Goa Trance data base

Goa Travellers

I have searched on the Internet, and I didn't find it. I'd like to create a huge data base / search engine with the maximum of artists and tunes organized by country, year, style, rank, popularity, etc...

The data base would have as many artists and tunes as possible starting from the 90's to now. There would be also an eDonkey link for each tune to download the mp3, but there would be no mp3 available for tunes less than 1 year old, so that it doesn't prevent people from buying new releases.

I think Goa Trance is an underground movement, but it's quite hard for newcomers to find good stuff. This would be excellent for people to discover Goa Trance, because above all it's about music, and it's important to have like an online museum that shows that much work has been done for more than 10 years now.

I could start the project on my spare time and even host the project, but I'd need help to type the name of the artists along with information, releases, tunes, creating MP3s from original CDs, etc... If we all work together, would can have a pretty neat base of artists, we can also have a list of bedroom goa trance DJs.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon. I hope you like the idea. I don't think this would slower disk sales, on the contrary, it might just create more interest.

Ramesh.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I know discogs, they've been online for quite some time now, but there is no way to listen to the music, and also there are not all artists...  ;)

221153[/snapback]

that's true, all trance artists aren't present furthermore there's still lots of error in artists name or member component of group. Nevertheless this user info database is quite complicated to establish & update, so if you want to build one with musical links , i wish you good luck ;)

There is a great trance data base called Psychedelic Mind Expander www.psydb.net, but like u said about discogs, there are no mp3s, but an idea u might want to use is quotes, I think this an excellent way for new listeners to find artists, especially if u have no idea who the artist is or what album a track is off, this is just how I got into trance, from an old mix tape I aquired, it was mostly Hux Flux, so using a quote from Experimenting from potions I searched google, now I've got Trance coming out of my ears, or going in rather.

So If I understand it good, you want too create the ability to download old skool goa releases on legal sites ??? Or are you talking about samples ???

I think download programs like DC++ & soulseek provide what you tell... there's no harm in downloading old skool that can't be bought in psychedelic tranceshops anymore... and it goes very fast & easy...

Don't know If you have any idea but collecting all mp3 about releases since beginning earlier 90's until like 2002-2003... djeezes men that's a lot... And what a site has got that space to upload all those mp3's ???

+ ok discogs hasn't got all releases but I think it's idealistic wanting a 100% perfect database...

I wish you very good luck creating a bigger database then discogs at the time we stand now 2005... :)

still very cool initiatief and it would be a dream come trough if it succesed...

ps: The review section on this forum isn't bad at all... and mind expander is also safe but the search engine isn't good... you can't search by year for example comparing to this site...

but other problem... what whit re-releases... like they re-released 'indoor progressive trance' that was from 1995 I think :unsure: ... then it'll become illegal cause that release on your site is again available in trance shops ???

And what a site has got that space to upload all those mp3's ???

221171[/snapback]

It would be a distributed hosting among many goa fans, and they would host the mp3s with eDonkey 2000. I can convert my CDs to MP3, this will be quite a lot, I have music from the early Transwave and Total Eclipse.

+ ok discogs hasn't got all releases but I think it's idealistic wanting a 100% perfect database...

221171[/snapback]

We can start and see how far we can go, but I'm sure if we join forces we can build a pretty good database :)

I wish you very good luck creating a bigger database then discogs at the time we stand now 2005...  :)

221171[/snapback]

Let's see if people are interested in this project... If there are enough people to get started, then it'll work fine, because other people will see the database grow and will want to participate as well...

ps: The review section on this forum isn't bad at all... and mind expander is also safe but the search engine isn't good... you can't search by year for example comparing to this site...

221171[/snapback]

This was the idea: having an advanced search engine to take advantage of the database.

but other problem... what whit re-releases... like they re-released 'indoor progressive trance' that was from 1995 I think  :unsure: ... then it'll become illegal cause that release on your site is again available in trance shops ???

