More concept CDs

Insejn

Why isn't more concept cds released? I mean like 'VA - Mystery of the 13 crystal skulls' where all the tracks have a certain feeling/theme to them. It's kinda hard to explain but if you listen to that cd you'll hear that there is a main theme throughout the whole cd. 'VA - Broken' is another example (maybe not a good example but still) of an excellent concept cd where a more dnb/breakbeat sound is the main theme. Another example is the 'VA - Twelve' cd. I would love to see more of that kind of releases. It's not that hard to come up with ideas. I mean, take some famous artists and let them make a really scary track, viola, we have a dark concept cd :) Imagine artists like Hallucinongen, Logic Bomb, Ticon, Psysex for example making something they otherwise shouldn't. It would be very cool to hear that. Make an artists make a sound they usually wouldn't make. I'm really sick of the regular VA cd released almost every single day.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like concept CDS a lot, doesn't matter if they are done by one artist or if it's an compilation. I mean the two 1200 Mics albums are both conecpt albums, one about drugs and one about important scientists / science. I like them a lot (but that's a matter of taste of course) and I also like Mystery Of the 13 Crystal Skull a lot.

There would be so many possibilities for concept albums: the space (p different planets, the sun, the moon, rockets...), diffenrent ages (ancient rome and greek, age of the dinosaurs, the future), different countries, heaven & hell... This could be very chalengeing for the artists and I hope there will be more concept albums soon. But I don't have a clue if artists are interestend in doing them.

For me trance music has to much to do with channeling some sort of flow to be transmitted to the dance floor.

In the end trance is really music for partying, and therfore not supposed to be to pretentious.

I think concept albums is a good idea for ambient or of course pretentios rock bands.

For me the more the home listening aspect gets involved, and the more pretentious the scene comes it looses it's original party spirit.

And come on...having drug-related track names or some various drug samples on top is not really making a concept album. Just a silly idea for a compilation really.

Maybe this is your point of view but I also listen to trance a lot at home or at work and I like my music to be a bit more than just dancefloor friendly. And I think that it is really possible to make music that is good for the dancefloor and also good to listen at home. The 1200 Mics albums for example fit for me at home and also at parties. And for me they are also more than just some random music with drug samples, the tracks give me feelings that machtes the drugs. But again that's personal taste.

I just think it is very necessary that psy doesn't limit itself just to get the dancefloor jumping around nuts. I mean there are so much artists it should not be so difficult to make different kinds of psy.

I just think it is very necessary that psy doesn't limit itself just to get the dancefloor jumping around nuts. I mean there are so much artists it should not be so difficult to make different kinds of psy.

200415[/snapback]

Agreed!

I know that there is many ppl that have that view of trance, and I'm not saying thats wrong.

Personally I can think of many genres of music that is much more fun to listen to at home than trance, and think it's much music in the parties getting played that is boring and crap because it sounds like it's made to be trance but still nice to listen to at home as well to sell more records.

To find music that fits all circumstances is a very common game in the music industry in general...finding the lowest common denominator.

For my taste that produces mediocre home listening music and mediocre party music.

To each his/her own of course. If there is music I don't like to listen to at home I will also not enjoy it on the dancefloor very much. If it's not my taste I can listen to it at a party for some time but I don't enjoy dancing to it. And taking drugs doesn't change that at all. Of course sometimes I hear tracks at parties and see another side of them because they are played loud and because I see the people react to them. After this I also enjoy homelistening. But most of the time parties don't make boring musig better for me.

I could not possibly disagree more with Spindrift. Thoughtful music does not equal to pretentious. Someone once said that "Goa is truly thinking man's music" and that is my opinion also. Of course it doesn't fit for most of music released these days, but then again I don't enjoy much most of modern psy.

When I go to parties I try not to be so serious about it and I settle for whatever it is they're playing, but at home I wanna play what I really like and frankly I can't think of anything better than good Goa & Psy. :)

Ok...for me thoughtful music sounds pretentious.

I like music where it doesnt sound like the person had to think to create the track, but just went with the flow and had fun.

For me intellect and music only really comes together with lyrics. Instrumental music should come purely from feelings and inspiration.

I honestly never understood ppl that say they have this great idea for a track.

To try to make a track after an idea in the head seems so extremly limiting for any flow or channeling of energy.

And ok...I'm also getting old...when I was younger I listened more to trance at home all the time. Mostly to get that great feeling you have on a party recreated.

But the concept of making music that should be good at home and at parties always annoyed me . It's two completly differnt settings, and in my ears a lot of music suffers from the compromises that is done because of that.

Ok...for me thoughtful music sounds pretentious.

