Posted Image

Label: Twisted Records

Catalog#: TWSCD11

Format: CD

Released: 20 Nov 2000

Genre: Electronic

Style: (Goa)Trance/Downtempo/Dub

Credits: Mastered By - Chris Ludwinski

Notes: All music written and produced by Nick Barber @ Doof studio, London.

Mastered by Chris Ludwinski at Abbey Road studios.

Cover by Mark Neal & Nick Barber @ Dusk Digital.

Tracklisting:

1 Try (8:32)

2 Dawn Of A New Error (7:46)

3 Last Half Of Forever (8:41)

4 Home On The Strange (6:06)

5 Sk.2k (8:06)

6 Dark Secrets Of The Manky Fudgepocket (9:29)

7 Nights In The Shining Alma (10:14)

8 (There's Nothing So Dated As) Yesterdays Future (12:06)

Doof's 2nd cd is definitely different from his debut one, Let's Turn On, which is considered as a classic by many goaheads. It's no point comparing it to the previous one, since it's totally different.

1 Try (8:32)

Nice ambientish intro, giving its place to a downtempo 4/4 track, happy-in-the-clouds daydreaming style.

2 Dawn Of A New Error (7:46)

Morning track with crystal clear sounds and fx, kick gets in with a relatively energetic feeling, closer to Goa Trance, compared to the previous track.. Maybe the ideal track to play at a party when dawn has just started to settle in.

3 Last Half Of Forever (8:41)

Clean track, a groovy bassline and rhythm.. Sort of repetitive yet complex, I think this track focuses merely on the groove...

4 Home On The Strange (6:06)

Intro and title suggest that this is a stranger, more mysterious track.. but after a while it becomes almost completely normal, not deranged at all. I particularly liked the fx and midbass variation in this one. So far this is the most psychedelic track of the album, IMO.

5 Sk.2k (8:06)

Sk.2k and the rest of the album are even more downtempo and chilly, this style of chill/dub/downtempo reminded me a bit of Waterjuice - Melbaphonics album..

6 Dark Secrets Of The Manky Fudgepocket (9:29)

Melancholic and emotional.. Evolves into a more atmospheric psychill direction with dynamic effects just to dissapear into the peacefulness side again, accompanied by some nice crispy drums.

7 Nights In The Shining Alma (10:14)

First 5 minutes consist of abundant beatless tranquility... One of my favourites, many layers, mystery floating in the background, playful sounds and fx.

8 (There's Nothing So Dated As) Yesterdays Future (12:06)

A quiet and calm outro track, as expected.

=-=Conclusion=-=

Smooth album, crystal clear high-quality production. Definitely give it a listen and decide. Undoubtedly suitable for homelistening, although first 4 dance tracks could also easily be played during the end of a party or something.

Rating: 9/10

I also bought it without thinking and was really shocked to hear what was on there... nonetheless, the chilly side of things has remained on my sleepytime playlists at home for all these years, and it's actually one of the releases I get the most use out of, surprisingly... it just goes down so smoothly - right up there with Galaxy and Bluetech for pure chilling. The earlier dance tracks might be okay - I don't hear them nearly as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice album, a kind of "easy listening goa", not really psychedelic as such.

Beautiful and immaculate sounds and production, an album made to soothe your brain, not to wind you up our freak you out.

I like that the title has a dual meaning : was it about time (for a new doof album)? or is it about time (as in that some of the tracks on the album have a time-related theme)?

• 2 months later...

This album has the distinction of being the last Psy-related CD I purchased in 2000. I didn't really get much chance to listen to it, and was slightly disappointed.

I actually stopped listening to Psy for 5 years right after I bought this, not that I blame this album, I was just burnt out in general. :D

After 5 years of listening to more mainstream stuff like Breaks and such, I have returned to the Psy genre. I am back in love again!

I was looking through my old CDs and forgot I even had this Doof release. I popped it in the player and lay back and took a long, hard listen. Today I ADORE this album!

I am so sad I ever left, I wish I had saved all the money I spent on other CDs during those 5 years and bought Psy instead. :(

• 6 months later...

DOOF - IT'S ABOUT TIME

FULL REVIEW

01. 08'32" Try ... B-

02. 07'46" Dawn Of A New Error ... C+

03. 08'41" Last Half Of Forever ... C-

04. 06'06" Home Of The Strange ... B

05. 08'06" Sk 2k ... C

06. 09'29" Dark Secrets Of The Manky Fudgepocket ... B

07. 10'14" Nights In Shining Alma ... C+

08. 12'06" (There Is Nothing So Dated As) Yesterdays Future ... C

I took this out of my collection today, put it on (with excellent headphones btw) and was like wtf??!

