V/A - Wingmakers (Dragonfly records)

Frontier Psychiatrist

Wingmakers - Compiled by DJ Pogo (Dragonfly Records Oct. 2004)

1.Silicon Sound – Wired 7:57

2.Laughing Buddha & Pogo – Dragon Wings 7:40

3.Dickster & Pogo – Try This 7:48

4.Tristan & Pogo – Freakin' Out 7:36

5.Graham Wood & Franco Rossi – Resurge 9:05

6.Prometheus – Golden Triangle 8:07

7.Quadra – Alien Life Form 7:42

8.Wingmakers – Phoenix Rising 8:30

9.Polaris & Hopi – Wise Man 7:58

Yay, 2 thumbs up for DJ Pogo to be able to gather so many big UK names and several other ones for such a kick bottom compilation. The label is Dragonfly and if that’s not enough to promise quality tunes than you are welcome to hear it for yourselves.

The opener is the French Silicon Sound with rather boring tune, as opposed to most of his tracks that I heard so far. Laughing Buddha is up next with the Pogo himself to deliver us funky and groovy number with samples from Star Trek Enterprise. Typical British sound with a lot of little sounds and great samples. Next up is Dick Trevor, I must admit that I totally dig his new sound. His brand of full-on really makes the Israeli acts sounds childish and unprofessional. Together with Pogo we get a tune that has the same feeling as the previous but a bit darker and smoother. Once again a lot of very appropriate samples and penetrating little sounds that will surely push all the right buttons. The 4th tune is one of the highlights for me in the compilation. Tristan is the man behind it and he is definitely not someone who needs introduction. His reputation as one of the best UK psy producers is not something that is up for discussion. And this tune in which he collaborated with Pogo is another proof of his unique talents. This is slamming twister with strong, driving rhythm and multilayered sound above it. Holy crap, I’m freaking out! Next up are another 2 legends. Graham Wood of Blowfish and The Infinity Project teamed up with Franco Rossi of Lotus Omega and Crop Circles. Together they create very weird and dark tune with some old school sounds and technoish rhythm. The first time I listened to it I didn’t dig it but I probably will like it later. This is a totally unique tune. Benji Vaughn is up next with his solo project, Prometheus. If you didn’t spend 2004 in some Russian space station you surely heard his brilliant debut album that was released on Twisted Records. If you didn’t, make sure you do it really quick. And if you’ll hear this tune here you’ll understand what all the fuss is about. Golden Triangle is dark, minimal and it’s equipped with ridiculously busy low end. This is as psychedelic and adventurous as it gets in this compilation. You will either like it or hate it. I happen to like it. Next up is one of the hottest names around, Quadra. Formerly Israeli, and now residing in the US, Ido Liran is the one that responsible for Alien Life Form. This tune totally blows my mind. This is what Full-on is all about. Massive, no hostages taken attitude and a lot of scratching sounds as in the recipe. I must admit, I didn’t hear his debut album that was released 4 years ago on Boom records but this tune here makes me dig it up. Wingmakers is up next with Phoenix Rising. Unfortunatelly, I don’t have an idea who is behind this track because my copy is a promo version without the full credits, although there is Tristan feeling all over it. But any who is behind it, he definitely knows what he’s doing. This is a well crafted stormer that fits pretty well in the mood of this compilation. The closing tune belongs to Polaris and Hopi. This is unfortunutely more in the standard full on vein unlike most of the other tracks in the compilation. Pretty mediocre ending to otherwise excellent compilation

Recommendation: This compilation is clearly a must for everybody who likes the British sound. If Intricate, complex and intelligent full-on with strong progressive influences is your cup of chai I strongly recommend this one for you.

Favorite tracks: 2,3,4!,6!,7,8!!

post-350-1105202278_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Nice compilation by DJ Pogo that presents Dragonfly output these days. This is fine blend between mellow psychedelia and full on with pinch of progressive. Silicon Sound delivered standard morning tune, pretty good but it could have been done better. Laughing Buddha & Pogo made very good song, on the border of full on but with good dose of Van Kempen psychedelia. Dickster & Pogo made very funny track just because of funny Dick Trevor, pretty good drive. Tristan & Pogo made pretty wicked track, with the little help of Tristan wicked hand. Graham Wood & Franco Rossi made more psychedelic track and I like it most, maybe the best on disc by now...very bouncey and trippy, cute stuff...It sounds like going back to the roots of good old school...Prometheus made standard track of his, a bit weaker but still good...Quadra made wicked track also, as usual...distinct full on bassline with crazy melodies. Nice...Wingmakers made very nice track, Phoenix Rising is like a climax of compilation and it is pretty good one. Polaris & Hopi made standard full on track and I don't like it so much...Best on comp : 2, 3, 5 ( !! ), 8...7/10

• 6 years later...