For me pretentious would mean music that tries to be something that it isn't. Like, dunno, clubtrance producer making an attempt at goa but failing miserably or something...

And ok...I'm also getting old...when I was younger I listened more to trance at home all the time. Mostly to get that great feeling you have on a party recreated.

But the concept of making music that should be good at home and at parties always annoyed me . It's two completly differnt settings, and in my ears a lot of music suffers from the compromises that is done because of that.

200429[/snapback]

I guess the difference in opinion comes from our entirely different perspectives. For me parties are just a side product, home is where I spend most of my time and do it usually while listening to music. I don't listen to music to recreate anything, I listen to it because I like it.

I really do not understand the division to home and party music, if I like something at home, I like it at party and vice versa. Ok, maybe some downtempo or chill excluded, but for me it wouldn't work the other way around, that is, if I like something at a party, I'm going to like it at home too.

Pretentious for me does mean that you are pretending to be something more than you are.

It's not about pretending to be a house musician although you really are a trance musician.

It's about relating to your work as if it all is made to be timeless classics, with harmonies in the caliber of Mozart, production in class with Trevor Horn and synth programming in class with Jean Michelle Jarre,

Obviously not much music turns out like that, and to trying to achive that normally in my ears turns in to uninspired "pretentious" music.

I can really only enjoy music where it sounds like it was created having fun, and not when you can hear the person struggeling to achive something epic.

Maybe occupational hazard...what do i know :)

I can't see parties as a side product of trance music, so yeah, we have different perspectives for sure.

I would be curious to know what tracks that you had your best dance experiences too?

Obviously not much music turns out like that, and to trying to achive that normally in my ears turns in to uninspired "pretentious" music.

Well, not much music really is that good. A lot of stuff just isn't worth listening. Easily forgettable.

I would be curious to know what tracks that you had your best dance experiences too?

I don't know about that, but let me put it this way, the music that I've enjoyed most at a party would probably be Hallucinogen live and Ra live, in other words the very same stuff I'd play at home. Let it be said that I haven't been in psy-parties that many times because there simply isn't artists that I like coming this way that often.

Homelistening and Party are two completely different cups of tea for me.

At home I listen to all kinds of music, depending much on my mood and what I am doing. It will be very different tunes playing whilst I have breakfast, I am cleaning up, making love, hanging out with friends, or just had an annoying phonecall to some company. And I agree, that for homelistening concept albums/compilations can be very interesting and enjoyable.

When I go to a party, I want to dance, loose myself in the music, overcome the ego and stop thinking. Psychedelic Trance has for me always been Party music and imo the most important thing about it is, that it get's people danceing and reach a state of egoloss and "no mind". Imo concept albums don't fit with that at all, because they involve very much mind when being created. If something is really well thought out, there will be people trying to understand it and that contradicts imo the meaning of psytrance, which I think is not about being understood, but about feeling and overcomeing ego&mind. And very rarely that is my intention when I listen to music at home.

Again: Homelistening and Party are two completely different cups of tea for me.

That's why I entirely disagree with the idea that psy trance should be more orientated to homelistening. Imo it kills the idea and the spirit of the music. Psychedelic trance is dancefloor music, that's where it comes from and that is where it belongs. I think it is very bad for the quality of the music, when people try to produce stuff, which works on the dancefloor and also is nice to listen to at home. Come on, the only reason to promote this, is because of CD sales. Otherwise what the f*ck. Make music to listen to at home, or make music that makes people dance like crazy and overcome their ego.

I also disagree with the statement, that music that sounds good at home also sounds good at a party or vice versa. There is lot's of music which I like to listen to at home, but which doesn't get me dance all night. Then there are many tracks, that I find "kick ass" at a party, but I can hardly ever listen to them at home, because they are just too much.

:)

I completely see your point. But just because an album is made as an concept album this doesn't mean it is only for homelistening and thinking. If it is really a good album it should be possible to play a track out of it at a party and people going mad and dancing to it like crazy. Without knowing the concept of the album and what the tracks wants so say. Maybe if they know the concept they will feel the vibe and what the artist wanted to say with it (or even they can even feel it without knowing).

But just because an album is made as an concept album this doesn't mean it is only for homelistening and thinking.If it is really a good album it should be possible to play a track out of it at a party and people going mad and dancing to it like crazy.

That is true. The only thing is, that I believe, that by thinking something out very much, it becomes constructed in a way and that the creative flow while producing gets disturbed by that. The music will become more like thinking music, which imo is not suitable for the dancefloor. :)

That can be true. But I think if the track is really good it can be felt without thinking.

