and a few mediocre ones -

7.6/10

psychedelic teacher/psy-t

• 4 months later...

Very good album but nothing breathtaking....It has good structure and some very

good songs but it is rather same during listens...best on album : SONICA

DREAM, VISION QUEST ( ! ), VOYAGER, ABSOLUM, MALAKA DANCE...7.5/10

• 5 months later...
Guest Davidtolsn

good cd, although some of the tracks are boring/bad. land of freedom is a

classic, and i love malaka dance. sonica dream, vision quest, absolum, and

snow drop are also good. i really think phototropic is a weak intro song...

slow ambient type stuff, should be at the end. anyway, if you're new to

transwave, check out helium first, but this is also a nice album. 7.5/10

• 3 years later...

Very, very good album by Transwave! I think it exceeds "Helium" in terms of complexity, emotion and overall quality, as well as in the arrangement of the tracks, which beautifully complement each other. The tracks "Vision Quest" and "Land of Freedom" are composed by Dado alone, and these tracks are very powerful goa anthems, as opposed to the tracks Christof made alone (Tracks 3,6 & 9 i think) which are darker, trippier trance excursions. However, the best track is really "Absolum" which they made together. It starts out pretty ordinary, but in the middle a beautiful melody enters, with the same unbelievably melancholic, sentimental and just totally beautiful kind of sound as "My Dear Medical Assurance" from "Helium". It gains more power, it seems to cry out of sheer desperation, it wants to soar up to the sky, leave this world and take you with it. It almost makes me cry too. Then this fragile, very human melody just disappears and is replaced with an extremely fierce and powerful goa sound, which just pushes down all the melancholy to the ground and makes your brain turn inside out. Little hints of the, now gone, soft melody are allowed to bubble up to the surface, but are then quickly pressed down again. And that's how it ends. This track is the greatest moment of Transwave.

Their best album in my opinion. It gets 9/10 because some tracks could get a bit more clear and pronounced. Favorites: 1,4,5,7,8

• 6 months later...

Prototropic is my favorite album by Transwave to date. I may be biased because this was my first album by Transwave and I had it for some time before finding a copy of Helium. The first Goa song I heard by Transwave was Land of Freedom on a comp too. Initially upon hearing this album I was unimpressed by the first several songs because I thought their whole style was going to be full of (what I considered) super songs like Land of Freedom. I really thought that Land of Freedom was the superb track and the rest here were more or less fillers. I was wrong. LOF is fantastic and not close to the only super song here, though arguably speaking, the best track for the dance-floor on Phototropic. Arguably. The album as a whole is very special.

• 1 year later...

TRANSWAVE - PHOTOTROPIC
DISTANCE RECORDS

phototro.jpg

Track list:

01. 07'36" Phototropic
02. 07'06" Byron Bay
03. 08'23" Sonica Dream
04. 06'42" Vision Quest
05. 07'25" Land Of Freedom (Tribute to Man With No Name)
06. 07'14" Voyager
07. 07'20" Absolum
08. 08'04" Malaka Dance
09. 08'36" Snow Drop
10. 08'35" Ulysse Voyage 3

There was a time when artists expressed their spirit and inviduality while respecting others as a mosaic, not a melting pot so to speak. Years later it seemed that if an artist didn't jump into producing more mainstream sounding Full On, they wouldn't be successful. The Full On movement and ideology brought on by record labels to promote less risky sounding Trance combined with a growing scene made it difficult for many artists to continue making Goatrance. There is simply not as much money in the innovative unless the innovative sky rockets where it is often compromised with greedy influences. Many Goa artists converted to mainstream Full On or Psy (Simon Postford via Shpongle). Others who once made stopped producing entirely. Transwave was one of the first major groups to split up and release projects under different names, though Dado's Deedrah was around back in Transwave's old school days. Christof had Absolum for instance. And Phototropic is one of the best, last album (to date) by both of them.