221171[/snapback]

Interesting point, I didn't think about it. It would be fair to remove the eDonkey links so that people buy the CDs rather than download it, better yet, put samples instead for these re-releases B)

It's not legal to provide music downloads because the release is not currently on the market.

It's not legal even if the artist would be dead.

Of course you could bypass the law by having links to eD2k so you do not host the files yourself and therefore not take responsibility yourself.

Alernativly host the files in Russia :)

You would piss off people and be in the forefront of pushing the legal boundaries if you do any of the above.

And you cannot be sure that there will be no chance of a lawsuit in the future, although maybe not so likely.

You can have streaming though, and thats legal independent of if the release is still available or not.

Provided you pay a fee to the royalty organisation of around $200 per mnth.

It's not legal to provide music downloads because the release is not currently on the market.

It's not legal even if the artist would be dead.

221227[/snapback]

well I was asking me the same question but didn't cause I thought the topic starter already should investigated the law stituation... that's why I wondered If he was talking about samples or full tracks...

so it's illegal as I thought...

Yes but... B)

I already have a huge amount of goa trance CDs at home that I have bought for the last 8 or 9 years, and since the beginning I have used Kazaa, Napster and now eDonkey 2000.

I haven't bought my license of MS Windows, but I have given the same amount of money for victims of the tsunami disaster :rolleyes:

I already have a huge amount of goa trance CDs at home that I have bought for the last 8 or 9 years, and since the beginning I have used Kazaa, Napster and now eDonkey 2000.

221235[/snapback]

Then take some time off and read what it says on the CD's.

Nahhh I better do it for you:

The Copyright in this Sound Recording is owned by "xxx".

Unathorised Copying, Public Performance, Broadcasting Hiring or Rental of the Recording Prohibited.

And some even say this these days: Unathorised duplication, CD burning, trading and internet uploading and downloading of the copyrighted sound recordings on this CD is a violation of application laws.

I would indeed sue you if I found my music on such a server without mine and the respective labels permission. I would not even blink an eye before suing you. And just because you make a download link to some other server does not make you innocent in the eye of the law.

It's very likely that you would have not one but many lawsuits in the future if you go ahead with the plan.

And just because you make a download link to some other server does not make you innocent in the eye of the law. 

221240[/snapback]

It's not illegal to provide links to P2P networks.

The crime is commited by the users on the P2P network, not by the site linking.

And it's perfectly legal to even sell copyrighted material from a host in russia.

It's a grey zone of the law.

It's not illegal to provide links to P2P networks.

The crime is commited by the users on the P2P network, not by the site linking.

And it's perfectly legal to even sell copyrighted material from a host in russia.

It's a grey zone of the law.

221248[/snapback]

Then explain to me how come a man last year in Denmark was found quilty in linking from his website, yes linking and nothing more, to a illegal P2P network and indeed also linking to other website promoting links to other p2p networks... Now just explain it to me if you can.. Or do you claim that the lawyers and judge did not know the law and convicted him unjustful?

@EP

Please tell me more if you have any references to that case.

From what I read there is cases, but the law is not normally very clear on what the stance is. So it can be other factors or not using the correct wording on the site that made him step over the law.

Law's and interpetations vary from country to country and I'm sure they are rapidly changeing.

There is heaps of sites providing P2P and torrent links and many that has been existing for many years.

Like I said to Goa Travellers I would not be sure that it would be safe to do so, because I'm sure there is interests wanting to stop that from happening and I would not consider it a safe option.

But to be sure of wheather it's considered legal or not depends on where he is planning to run the site from.

It sure be very difficult to find a host that will let you have an account with them if you are providing links to eD2K.

But not impossible, and there has been cases in for example Holland where they made clear that linking to illegal downloads is not a crime.

And if you host in russia, like I said it is actually legal to sell downloads without paying labels and artists.

I'm sure RIAA are doing as much as they can to stop sites like www.alllofmp3.com, but legally it seems to be a tough challenge.