That's why I entirely disagree with the idea that psy trance should be more orientated to homelistening. Imo it kills the idea and the spirit of the music. Psychedelic trance is dancefloor music, that's where it comes from and that is where it belongs. I think it is very bad for the quality of the music, when people try to produce stuff, which works on the dancefloor and also is nice to listen to at home. Come on, the only reason to promote this, is because of CD sales. Otherwise what the f*ck. Make music to listen to at home, or make music that makes people dance like crazy and overcome their ego.

I'm sure there's space for both kinds of music, that is if you feel there should be a division such as that.

I also disagree with the statement, that music that sounds good at home also sounds good at a party or vice versa. There is lot's of music which I like to listen to at home, but which doesn't get me dance all night. Then there are many tracks, that I find "kick ass" at a party, but I can hardly ever listen to them at home, because they are just too much.

What's important here is that that is your personal opinion, not an absolute fact. For me it simply isn't like that. :)

Your thoughts?

200407[/snapback]

Hey dude!

Here are my thoughts:

1) There is many concept Cd'coming out...maybe U not looking at the right places. Most of them are not available on the mainstream distribution system for many reasons: small quantities/no distributors interest/too expensive... but still they are out there...

2) A concept CD is everything but dictating an artist to do 1 specific style/genre. It's a very personnal choice most of the time..far from commercial themes/genre/fashion of the moment. Either from the label or the artist himself. In any case should it be a directed work.

That's about it. Now i'm gonna turn on PROMO MODE:

Look at our first release, 100% concept CD about exploring the psychedelic range of psytrance with 1 common point, the BPM being around the same in each tracks.

And now PROMO MODE is OFF :D

And last, but not least, I believe each project, each artist is a concept by itself... no matter genre/style.

Take care.

Boom !

Emmanuel

http://www.nabi-records.com

email: contact@nabi-records.com

Now i'm gonna turn on PROMO MODE:

Look at our first release, 100% concept CD about exploring the psychedelic range of psytrance with 1 common point, the BPM being around the same in each tracks.

And now PROMO MODE is OFF  :D

And last, but not least, I believe each project, each artist is a concept by itself... no

200506[/snapback]

I don't think that a CD with slightly different BPM fits in the category of concept CDs. Not in my world anyway :) I agree that each project is a concept by itself to some extent. Altho, I don't like to call all the GMS/Astrix/whatever-crap-clones to have a concept of their own.

I haven't found many cocept CDs and I am looking. With concept I mean the sound and not BPM, track-names (like 1200 Mics). 'Shpongle - The Remixes' is another good concept CD :) I wish the labels could put more effort when they are compiling compilations.

I'm sure there's space for both kinds of music, that is if you feel there should be a division such as that.

I never said, that there isn't. I think it is very importand that there is both kinds of music, the one that is good for homelistening and the one that is good for dancing and I don't think it is a good idea to mix these two different styles together in one track, or do some kind of compromise.

What's important here is that that is your personal opinion, not an absolute fact. For me it simply isn't like that. :)

200493[/snapback]

I am sorry, when it seemed to you as if I was stating an "absolute fact", I had actually put an effort to write "I think" , "imo"... but maybe not enough.

the music that I've enjoyed most at a party would probably be Hallucinogen live and Ra live, in other words the very same stuff I'd play at home. Let it be said that I haven't been in psy-parties that many times because there simply isn't artists that I like coming this way that often

Well, it seems, that we have completely different approaches to and different experiences with psychedelic trance music. As I wrote before, for me it has always been dancefloormusic and that's where I listened to most of the psy trance music I heared. I have been travelling and going to psy partys in different countries for many years now.

You seem to be listening to psy mainly at home and the times that you enjoyed most on the dancefloor was live acts playing, which I personally don't like, because of the "stage effect".

Maybe if you had spent more time dancing to psy trance on partys, you would understand my position better, or even agree.

I just wonder which are your favourite psy artists or songs? We also have a very diffenrent view about the psy home listening topic (which is of course not negative!! :) ) and so I'm quite curious about what you like. I personaly like everything full-on and/or melodic. Old stuff like Hallucinogen or Pleiadians but also new stuff like Infected Mushroom, full-on from the Agitato label, Vibe Tribe and so on.

Hi Tatsu, seems we also have a different taste in music, at least concerning psy trance.

I don't like full on at all, for me it's like pop music, just that not so many people know it. I like some melodies, but not really melodic tracks.

What I like to hear on the dancefloor is stuff like Gregh on Earth, Xenomorph, Droid Sect, Datacult, Derango, Spindrift, Sienis, Penta.... there is more, but that's what comes to mind now. In the late morning and day time I enjoy finnish sounds, which are actually also very good at home.