Oryx - Advanced Retromodel

Basilisk

Well this is indeed 'the reefer decree kicks that continues'... Like it a lot but found the older version pots & pans better then this more trancy progressive... still evolution has it's way ;) ... kinda cool that you can instantly recognize the sound of reefer decree... I respect that... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oryx - Advanced retromodel (Iboga records, 2004)

Posted Image

01 - The crow

02 - Bricks N pieces

03 - Electro-cute

04 - Kong-fusion

05 - Connect it

06 - Yugi

07 - Funky-five

08 - This goes back

09 - Jaw control

Yes you immediatly recognize the Reefer Decree's bassline :)

I can't say the album is bad, it just becomes boring to listen to it from track 1 to track 9. Otherwise i don't think there are boring tracks in it, for me all the tracks are worth listening to if you listen to them as singles, but as I just said, from track 1 to 9, you get tired...cause too much tracks sound similar. I am pretty sure it's because of this bassline (which i like :)) but it's too much similar from the start till the end...my favourite tracks are 04 - Kong-fusion and 08 - This goes back, both sound like classics to my ears, and track 02 too, because of the groovy bassline, reminds me Billy jean :D.

If you want something groovy with a melodic touch, give it a try, but the album could has been better with some (still groovy but) darker tracks in it, for more variety. My rating : 6/10.

i seriously dig Oryx's style(and reefer's as well obviously),and this album has some fine moments.

that said,it has too many week moments as well,as stated here in the reviews.

Soundwise it can be much better.but the "freestyle" feel and the surprising structure of the tracks are good and original.

if u like it, check his track on the Iboga Floating Point 2 comp,where some improvement in the production is actually felt ,& the track itself is wicked.

lookin' forward to the upcoming Reefer Decree album... :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

This is very nice, mellow progressive album. It is very tame and it sound slike some gentle soul made it. There is no repressive sounds, noisy effects and it just sounds cozy and smooth. I don't think it is that average album, a little bit above average, okay, it is not extraordinary but no one is making extraordinary albums these days ( except Filteria ) so this is just as good as any other quality release. My favourites are : THE CROW, ELECTRO CUTE, CONNECT IT, YUGI, THIS GOES BACK, JAW CONTROL ( the best one on album, perfect ambient song, by itself worth the album )...6/10, with Jaw Control reaches 7/10