How to start a record label

• 2 weeks later...

1. Good artists

2. Big money

3. Time

i think that will do it for you :)

374426[/snapback]

how much money is big money?

i imagine that releasing one CD professionally would probably cost less than a new Nord Lead 3. its alot but i think its not too insane. I dont really know tho!

how much money is big money?

i imagine that releasing one CD professionally would probably cost less than a new Nord Lead 3.  its alot but i think its not too insane.  I dont really know tho!

384325[/snapback]

Hm, well there's issues such as:

Firstly MAKING the tracks and compiling a CD.

Next, getting a decent enough mastering service.

Also you'll need to setup your own label as a registered company.

Once done, you'll need to press the cds and pay for jewel cases, artwork etc.

Then you'll need to pay for distribution.

You're probably looking around £0-2000 for step one, depending on what synths you need to buy :)

Not sure on mastering...

I'm not sure on how much it is to register a company either (off the top of my head)

The more CDs you press, the price should go down per CD - but usually for 1,000 cds you'll be looking at about £400-500

Distribution - these are the guys who will deliver the CDs to the shops - they'll pay you once they run out of stock - so it could be a few months before you see profit.

I'd say in all, you're looking around £1,000 to release a CD on your own record label.

I'd say in all, you're looking around £1,000 to release a CD on your own record label.

384343[/snapback]

woow... I wish it was, no, it's higher, really...

Printing cds is more expensive, registering the songs costs money, mastering, art work, artists, sending the cds allover the world,...

Printing cds is more expensive, registering the songs costs money, mastering, art work, artists, sending the cds allover the world,...

384357[/snapback]

Okay so how much (roughly) would you say an artist album costs? (obviously you've released some already so you'll know ;) )

384357[/snapback]

Id say, you can do it for 2000 pounds, around 3000 euros. It all depends on how well connected you are. For me, I wont pay for mastering or the artwork, I have people that owe me favors for that.

Most serious pressing plants will send you atleast 2 batches, one to you and one to your main distribution.

The harder part is if you want to be your own distribution, then you will really have to pay for those kind of things as well.

Registering the songs? I cant remember doing that other than with STIM.

Another thing, PsyTrance profitable? No, i dont think so.... unless you really touch the mainstream. But then you will have to be IM or so :)

But yeah, I think its doeable for 3000 euros or less, if you are really smart and connected to some people :)