Personally I can see the problem from a legal perspective.

Say we are discussing this subject and I happen to mention www.illegaldownloads.com as an example.

Should I be sued for even mentioning that site?

It gets a bit fuzzy easily and can demand to restrict the freedom of speech.

One thing is sure, you need to have cash for a good lawyer if you want to sue someone for having links.

You'll have a much easier case against the actual P2P users, because there the law is clear in most countries.

;) Here's my suggestion: The web site will not hosted in a country that has copyright issues. Plus: If we do this project, there will be an easy way to enable/disable links to eDonkey or, an easy way to replace these links by links to lo-fi samples instead.

But if the site becomes popular and people click the links "Order from T.I.P" for instance, and it helps selling CDs, it's going to be an a good achievement, won't it?

In my country I don't have to worry about this  B)  It's not like is developped countries where it's risky to use P2P software. :unsure:

221265[/snapback]

I have no objection to the possibility of downloading ancient goa-tracks that can no longer be obtained the legal way. There has never been an abundance of psychedelic albums nor shops where you can buy 'em. It is virtually impossible to get a hold of anything released before '97. I have been trying to find a place to buy the goa-head collections, beyond color from tip and mystic cigarettes - so far unsuccesful. I've never fully supported bootlegging, but then again if the music is not available for purchase and more and more record companies go bankrupt, there is only one way for the artists to be heard. Some of the best goa out there is from the 94-98 period and it is nowhere to be purchased. :unsure:

As for the tracks available for purchase, I wouldn't want to see them available for free download and anyone who puts new stuff such as Shpongle 3 or Unusual Suspects 2 on p2p for free download is a complete wanker in my eyes <_<

Rather, there should be a link to one of the excellent online-shops, such as www.psyshop.com, where they are available. I would hate to see some of the record labels going out of business... Maybe they should follow tipworlds and avatar's excellent example of re-releasing old stuff, as was the case with infinity project - mystical experiences/mystery of the yeti pt. 1. ;)

@Goa Travellers

I think you will have truble with a lot of people if you offer downloads.

Sure they will not be legaly able to reach you if you are based in say russia.

But you will piss people off.

But I would think that it should be no problem for you to offer streams.

No one is attacking psilosomatica or other web radio stations and there should be no need to contact the labels for permission.

And I'm sure the fees is much lower than what I said in for example russia, if any at all.

If people like to they can of course grab the streams, but thats not your responsibility.

;) Here's my suggestion: The web site will not hosted in a country that has copyright issues. Plus: If we do this project, there will be an easy way to enable/disable links to eDonkey or, an easy way to replace these links by links to lo-fi samples instead.

But if the site becomes popular and people click the links "Order from T.I.P" for instance, and it helps selling CDs, it's going to be an a good achievement, won't it?

221273[/snapback]

And if an artists, label, distributor, copyright organisation ect. asked you to remove various downloads + links you would do it immediately without hessitation?

@ spindrift.

I will try and see what i can dig up about the case I mentioned.

Then explain to me how come a man last year in Denmark was found quilty in linking from his website, yes linking and nothing more,  to a illegal P2P network and indeed also linking to other website promoting links to other p2p networks...  Now just explain it to me if you can..  Or do you claim that the lawyers and judge did not know the law and convicted him unjustful?

221258[/snapback]

There was a similar case in norway recently, where a man was judged to pay 100.000 NOK in damages to the norwegian answer to RIAA. He had links to pages with mp3 downloads on his site though, not just p2p links. I think the law on this matter vary from country to country, but it's to easy to say that you won't be charged just because you aren't the one hosting the actual file. Setting up a link is making you involved as well, and it will be much easier to sue the link-holder than each and every file sharer on a p2p network.

Anyways, I don't really see the pont of this, shouldn't people be able to connect to a p2p network and seatch for themselves? Putting up links shouldn't really be necessary. IMO we don't need another database than discogs either, if you don't find a release there you are free to submit it. No need to start a whole new database.