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Wingmakers

Label: Dragonfly Records

Date: October, 2004

1.Silicon Sound – Wired 7:57

2.Laughing Buddha & Pogo – Dragon Wings 7:40

3.Dickster & Pogo – Try This 7:48

4.Tristan & Pogo – Freakin' Out 7:36

5.Graham Wood & Franco Rossi – Resurge 9:05

6.Prometheus – Golden Triangle 8:07

7.Quadra – Alien Life Form 7:42

8.Wingmakers – Phoenix Rising 8:30

9.Polaris & Hopi – Wise Man 7:58

Dragonfly Records has to be discussed when talking about great labels in the old days. Reading their Discogs page is like a whose who in Goa Trance so they knew how to release some great stuff. 2004 was a time when full-on was king and this compilation was one of the last things they released. Their website although operational hasn't been updated since 2007, so like the new Astral album, don't hold your breath. I heard this when it was released, but I wanted to give it another go to see if it still held up. Compiled by Pogo it is the first in a so far two part series. The second being released by Nano Records 3 years ago.

Wired- Pure Analog was always a special album for me as it was one of the first that introduced me to this genre. The fact that it was pretty damn good doesn't hurt. Johannes is able to create really descriptive music that tells vivid tales. This however is not his best effort. Whereas the tracks on Pure Analog were beacons of creativity, this seems to just coast by. Not surprisingly though the break is a dreamy trip that really has beauty with its pads and effects. The mood is eerie and the lead at the end isn't bad at all. The rest though, doesn't hold up. I think we all know he has done better.

Dragon Wings- "It's like you come on this planet with a crayon box. But it's all in what you do with the crayons, the colors that you're given. And don't worry about drawing within the lines or coloring outside the lines, I say color outside the lines, you know what I mean, color right off the page! Don't box me in, we are in motion to the ocean, we are not landlocked I'll tell you that!"

Posted Image

Where the f*ck were these? Not in my box of 64. Ahhh, this is much better. Jeremy and Jamie come together for pure British psytrance. It's driving and deeply psychedelic. Effects shimmer and the pedal is mashed to the floor. You can see this style represented in the next installment of the series. Long and evolving to put you in a true state of trance.

Try This- "Dude you gotta try this!"

Posted Image

Uh, no. No I don't. This is why blondes should only be allowed to live on the first floor. Dick Trevor and Jamie deliver another psychedelic gem. Bass sweeps and reverb effects cascade all over you like a waterfall. If you're looking for some sunshine look elsewhere as this is a dark rumbler. Not a lot of melody to be had, but still pretty deep.

Freakin Out- "Holy Crap I am freakin' out!"

Posted Image

Pogo again? Hey, superstar...if you want to drop multiple tracks, put out an album. Which I would buy because of your talent. This is more subdued, with a bunch of effects. My favorite part was the sample in the beginning. I can't believe that show has been on so long. You guys are old.

Resurge- "How are you feeling? Psychedelic?"

Umm, yeah, with his accent I am having a real Hostel moment. At first I hated this track because I was all about the go, go, go. Whattaya want, I was a dumb kid. This is really complex and deep with loads of effects and numerous shifts in focus. There is some goa flavor here and the break has that truly creepy sample of a scientist asking me how I'm feeling. If you allow yourself to delve into this it's quite good especially with that funky breakbeat.

Golden Triangle- His latest album Spike was underwhelming like a vegetarian pizza. You know you're all set for the pepperoni and sausage, but when it comes, nothing but spinach. But this was over 7 years ago so...you know...retro start. It's very techno heavy with an industrial slant. Effects dominate as it crawls along its psychedelic path. I like it more now than I did then, but I think we've established that I was stupid back then.

Alien Life Form- Ido has been fairly prolific with his full-on style and his album Serotonia was out near the same time. Like that album, this is some of his better stuff. Four on the floor with sweeps and echoes in true Pogo style. Did he help you with this? The break is another exercise in expansiveness, not in duration, but in feel. The lasers fire at will right up until a lead has had enough and ups the groove factor. The pulsating synth at the end is a nice touch. Really good track.

Phoenix Rising- I recognize Pogo and Dick Trevor in this group of 4, but that's it. It's another full steam ahead track with a loud lead moving frantically above some effects. The layers begin to stack up before it breaks down and reorganizes. It of course comes back, but it doesn't really hold a lot of interest for me. Instead of rising, this phoenix seemed to have to be coaxed out of retirement.

Wise Man- Polaris again. Like I said before, I wanted to like him as an artist, but his crappy music kept getting in the way. Pure generic full on. I think the less said about this the better, don't you?

I think I actually appreciate it more today than I did when I first heard it. True British psychedelia like the others before me have stated. Some really good tracks and some I don't ever have to hear again. If you liked this, check out the 2nd one, it's even better.

Psyshop

SaikoSounds

GoaStore

Mdk