Purple Orchid (Original Live rmx)

Tooth

Standard Clear

Nom

32cem

Less Is More

Swich – feat. Standard Clear & DJ Flan

Style:Full On

Debut album of Japanese artist Tadashi Sasaki. After some great tracks released in several compilations it’s time for his first album. I had only heard two of his tracks before this album, Wagama and RAM, both released in 3D Vision and they were both excellent and really intense!

First track is a tune called Alive. It starts with a Japanese female singing before the bassline and the fast kick enter. Tribal percussion together with live organs and brutal male vocals. Around minute 6 we get a strange melody, definetely not trancey but in more Asian style. The distorted sounds come again with this wicked melody and the track explodes. Strange track. When I first listened to it I didn’t like it that much but after a few times became on of my favorites here.

Track two is the remix of the Wagama track, originally released in The Sound Syndicate compilation (3D Vision 2004). Although the bassline is much more aggressive than the original and there is an interesting melody in the end, it’s less intense from the original track with less climaxes. Still it’s a great track, hard and psychedelic. Very good!

Third track is a collabpration with Christof Drouillet aka Absolum. This track is in Trojan compilation too (Timecode 2005). Very nice track with screaming melodies. More in Theoreme style than Absolum. It could be better if the bassline was more Absolum-ish meaning harder but is still hard with a great climax around 6:50 and a nice haunting melody around 3:47 but it lasts only a couple of seconds. Great one!

Track four is Purple Orchid remix. I suppose the original has been released in a compilation before but I’ve never heard it. Ok, the bassline starts from the first seconds. Strange bass like in most of the tracks. Something between 3D Vision harder bass and morning Full On bass. Anyway the track is again harder than the usual Full On stuff with lot of acid sounds not very complicated or superb but an ok party track.

Tooth has a similar bassline with Purple Orchid and the first minutes are more Techno-ish and some jazzy patterns. The second half of the track is more aggressive with a cool climax and a nice, rocky melody. Party track again.

Standard Clear now is more atmospheric, especially the intro and really ambientelic. But only the first two minutes. After that the bassline starts together with the power and it becomes a killer. Amazing melodies not cheesy at all, a surpsrise for a Full On artist. Climaxes all over and the in the last minutes atmospheres again. One of the best tracks of this album.

Track 7 is Nom. Nice melodies again, kinda acid and power all the way. This track will make your body moves cause it rocks. Not very psychedelic but that screaming lines kick ass!

32cem is again in the same style with Nom. Very fast with some housey sounds and a nice climax at the end. More morning feeling in this one but still a solid track.

Next is Less Is More. Ok the title sucks but it’s not a miminal tune and maybe the most melodic tune here. I’m not a big fan of morning Full On but this one has some warm melodies and it’s not cheesy like most of the Astrix clones. The best moment of the track is the leading melody that comes in a climax around 4:40. Very good morning stuff.

Last track is different from the rest of the tracks. The bass is different and the kick too. Again some tribal, ethnic ingredients. The melodies here are really beautiful and kinda mealcholic (at least for me). Very nice track for Sunday mornings.

Overall this is one of the best Full On albums of 2005. I was expecting more power but it’s a really good release. Harder than the usual and less, less cheesy. Most of the tracks are suitable for both day and night times. The basslines could be harder and the sound production ain’t that clear or sharp. But I’m sure Tadashi prefers it that way. 8.5/10

Fav:1,2,6,7,10

The sound is OK enough imo :) bit raw at times but I like it that way hehe. Great cd, first track is a great opener and I fully agree with Ormion's review (great review mate.. you seem to have the same taste in psy as I do)