01. Phototropic is arguably the best opening song by Transwave. The track gives us a warm glimpse into their Goa style--- chock full catchy transitions, excellent sound/melody, and more. This is a beautiful, elegant Goa track!  A-

02. Byron Bay sounds a little to me like Transwave's version of N.D.M.A.'s Goa track "VITAN!" This song is darker, more aggressive than most Transwave songs. It's well done, but the underlying main melody is similar sounding, albeit altered. Solid track, through I found the previous one catchier (more satisfying) overall.  B+

03. Sonica Dream has many streaming, catchy layers and melodies. It's unpredictable and couples infectious sound combinations. Whereas the last track was more aggressive in a darker way, this is more enchanting and moving in an upbeat way. Great track!  A-

04. Vision Quest appears as darkness and light combined in this terrific piece. It's loaded with intricate, tastey flavors, melodies and various sounds. The track also seems to involve more mixing melody work than previous numbers, and a big chorus-like tune. The lead melody is powerful; multiple infectious sounds keep up with the winning horse. Also involved are multiple islands of beauty disconnected from the beat. This fantasy element becomes more relative as the song progresses. Musically this is one of the best by Transwave. A

05. Land Of Freedom (Tribute to Man With No Name) has such a tasty, several-second opening. Wow that's fantastic! This inventive song is loaded with energy. It also includes a lead melody which is a great example of "infectious" or "super catchy" in my opinion. The supporting sounds and melodies evolve and take the lead at times, always remaining focused and falling back at the appropriate time to support the returning lead. This is a classic in Goatrance! I wish they made more tracks like this today! It's possible. Anything is possible. A

06. Voyager continues the trip in a less heavy, danceable approach. It's nice to travel through more explorative territory after the last wise open adventures. This is a very psychedelic, evolving and slower in b.p.m. than the last several songs number. It's very creative and sounds different from virtually anything I've ever heard. Simply put, it's Transwave creating a great song that isn't a super dance song. A-

07. Absolum is the introduction to the group Christoph of Transwave would later call his artist name. It's dark, atmospheric, driving, and develops like a mysterious storm. This doesn't have big melody leads; it's more psychedelic and driving, and one of the best songs on the album! Not only that, it's better in my opinion, than every Absolum song I've heard to date! The melodies are traveling and compliment the darkness, creating depth and invition to explore the world created, not just dance to it. The track continuously evolves, becoming more catchy, intense, and strong! Imaginative, catchy work! A-

08. Malaka Dance is the next super dance number on the album after Land Of Freedom. The intro, buildup, atmosphere, and an infectious, thick band melody lead is wonderful. This track doesn't remind me of Greek people, or not a nice one (Malaka means "Wanker"), but rather storming across a gorgeous, darkly lit planet, or something more than people dancing alone. The skipping supporting sounds are catchy too. This is the most rock influenced song since Trashish (at times) due to brief guitar use, well done. The direction is often unexpected and the sights are more appealing as the ride progresses. This track is excellent from beginning to... well it ends with one of the catchiest leading melody/dance parts in Goatrance. Enjoy. A

09. Snow Drop explores the less energetic, storming terrain as Voyager, track 6 last did. This is an intriguing, dark piece. The journey is often mysterious and gradual when compared to other more dymanic tracks. For a more self-contained (without distractions) Goa piece, this is very unique and artistic. However I wonder where it's going for the first several minutes as nothing seems to arrest my attention as previous numbers have. The interlude moment from 6:30 to around 7:10 is interesting before the beat returns heavier and harder than before. At this point the song becomes strikingly more engaging and fun. B+

10. Ulysse Voyage 3 is a very cool, warm and peaceful chilled, Downtempo Goa-esque closing. It's like Goatrance in slow, elegant motion. This final number compilments the album and really stamps the envelope with closure and impact. Protropic IS a voyage. Really, could you expect anything less? A-

In conclusion, this is such an interesting album! Phototropic is darker and more aggressive than Helium and that is one of the reasons I like it more. The album builds and develops from the minute it breaks out of the gate too in an unexpected way. Transwave carefully compiled the songs so that, while not all the best ones are in the middle, the album doesn't rush to impress. I actually appreciate this album more because of this unexpected approach with exception to track 5. There are several great, superb songs and even the songs that are less impressive or great have that cool Transwave style and sound. Not everything can be perfect and yet in retrospect, there was something magical about these albums. All three Transwave albums have been great and this is no exception. I love the cover art too, on both Helium and Phototropic. They're enchanting, mystical, and magical.. full of allure and intrigue just like their music! Impressive is that they released two albums in one year! The production sounds better in this album than Helium in my opinion. The album sounds slightly more refurbished and crisp; it seems to have just a tad more "Oomph" and "Punch" to it than Helium too, a little techincal observation on the beat emphasis. My advice to Psy/Goa people is that you take out this album and put it back in your car stereo or listen to it via good headphones at a fairly medium/high volume. It's one of those albums that sounds different from the various times you've heard it.

Merry Christmas everyone and Transwave! These two (Helium + Phototropic) reviews are my 2007 Christmas reviews. I never write reviews on Christmas!

Favorite Tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8

A-

• 2 years later...