Fair market value - rare Goa classics

vancbc

In a bidding war, I realise market value is really subjective and only really determined by how badly any number of people want any given album. However, what would be considered fair market value for most now-rare Goa releases that come up for grabs?

Again I realise that it's really determined by your financial status and how badly you want something, but there has to be a point at which the price becomes ridiculous for the majority of people.

For example, I saw Prana - Cyclone go for over $103.50 USD on ebay and then went to another legitimate and trustworthy website and saw the same thing for a fixed price of $28.99.

I'm kind of confused. I see items going on Ebay for more money than you can purchase them from places such as Saikosounds and Psyshop. Are some of these items original releases versus re-releases and consequently of more value to collectors?

In a bidding war, I realise market value is really subjective and only really determined by how badly any number of people want any given album.  However, what would be considered fair market value for most now-rare Goa releases that come up for grabs? 

Again I realise that it's really determined by your financial status and how badly you want something, but there has to be a point at which the price becomes ridiculous for the majority of people. 

For example, I saw Prana - Cyclone go for over $103.50 USD on ebay and then went to another legitimate and trustworthy website and saw the same thing for a fixed price of $28.99. 

I'm kind of confused.  I see items going on Ebay for more money than you can purchase them from places such as Saikosounds and Psyshop.  Are some of these items original releases versus re-releases and consequently of more value to collectors?

211212[/snapback]

Original releases will go for much much more, usually. There will always be insane collectors (like me) who insist on having the original release of everything. But if you're slightly more sane, you'll want ot for the music and not for the catalogue number, so go with the re-release where available =)

You'll see insane prices on eBay, but also bargains. For records that were commercially released, patience will always work - It'll show up again and again, trust me. But for ultra-rarities you might get your only chance in 5 years (or it might NEVER come again), and I personally paid insane amounts of money for some promo-only Etnica & Pleiadians singles. But for a record that got a proper release, I will probably never ever pay over 50 euro. I can think of maybe two records that I'd pay that much for, and then the rest caps off at 30 euro or so. I saw the Power Source album go for nearly 50 euro on eBay a while back but I staid off since I thought it was too high even for a record like that, and sure enough I got ahold of it in a trade a few weeks later.

So don't get caught up in the frenzy, sit back and play it cool. Focus on the stuff you really want and also hunt outside of eBay - spend an hour or so in Google searching for the record and click anything that might be a shop. I've found real treasures this way. Prana - "Cyclone" shows up on eBay several times a month, paying anything above 30 dollars for it is just stupid I think. Keep doing a few runs though ebay (and dont forget ebay.de) every week and you'll soon start to get better at searching as well as get an idea of what the prices are for various records and labels.

I'm kind of confused. I see items going on Ebay for more money than you can purchase them from places such as Saikosounds and Psyshop.

well that's also due to the fact that EVERYBODY knows of eBay but not many of other sources. Actually I can sell without problems a PDA screen protector for around 4€ on eBay when if one looks around well will find a pack of 10 such protectors for 10€ on the net!! (thus I sell it 4 times more expensive -- but don't tell anyone ;) )

Other factors can be lack of trust in international shipping and/ or lack of credit card... there are quite a few factors that influence the price.

But like Ukiro said, some stuff goes higher on eBay but there are also a lot of bargains if you know how to look for them. So I guess the age-old adage Caveat Emptor still has it's value ;)

Crazy prices are crazy. But nontheless, I would pay them to get good music.

(like H's Space Pussy single... I'd shell out way too much for it if I hadn't found it for 2 bucks!)

Well, an item is worth what the people want to pay for it (pure economy) even if it's actually not worth it! :)

I saw some crazy things on ebay (Indoor sold foor 300+€), I can't imagine someone gives so much for a piece of plastic... I could pay my rent, school and food for 1 month with that money!

But ebay is great, many releases are actually hidden between the items, which means you can sometimes buy rare cds véry cheap :) And without ebay I'm sure I wouldn't have many of the releases I really wanted...

But there is some thing in my head that sais 20€, no more... (except for a few cds.....)

Also, try to put your old records on ebay :) I sold Serious Beats 1 and 2 at a pretty high amount :)

i paid about 5€ for Ra - To Sirius

it was even a new copy

really happy about that! :)

211450[/snapback]

It's quite easy to find on eBay even for HALF of that =) (well, not the vinyl version though)

The thing is not to be so desperate. I saw MFG - "The Prophecy" in a record store for 219SEK but decided to not get my hands on it right away even though I wanted it so much. Later on, I got a new copy of the exact same album for 80SEK.

I have a policy of ususally not buying anything below 100SEK and it also has to be new. Now with the US Dollar being so remarkably low, I can find several classic albums matching these criteria.

If you find a wanted album, don't get over excited and try to find it somewhere else. The first offer usually won't go away immediately. If you don't find a better offer, then re-evaluate and see if the purchase really is worth it, and if so, grab it :)

If you find a wanted album, don't get over excited and try to find it somewhere else. The first offer usually won't go away immediately. If you don't find a better offer, then re-evaluate and see if the purchase really is worth it, and if so, grab it :)

211485[/snapback]

That's true... I almost bought JR - Transmissions for 60$, but then found it for 20...