JESUS CHRIST(!!!) IN A SHINEY PINK PANTYTHIS ALBUM'S AN AQUIRED TASTE!!!

The first song starts out interesting, yes... but it doesn't really go anywhere captivating. At around 5:59 the sounds fade and a harder beat kicks in...some melodies around 6:30 are nice. Soon after the song ends at 8:33.

Again, track 2 starts out interesting... with a nice skipping melody. The beat is harder and I really think this thing is going to take off...this isn't really a downtempo song, is it? Anyway, something is lacking here. He could have done so much with it, added some great melodies... At 3:05 the beat seems louder or more accentuated, but the song doesn't ever open up with lush sounds to compliment the beat. I suppose it's nice in its own way, but it's pretty flat, repetitive, and predictable throughout.

Track 3 is boring IMHO. BORING. Nothing different happens throughout pretty much the entire song. It's very flat and repetitive.

Track 4, Home On The Strange has better pick up and pace. It's more danceable, engaging, and fun to listen to than virtually all the others IMHO.

Track 5 sounds like dub/chill to me. I suppose if you're into that thing you may enjoy this but I find it extremely repetitive and just not interesting. Is that a bassline that repeats thoughout the entire song. 1, 2, 3, ..da, da, da... it goes. It starts getting slightly more interesting around 5:35 but not much follows once the cool echoed "clink" sounds take place. Oh, a skipping melody.. few melodic bits on top of those for such a short time. This could have been much better.

Although very slow, track 6, Dark Secrets Of The Manky Fudgepocket is one of the few songs that really stands out. It's a pretty good downtempo song even if it doesn't impress me. I think the peaceful opening ambience/feel is great. How I wish there were more parts on this album with "feeling" like this chill tune here. I really like the ambience and piano in track 6, along with a sustained melody on and off throughout. For what it is, it's pretty good.

Track 7 starts out ghostly, eerie ambience, slow. So slow. Damn this is so slow I could take a nap and it would still be playing when I wake up. It's okay...some may consider this more dreamy/sad and I have songs on Silent Hill soundtraks more dreamy and sad than this. This is what ambience is. If you were never certain of ambient sound...this IS AMBIENT, but it's more "sounds" than an enjoyable song to me. The song actually develops a beat and few sounds around 4:40. It's definitely a unique song. You either love or hate it. I think it's okay. It's like...you have to be in a certain mood to enjoy some of these songs I feel. I like the short melody around 6:53 that comes and goes. It's fairly catchy and I wish he added other melodies like this to compliment it.

Track 8 drags for too long. It's too slow and drawn out. This isn't good ambient IMHO. It's just not that interesting. Something's missing. It's okay I suppose. I don't care for it.

I don't understand why other songs are no where near these two tracks. Other tracks lack character, feeling, energy... something to spice them up and make them interesting!

Just LISTEN to LET'S TURN ON compared to this! It's filled with LIGHT!!!

I know they're totally different albums and styles but the first one was full of character and life. It was cute, fun, uplifting, creative, and truly great!! Why not stick to that style?? People LOVED IT!!!

The slower style in IT'S ABOUT TIME is quite the opposite. With exception to few songs, it's boring and not nearly as enjoyable overall. DOOF did much better creating goatrance than downtempo.

Just put this album on again and maybe you'll see what I mean. It isn't the worst thing out there, but it's generally DULL sounding. This is so uneventful and not engaging, intriguing, or exciting compared to what he pulled off with his first debut. You'd think DOOF doing downtempo/trance would be amazing or at least great, but it's not impressive IMO.

In conclusion, I suppose I bought this because I loved Doof's first album and my impression of DOOF was so high that it carried over into the follow-up before I heard it in its entirety. Why so many people accepted this with high scores on release is beyond me. I often value my albums more over the years, gaining more insight and appreciation. I feel mixed with this album. When I listen to track 4 I really like the album but when I hear things like tracks 3, 7 (amongst others) I lose interest fast. Depending on how you look at it, you may really enjoy this album or be bored to death. No doubt tracks are better, much better than others.

OVERALL SCORE ... C+ or a 7.8 out of 10.

I gave DOOF'S first album, LET'S TURN ON" a 9 out of 10 back in 2001. That would be an A-

• 8 months later...

This album is the last twisted records album I bought, and its quickly becoming one of my favourites. The thing i love about this album is that is it's not in your face to the extent that the only way you can listen to it is with a big sound system on a dance floor. This album is one of those ones that can be played just about anywhere, to suit all moods. I find it quite a good one to work to in fact. Having said that though, the tempo and beats of the first 4 tracks are just upbeat enough so that if you crank up the volume you'll get anyone dancing. I personally prefer the first, upbeat over part of the album over the last part, especially tracks 2 and 3, where the groove and the melodies are just perfect.

A 9/10 for me :)