Define Psychedelic...

Guest djnemo

well, you can say no to drugs of course, but the term itself, as applied to music, came up in the 60s with relation to certain rock bands who played music that was drug-friendly and induced hallucinations, etc. you can argue that it evolved past that point, but those are the origins. ;)

• 9 months later...

For me that is something that is at least highly melodic and rhythmic at some point... and hypnotic and spacy.... and 'full', 'warm' and 'organic' sounding...

Some stuff I would even describe as "organized chaos"..... it has to have a certain special touch that makes me say it's psychedelic.

My definition of psychedelic :

Twisting the mind, expanding the soul, enlightening your senses, the music that stretches your perceptions of reality, forever bound to the beat, surrounded with chaos of sounds, noises and melodies. Psychedelic harmonies that define your perceptional cause. You move forward. You see things other people wouldn't believe. You trip. You perceive. You are swallowed by the black hole od derangeness. You are spat out on the coast of 303. You are borned again. Ressurected. You are finally fine. :rolleyes:B);)

who said psychedelic was an invention by leary? blasphemy! it was actually invented by dr. humphry osmond in correspondence with aldous huxley. and to be even more exact, if it had to be translated into english, the correct putting-together-of-words (what's the term i'm looking for, here?) would've been psychodelic! :)

if hip hop had this effect on people's perception of music, then i guess we'd be tripping on psychedelic hip-hop :D

397802[/snapback]

listen to kool keith's albums as dr. octagon!! pretty psychedelic, if you ask me! (but youre right, that's the exception that confirms the rule... or something like that')

Hmm psychedelic music for me is really just music that bends my mind...by it self... :unsure: as simple as that... :ph34r:

and psychelic is just when my mind bends...hmm...maybe I should'nt light this funny looking (good smelling) cigaret sitting on my hand... ahh heck Im gonna do it anyways!

when I listen to psychedelic music, I don't think about it as music...

there are magical layers that make it seem so much more...

actually it is (damn those 5 years of old greek at school did help!!!):

psyche = soul

delein = to be, to search

so it would be: 'to be or search in ones soul'

if you want to translate it directly  :D

606626[/snapback]

that sounds about right! :D

psyche = soul

606626[/snapback]

acutally, the original was supposed to mean 'mind manifesting', but I guess that's all a matter of semantics. Although imo manifesting seems a bit more accurate than searching..

psyche = soul

606626[/snapback]

delein = to make apparent,to reveal..

so psychedelic = that which reveals the soul ;) (& can manifest it too )