V/A - Quality Relaxation

DeathPosture

yes, psytones concentrated indeed. i see his english is very good haha.

i'll post a short review soon too.

351488[/snapback]

:o ... oh. You ment it :) haha, i thought you where shitting me pants ja.

Looking backwords from a review of moni.

• 3 weeks later...

i'll post a short review soon too.

351488[/snapback]

Looking forward to your review Moni...:)

By the way, the Quality Relaxation compilation is still available at:

Beatspace:

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2068

and

Saikosounds:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4866

Thanks again for all the positive feedback!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Entheogenic-Walk On Air > I didn't recognize Entheogenic immediately because of the harmonies which are slightly different (less psychedelic & more sunny) but above all it's due to the rythmic consisting in a sort of slow drum n' bass. The voices samples (deep woman voice incantating/singing), them, are typical Enthéogenic trademarks. They've s managed here, to make their sound evolving without loosing their own characteristic & they should keep going on producing this deeper way for their next tunes in the future.

Elysium-Fayritale > I don't like the man voice here, it's not matching with the concept of 'Fayritale' as he seems to suffer on half of the song,it's painful.Furthermore, the cold & sleepy aspects of this track don't fit with my chill tastes.

Shulman-The Unexpected Visitor (Carbon Based Lifeforms-Carbonator Remix)> It propluses you through vast, flat, snow recovered & deserted landscapes illuminated by the low & almost horizontal scandinavian lights. This is hardly if you could be disturbed by a kind snow fall from 3'12 with flakes tickling your visage.

Ishq-En Soph> It's time for more complex production & typical climatic ambient. It's in the old ambient tradition (from an electronic view & not strictly psy one), i mean long tunes, nature's samples (birds singing), it's totally beatless conferring an intemporal side to the tune. It's sad we don't see more tracks like this released by the pretended psy-ambient&chill labels.

Jaïa-Missing> This band has been famous, by the past, for their exotic goa sounds but also for few chill tunes such as 'L'Ivresse Des Profondeurs' for example. Missing plays mainly on the amplitude's variation of certain sounds whereas , on the end, it turns more into classical music with violin's chords.

Cell-Secret Wedding>Same thing as for Elysium, this track doesn't enter in my chill tastes but the reasons are different: globally too heavy in its harmonies & the rythmic is too much at the first plan not enough in background (especially the kick).

PhasePhour-Unpronounced Numbers>I find the melody awful here.

Elysium vs Space Cat-Dub Connection>Another palette of chill area is explored now with this warm pleasant dub song revealing more acoustic tones (bass, rythmic & percussions).

Altitudes-Altitude 1> As i already told, i don't like when there's pumping beats in chill stuff & it's the case here. Except this, the structure is more weird & diversified compared to all other tracks which contributes to

enhance the content's quality.

Blue Planet Corporation-Wild City> There's some similarities with previous track but here in a more accomplished way & with a reasonnable rythmic :) . You've got some slighty sour 303 loops in the background plus an undeniable irresistible funky-jazzy groove.

As the compilation aims to explore a bit of each chill directions, it explains why, according to me, there's a big chance you'll enjoy some tracks & others won't fit your taste at all.

Everestic chill:1,3,4,8,10

7/10

• 7 months later...

Quality Relaxation has become a very hyped compilation, and looking at the tracklist it's understandable. I've been looking forward to this compilation ever since I heard of it. Now that I'm listening to it I can't help but feel more unsatisfied than satisfied.

&

I'm done with the tired and unimaginative use of ethnic samples, the tunes by Entheogenic and Elysium would have been a lot better without those. Now I can't help but skip those two tracks.

This compilation is really not all that: 3 / 5

300718[/snapback]

Yay, my words exactly. Let me try to be critical.

I'm writing this as I'm listening to it, so it might be a little fragmented.

The Entheogenic song is just plain boring and cliche, if you ask me, the woman's voice adding nothing to the song. It's been done before (by them!) and better too.

Elysium's track was pretty nice and floaty until this dude's voice comes in. AARGH. Skip to next song!! Ouch, that was nasty. Please don't ever do that again!

The CBL remix fo Shulman is actually quite nice and is a good remix with that heavy thumping bass with the Shulman fluteline on top of it. I do like this! Nice 'n acidic track! :)

Ishq is alright too, although I'm not too big a fan of Ishq.

Jaia fits really well with the album-cover, although I'd expected a little bit more: it's got a certain cloudy feeling. I find this quite boring, but maybe I expected something a little less ambient? Towards the end it gets a little busier and a little more upbeat with some standard psychill synthy sounds, which fills the song somewhat more. Not that interesting, but not really bad either.

I hate (!) the Cell song. Damn, that's annoying, those ethnic chants. Otherwise the song is too busy as well, really doesnt work for me.

Phasephour to me sounds like a very pitched down goa tune. Not bad again, but no inspiration if you ask me. Dull. Maybe I shouldnt review psybient albums anymore. :(

Next are Elysium and Space Cat, who start of with some funky bass plucking, dry thudding dubby beats and some kid screaming something non understandable in the background. There's some strings in the background, stringing away... Still, there doesn't seem to be a lot happening. The Dub does make my head bob though and that's definitely a good sign. All in all it's not really that dubby, I must add...

Altitudes is upbeat psychill and again, it feels like I've heard it all before. Nothing spectacular. SKIP!

The final song, well, its kinda groovey but fukkit. I have had enough of this. I doubt I'll ever give this a listen again.

Sorry. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Woow, that's hard critics Snapinho! But I respect that we have different opinions. I hope you will like the fortcoming release on Chill Tribe better..;) Styles and artists will vary from release to release, so there is still hope...

Thanks again for all the feedback people!

All the best!

PKS (Chill Tribe Records)

Woow, that's hard critics Snapinho! But I respect that we have different opinions. I hope you will like the fortcoming release on Chill Tribe better..;) Styles and artists will vary from release to release, so there is still hope...

Thanks again for all the feedback people!

All the best!

PKS (Chill Tribe Records)

599369[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. I even got this album as a present from faze (thanks nonetheless dude! :)) but I was pretty disappointed. Maybe it's cause a lot of psychill doesn't seem to evolve as I'd hope for. Meaning: a lot of artists seem to be relying on the same tricks, same sounds, same-same samples. Well, having read quite some reviews of yours, I think you do indeed have a good taste. This comp just didnt reflect that, but hey: tastes differ indeed! :) I'm still curious about your next release though, that's something, ain't it? ;)

Well, having read quite some reviews of yours, I think you do indeed have a good taste. This comp just didnt reflect that, but hey: tastes differ indeed! :) I'm still curious about your next release though, that's something, ain't it? ;)

599400[/snapback]

Yes. Thanks for an honest opinion. Fingers crossed for the next release... :)

• 2 years later...