07. Zuversucht

08. Gluonball

Review:

Many of us is familiar with Magnetrixx. Has a progressive sound. Hmm...What to

say. I don't get the feeling that I wan't to get mad and wild to this kind of

music. Something lacks, and it's prolly a groovy bassline. But with sounds

that just "blipps and blopps" that would sound weird maybe. Anyway, he makes a

good atmosphere in his tracks. He uus bongos and stuff well. But this CD is

too slow to do it for me. But hey, thats his style. Number 2 6 is cool tho.

Anyone that are on the progressive style like Son Kite and Co should buy this.

Final Verdict: 6/10

A pretty good album from Magnetrixx here, but not as good as expected. The

first track is a pretty good opener, and 2nd track "Tohuwabohu" is by far my

favorite on this album. It was one of my biggest favorites last summer, and

probably one of the best tracks "tribal" tracks I've ever heard. Next

highlight is #5, "Zigzagg", which was released on the same EP as "Tohuwabohu".

Not as good, but very groovy. The rest of the tracks are pretty good, but not

as good as I expected. Verdict: 7/10.

• 4 years later...

Well, all I can say is that this is actually a really good album!

Phase Shift was the first psytrance release I got more or less aware of while browsing through Psyshop and the likes. I, however, was afraid of online ordering back then and thus I never got it ... but fortunately both of that has finally changed!

I now only own this one, but since I know some tracks off the other albums I can say that it sounds different to Trittschall and very different from Wired, although it can be classified to be more related to the first album...

What you get throughout the whole piece is a progressive sound, but a quite original and distinctive one. No other artist I know has got this kind of sound and effects. That's a good thing. Also the sound is very crisp, it has edge, it's actually even sexy ... I really like that.

The opener is nice, gets you into the vibe pretty well. But the second track is more interesting; Tohuwabohu is really good, I remember this being on Goa Head 18 and I already loved it as I bought that one, hehe. You have to let it grow though, I needed my time. The third and fourth track are not that special ... third is still better than the fourth though, quite okay actually, higher bpm and more groovy, the fourth is more boring ... but if you are past those two you can be sure it doesn't get worse. Fifth one, Ziggzagg, is very good ... nice groove and more upbeat progression! Then the title track ... at first I didn't like it that much of a lot, but it grows, this reveals to be actually really good stuff! Sums up the overall vibe of the piece pretty well. And then, be ready for Zuversucht! For me this is clearly the best one on the album! Upbeat, nice and original effects, getting even better in the later parts, a perfect piece. And then Gluonball! This one also is absolutely perfect! I own this track since some years already and have been running to it quite often meanwhile and I must say this distinctive uplifting synth pad, it comes totally awesome each time it's used. Wonderful! And the track is perfectly finished off aswell.

Overall impression is very good, but it's no true masterpiece aswell, no wet pants. One must be a sucker for this special kind of sound to really appreciate this piece for what it is, though. If you are, then a whimsical grin on your face will be certain for sure :)

And the whole piece grows on you. Another sign for a nice and timeless investment.

So ... well, the best outstanding tracks for me are clearly to be found in the later part. 7 and 8 are really awesome! 5 and 6 are really good aswell! In the first part only track 2 is somewhat outstanding. The rest is not that bad either though. Only number 4 is not my cup of tea...

Now I only need to get the other two albums :P

• 4 weeks later...