Compile a FREq singles collection

Basilisk

You've got 80 minutes to fill... what FREq singles do you select from the artist's growing repretoire of solid psychedelic progressive sounds? It doesn't have to be best of - sometimes obscure is just as well with this sort of exercise.

I'll post my list when I actually go to burn my version :) I'm putting this together because his tracks are found all over the place, but I find almost all of them work nicely with full-on... my binder is organized such that progressive compilations are at the other end from the more active stuff, therefore - burn a singles CD and put it near the full-on! Convenient :)

My first 2 encounters with his sound are absolutely essential; “Wasp” (“VA - Outback Eclipse 2002” on Exotic Native) and “Monochrome” (“VA - Sunday Sessions - After Eclipse vol 1” on Exotic Native) are both deep progressive monsters and unlike almost all his newer stuff, they’re running with a BPM right under 130.

His breakthrough on the progressive psytrance scene is also worth noticing – I’m of course talking about “Short Life Again” released on “Revive” from Plusquam. After that, he released tons of tracks – some great, some mediocre. If I should fill up 80 minutes, I would perhaps pick these 9. It’s both slower progressive stuff, the more full onish tunes and also his only chillout track so far, so perhaps it’s not quite suited for your use – but if I where to compile a “best of FREq” album showcasing not only his best track, but also the most diverse repertoire in the last 3 years, this would be it:

FREq - Wasp (“VA - Outback Eclipse 2002” on Exotic Native, 2002)

FREq - Monochrome (“VA - Sunday Sessions - After Eclipse vol 1” on Exotic Native, 2003)

FREq - Short Life Again (“VA – Revive” on Plusquam, 2003)

FREq - Return To The Masters [“VA – “Puzzled”” on Iboga, 2004]

FREq - Awaken (Materialize) [“FREq – Strange Attractors” on Iboga, 2004]

FREq - Bliss [“FREq – Strange Attractors” on Iboga, 2004]

FREq - Incense Tree [“VA - Permutations” on Zenon, 2004]

FREq Vs. Spherical Vs. Fractal Glider – DFF [“VA – A Day After...” on ZMA, 2004]

FREq Vs. Antix – Frantix (Azza Mix) [“VA – Playground” on Iboga, 2004]

Sweet compilation there pr0... You've given this some thought - nice!

I absolutely love FREq, but my knowledge of his music is limited to the stuff I actually own physically + a couple of tracks I've heard @ parties... So my compilation would look something like this... (Flow is prolly way off BPM-wise, but who cares - it's my compilation!)

FREq - Incense Tree [Permutations - Zenon Records 2004]

FREq - I've Been Sent [irresistible Meltdown Vol. 3 - Plusquam 2004]

FREq – Dreambody (Progressive Mix) [strange Attractors - Iboga 2004]

FREq – Nurbs [strange Attractors - Iboga 2004]

FREq – The Dreaming [OV Silence Chapter Three - OV Silence 2004]

FREq – Strange Attractor [strange Attractors - Iboga 2004]

Sensifeel - Back To The Future (FREq Rmx) [Vision Of Live - Domo Records 2004]

FREq vs. Spherical vs. Fractal Glider - DFF [A Day After... - ZMA 2004]

FREq – SHM (Melodic Mix) [Magnetic Storm - Groove Zone 2005]

Argh, I still have loads of stuff to add to my FREq collection... If only I was made of money... :huh:

DeathPosture

Guest .::E.P

You've got 80 minutes to fill... what FREq singles do you select from the artist's growing repretoire of solid psychedelic progressive sounds? It doesn't have to be best of - sometimes obscure is just as well with this sort of exercise.

I'll post my list when I actually go to burn my version :) I'm putting this together because his tracks are found all over the place, but I find almost all of them work nicely with full-on... my binder is organized such that progressive compilations are at the other end from the more active stuff, therefore - burn a singles CD and put it near the full-on! Convenient :)

246956[/snapback]

Wouldn't it be a bit too boring mate. I mean he's good at what he do but in my opinion (of course) all his track are a bit too similar.

Wouldn't it be a bit too boring mate. I mean he's good at what he do but in my opinion (of course) all his track are a bit too similar.

