V/A - Electroscopic [Moonflower Productions]

freak51

1. Triac / Discharged

Nice sounds here make for a good effort.

2. X-Dream / Psychomachine (Midi Miliz Rmx)

The single greatest remix of this track, ever. Generally, I don't believe in rehashing old ground, but I'll make an exception here. If anything, it drills even harder into the spine. Almost worth the price of the whole release.

3. Spirallianz / Battlejuice (More Sugar Mix 2005)

This is an adequate remix, but inessential if you have the original.

4. Cybered / Invasion

Russian-sounding cacophany. Like every sound you've ever heard, drilled through the speakers at the same time.

5. K.U.R.O. / Ion Park

KURO's Golden Moments were "FreeXone", "Ghost", and arguably "KTT". This track comes closer than some of his later video-game sounding releases, but he makes some unfortunately melodramatic rhythmic choices.

6. Dopamin / Dirty Samba

It chugs along with some nice rattling, but seems to lack finish.

7. Platform / Back Front

Outdoor-friendly overtones, but it feels like 2nd-world dentistry to me. Laboured.

8. Platform / Venetzian Dealer

Prog-dentistry. Clip-Art. Meh, the percussion annoys me, too plodding and linear.

When I ran through this CD, it was a let-down. But then I cheered up. It means that my favourite [sub-sub]-genre of psy-tech has matured enough to produce a so-so, just-going-through-the-motions, ordinary beige comp. This means that it's probably about to blow up into hundreds of releases, with a dozen or so of them being any good. I may not have to wait 6 months at a time for an update.

Still, this comp gets 3.5/10 from me. And 2 of those are from the outstanding Psychomachine remix.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't post full content here for a few simple reasons. My reviews are not static; I update them over time when my opinions change, when I get fresh feedback from a crowd after playing a tune from the release, and other such things... I don't want to have to maintain my reviews wherever they appear; that's why I put so much work into my own web site - so there's one place to find them all. Secondly, most of my reviews feature links that would be time-consuming to translate into a format this board recognizes.

I had a few people ask me to put my reviews up here on psynews recently, so I threw down some links. If it's such a problem for you to spend 1 second clicking a link to a review that took me entire days to write, then don't bother. If this really offends you on some deep level, take it up with admins.

:rolleyes: yes it really offends me to click the link... hold on where's the that report button.

Your explanation suffices, thank you for clearing it out. I understand your opinions may change on the material, and it's interesting to see reviews as bio-entities that adapt with time, but people read reviews once... they will take with them the first impression you gave them. Just my two cents... have good one.