V/A - Out On The Full

seraph

PSY HARMONICS 4 - OUT ON THE FULL

PSY HARMONICS

1. SINISTER ASSOCIATION - HOW DOES IT TASTE ?

2. TEXAS FAGGOT - STIFF NECK

3. THE VISITORS - NEVER KNOW

4. SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN - TRICKSTER

5. RIP VAN HIPPY - BROTHER LOVE AND THE CULT OF THE UNSTRAIGHT

6. ASSASIN DEVICE - THAT IS THERE

7. LO REZ - I HEAR IT IN MY GHOST

8. HIGHER SPIN STATES - HEINOUS GROOVE GLAND

9. ANTEDELUVIAN ROCKING HORSE - IT'S OK MOSQUITO

I just dig this compilation out of the bottom of the pile, under which stood for reason. I mean, I know I heard it once, but even that once was quite enough. First, this is not a trance compilation. You could be disseived by it cause you expect trance collection of tunes considering it is under name Psy Harmonics best of compilation. I am for variety in music but this compilation just goes slightly over that line. I can't even define this collection of rather deviant, non sense tracks. Generally, I liked various Psy Harmonics releases, but this release is so weird that it just takes you nowhere actually. Mixture of twisted jazz, sick breakbeat and noisy non sense psychedelic electronica, this concept actually doesn't do anything but annoy. I somehow deliberately reviewed it because I mostly reviewed great or very good stuff and rarely average or bad. This compilation is just plain bad, have to say. Why on Earth they bothered putting something like this ? The only decent tracks are I HEAR IT IN MY GHOST and IT'S OK MOSQUITO. The Visitors track has some interesting ideas and parts but in fact gets too monotonous and minimal. The rest sound like randomly thrown twisted ideas without any course. I see that a lot of you guys simply worship australian and finnish artists with their weird psychadelia but they do tend to get a bit too much weird, at least for my taste...Unfortunately I can only give it 3/10

dear seraph i think that u misunderstood the vibes of psy-harmonics...although its not their best compliation thay have many very interesting ideas...for example the faggott's stiff neck...OH GOD what a songie.also dont forget our luvly friend RIPVANHIPPY and his insane acid jazzly psychedelia and i dont mention the sHaolins.with no offence i believe that psyharmonics is a label that u ve got to put it inside your brain to understand it... from the covers of the WWWCOMCOM.COM guy throught the twisted psychedelic post punk post trance post electro post jazz etc...

a big hooray For OLLIE from greece!

It's been quite a while since I listened to this compilation, I do remember that it was one of the best releases back in its days. Now, equiped with better speakers and surround sound, this compilation sounds even better!

This is a good representation of the Psy-harmonics sound: twisted, dark and highly psychedelic forest music. There's the 4/4 tracks and the weird breaks tunes, a lovely variation indeed. There's lots of sounds and loops repeating and turning into a trance state of progressive madness. The atmoshpere is as psychedelic and twisted as it gets. These tunes may seem like random nonsense, but there's flow and progression in these tunes that tell of a planned and talented craftsmenship, at least to these ears.

The highlights are Sinister Association, The Visitors, Shaolin Wooden Men and Higher Spin States. The only forgetable track is by Assassin Device.

Back in 1998 this was one of the coolest, weirdest and most psychedelic releases. It still remains cool, weird and very psychedelic. I wish there were more labels that dared to challenge the boundaries of psychedelic music and put more variation in their compilations while not losing the focus on the atmosphere and vibe.

np: Excession - Spatialize

I can't call it psychedelic actually. Psychedelic music has some course, this has no course, it is just too random. Maybe it is in tastes, but the general thing is that this release is not psychedelic and I didn't hear 4/4 tracks. Every track here is different than another one. I quite like that kind of concept in general, but here, it just lacks lot of things to be psychedelic or trance for that matter. ;)

I can't call it psychedelic actually. Psychedelic music has some course, this has no course, it is just too random.

210050[/snapback]

These tracks are as random as fractals. Psychedelic music is about being in the moment and expecting the unexpected. Psychedelic music should question the boundaries rather than stick to them.

Psychedelic music does not equal psychedelic trance.

np: Bluetech - Alchemie Dub

These tracks are as random as fractals. Psychedelic music is about being in the moment and expecting the unexpected. Psychedelic music should question the boundaries rather than stick to them.

Psychedelic music does not equal psychedelic trance.

np: Bluetech - Alchemie Dub

210069[/snapback]

¨

agreed.

And seraph, If you don´t understand it , It`s not the music`s fault.

I did not put a review so I get some preaching around here. I find this PSYCHEDELIA if you might call it to be very boring and uninspiring. I didn't say it was music fault as you simply put it but that this artists and label gave us much better and quality music before and this is certainly not one of the better compilations or coolest and innovative from this label. Simple as that. Maybe I'll get another 4 posts about me being grumpy or whatever, I was just stating my opinion about the album and got highly intellectual answers.

Guest .::E.P

Actually I find it refreshing that there's at least one person that dare to write a review that's critical. Some of the always overjoyful and noncritial reviewers could actually learn something here.

And no I have not listened to it but I do know the various bands music and I would not touch that compilation with a finger... The only band I tend to like... actually I used to like them... Are Shaolin Wooden Men... But that was back in the days when they knew how to be deep and tribal - not just weird!

indeed, Psy-Harmonics had a phase where they were making VERY wierd stuff, actually even though Australia and Finland are at opposite sides on the Globe, their music sounded very much alike for that period IMO. That said, don't buy a comp with Texas Fagott AND Shaolin Wooden Men on it and expect it to be morning israeli oldschool à la Astral Projection and MFG... it's just common sense...

• Like 1

Guest .::E.P

indeed, Psy-Harmonics had a phase where they were making VERY wierd stuff, actually even though Australia and Finland are at opposite sides on the Globe, their music sounded very much alike for that period IMO. That said, don't buy a comp with Texas Fagott AND Shaolin Wooden Men on it and expect it to be morning israeli oldschool à la Astral Projection and MFG... it's just common sense...

210157[/snapback]

Who would ever think it would be like Astral? or MFG ;) That would be just as boring lol

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

hearing nick taylor drop the texas faggott track back in 9d8 i think caused some

serious damage! :) ahhhh the good 'ole days....

PSY HARMONICS 4 - OUT ON THE FULL

PSY HARMONICS

1. SINISTER ASSOCIATION - HOW DOES IT TASTE ?

2. TEXAS FAGGOT - STIFF NECK

3. THE VISITORS - NEVER KNOW

4. SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN - TRICKSTER

5. RIP VAN HIPPY - BROTHER LOVE AND THE CULT OF THE UNSTRAIGHT

6. ASSASIN DEVICE - THAT IS THERE

7. LO REZ - I HEAR IT IN MY GHOST

8. HIGHER SPIN STATES - HEINOUS GROOVE GLAND

9. ANTEDELUVIAN ROCKING HORSE - IT'S OK MOSQUITO