247123[/snapback]

Distinctive? Yes

Boring, not really.

At least not until he started churning them out by the dozen.

Guest .::E.P

247179[/snapback]

In my opinion he's already on his way to do that. If he dont change his style and especially his sterile sound it will soon be like GMS.. track vers. 200, 201, 203 etc. etc.

In my opinion he's already on his way to do that. If he dont change his style and especially his sterile sound it will soon be like GMS.. track vers. 200, 201, 203 etc. etc.

247196[/snapback]

247179[/snapback]

notice the past tense

my mistake :)

247383[/snapback]

I'm just fucking with you.

No need to apologize.

Well, here are my choices:

1. Return to the Masters [iboga - Puzzled]

2. Carbon Based Lifeforms [iboga - Strange Attractors]

3. Short Life Again [Plusquam - Revive]

4. We Communicate [Groove Zone - Groove Zone]

5. I've Been Sent [Plusquam - Irresistible Meltdown 3]

6. FREq vs Antix - Frantix (Azza mix) [iboga - Playground]

7. Awaken (Materialize) [iboga - Strange Attractors]

8. FREq vs Spherical - Bit Shifter [Domo - Swiss Connection]

9. Frogacult - All Seasons (FREq rmx) [iboga - All Seasons rmxs]

Would have also liked to include the Antix remix of Return to the Masters, but it wouldn't fit into the 80 minutes, and there is already the original.

In fact, I think I will make myself a best of FREq cd.

@ E.P. A lot of these are far from formulaic (but I guess you are talking about the latest releaes, and unfortunately, as much as I like the dude, I have to agree with you.)

247123[/snapback]

Quality summertime background beats, if I'm going to put the whole thing on at once. Dance around the loft and get a few things done while the nice air comes in through the windows, and FREq jumps out of my speaker, you know?

Part of the fun challenge here is getting to the different sounds from him... it's not ALL the same after all. Cut through some of the singles, take the representative slices, and there's no question one can come up with 80 minutes of good listening.

Great comps, profane, dp, & futher. Looks like I'll still need some time to get to mine :)

Very nice topic!

Indeed, he's moved pretty fast from undiscovered jewel to over-exposed standard-progger. Which is probably why he started to use an alias on the Wireless-compil. It's become kind of a marketing strategy to put a Freq-track on a compilation, i guess...

For instance the Icecream-track on Amarasya is pretty nice, but unfortunately nothing REALLY special IMHO

But the Strange Attractors-cd will remain a cherished gem in my collection for many years to come. I also get the feeling that it was meant to be enjoyed as a whole (like Shiva Chandra - Gecko) rather just a bunch of songs put on a cd.

Any of you Freq-lovers who actually heard that "mythical" first Freq album on Distance back in 1997??? Pretty curious what that's all about.

BTW: is there any difference to the Return to the Masters on Puzzled & the one on the full album, as I only own the last?

What I would really look forward to myself is a Freq-dj-set!

Or is he stil one of the few artists who believes in sticking to what you're best at instead of cashing in your 15min's of fame...

Indeed, he's moved pretty fast from undiscovered jewel to over-exposed standard-progger. Which is probably why he started to use an alias on the Wireless-compil.

Any of you Freq-lovers who actually heard that "mythical" first Freq album on Distance back in 1997??? Pretty curious what that's all about.

BTW: is there any difference to the Return to the Masters on Puzzled & the one on the full album, as I only own the last?

247470[/snapback]

I didn't particulary like his Nyquist track on Wireless... A little too introvert and dark for my tastes...

As far as I know, RofM is the same on Puzzled and S.A. ... Antix did a remix of it on the Puzzled compilation..

The 1997 album on Substance is not Aran Gallagher, but rather composed by one Sean Deason... Aran did release his debut album in 1997 though - released on +Ion and called Alloys ... Anyone heard this one?

DP

As far as I know, RofM is the same on Puzzled and S.A. ... Antix did a remix of it on the Puzzled compilation..

DP

247484[/snapback]

You meant Playground-compil?

Very curious about that debut though :ph34r: