LANI our way to the sun

nervgaz

Hey!! Melodic Trance lover's.

Have you tried this one: LANI our way to the sun. I listen it as a guest on Saikosounds and I discover this FUCKING good album !!

Give it a try, if you love melodie and keyboard sounds, this is for you...

One of the best album of the years, along with Synsun symphonic adventure....

This is a great discovery....

:ph34r: Nervgaz

I already wrote something on general... I would say use the search engine... cause I have no idea how to create a link... :D

still I understand your feeling... same for me friend ;)

Posted Image

1. Iry's Incantation

2. Indian

3. Skycontact

4. El Paso

5. Part Of A Design

6. Our Way To The Sun

7. Over The Moon

8. Ephedra

YAY finally an album released by Belgian artists!! For some odd reason, even though Belgium was the world capital of industrial which was the main inspirer of goatrance and that most early goa albums were released on Belgian record lables, and that Front 242 has remixed Juno Reactor quite often... we've NEVER had a proper psytrance act!!

Lani would be the first... if it weren't for Concentrix who released an album last year. But I found that one fogettable so could Lani finally be THE first well-known Belgian psy artist?

hmmm... well as the name sugests, this album is on the morning side... but it gets WAY too cheezy... Iry's Incantation , Indian , El Paso , Our Way to the Sun and Ephedra actually sound like music from some 80s NES game! I'd easily imagine this kind of music playing in the background of some commercial on Slimweight 4000 or something...

Luckily enough there are 3 more serious tracks on the album: Part of a Design which still sounds cheezy but at least is on a bearable level of cheziness IMO. And Skynet which has some interesting guitar samples in it. Still, I wouldn't consider those tracks as something exceptional either... Over the Moon is my fave track on this album, it could actually be used in a morning set IMO but still it's cheezy as hell...

Conclusion AFAIK, in all the history of psytrance, there are only 2 full albums out there by Belgian artists: the Concentrix album and this one... but both of them are average to downright awfull IMO. That's why I'm STILL waiting for a proper Belgian psy act...

sorry guys... 6/10

maybe next time around they'll do better...

Ah I can already hear you say "but if this is so bad, why a 6/10??". Here's why: it's NOT your cookie-cutter full-on so it does win points for originality. And I guess that if you're REALLY high at a party in the morning then hearing such fluffy sounds WILL bring a smile on your face. And last of all, these guys are from Belgium!! Belgian artists deserve some encouragement ;)

to Lemmiwinks:

one thing your right about... the concentrix album realy sucked... still I liked his dj sets a lot... lani is maybe to cheesy for you and I can't blame you but in a way you can't deny that lani has created a very original and typical sound... proud to be as an belgium act... but that is what you are saying at the end of your reply... I just hope that lani is a start for our own belgium goa scene and has a got lot's of successor... B)

You guys are forgetting about the Psybration series (ok, it's not a belgian act but they compilation is made in belgium!)

Sanka is another belgian artist that released a few tracks a long time ago, but we never heard much from him the past few years...

And does anyone here remember the Senseblender label? to bad they where ahead of their time and lost a shitload of money, i doubt we'll ever hear from them again...

and within a few weeks another release will be done by a 50% belgian label ;) Of a Swedish artist though (simply because there is not yet enough good material available in Belgium yet... :s but we have some promising artists I think, maybe in the future...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got and listened to this whole album. I like every track here, no bad tracks. I mean, its a melodic trance album, whats the problem? Here's what I have to say... :)

First off, I really like the first two tracks, track 4 has a nice guitar sound, and track 7 is really cool too, which is titled, Over the Moon. Some of the tunes are just so addictively catchy and positive sounding. I like that. Its a nice escape from all the recent twisted, dark stuff that keeps coming out.

I really like melodic songs that are catchy, layers and layers of catchy melodies, with rhythm and lots of changes. I like all sorts of psytrance actually, except for minimal, which this is NOT obviously. And for the record, I hate minimal.

I believe all of the songs develop at least several more layers of sounds after the first several minutes. In other words, at least for me, they improve the more into the song they get. The songs change direction, or rather, they are not repetitive (Although the album sticks to its melodic style) and minutes into most of the songs, their sounds become more blending, creating some really nice rhythms. This album in general is just so melodic and upbeat, uplifting, nice, and pleasent. The tunes, and melodies sweet. This album reminds me a little bit of those more emotional, it reminds me a bit of the melodic trance songs the EMUNA album (emotional trance) released several years back, but LANI has its own style, sound, and direction.

Anyway, someone said this album has some cheesy songs, like fluffy. Does fluffy mean soft or cheesy and what is your definition of cheesy or fluff? Now I've heard people use that word with some of California Sunshines songs, and I realize that morning trance doesn't mean cheesy.. but what do you mean when you say cheesy??? ... Because just because something is uplifting, positive and nice sounding does not mean its cheesy, ya know? Can someone explain this? I like this album and I think its cool to still have artists creating uplifting melodic songs that do NOT fit into the club-trance genra, even though they can be played in clubs if you know what I mean.

I recently got this album along with Yspilon 5, and this really is very well done for melodic trance fans! I do feel that certain tracks are more emotional sounding and I really like that, just like many melodic songs I've heard this year from Electronic Universe, Synsun, Blue Vortex and Emuna. So if you like those, I suggest at least checking out some samples of this new album to see if its worth getting.

So the album is nothing ground breaking but it is something really nice, especially for those into melodic, upbeat trance / melodic psytrance. But this very melodic, album with some really catchy songs is nothing less than a B- out of A or a 7.9 out of 10 for what it is. This is a melodic trance album with lots of nice tunes and well composed composition, mixing, and direction. :rolleyes:

but what do you mean when you say cheesy???

well if you bothered to read my review until the end you would've seen what I mean when I say cheezy:

" but it gets WAY too cheezy... Iry's Incantation , Indian , El Paso , Our Way to the Sun and Ephedra actually sound like music from some 80s NES game! I'd easily imagine this kind of music playing in the background of some commercial on Slimweight 4000 or something... "

Just like you, I love morning trance, I love AP, CS and even Yahel's first 2 albums. Some say those are cheeze, but I like it. However THIS particular album sounds more like background music you hear in commercials... this the kind of cheeze I DON'T like.

But to each their own, hey I'm happy someone liked their album :)

BTW

Its a nice escape from all the recent twisted, dark stuff that keeps coming out.

have you been living in a cave and still think it's 2001? Minimal has been long dead and now all you can hear is uplifting stuff... Ever tried Melicia, Nissymiani, Dynamic, Eskimo and the other 1001 israeli clones?

" but it gets WAY too cheezy... Iry's Incantation , Indian , El Paso , Our Way to the Sun and Ephedra actually sound like music from some 80s NES game! I'd easily imagine this kind of music playing in the background of some commercial on Slimweight 4000 or something... "

lol... okay, okay. You're being funny but serious. Well the thought hadn't crossed my mind of a slimweight 4000 commercial or something, but the thought of LANI's music sounding like its from some Nintendo game is kind of cool, for about five seconds. But really, "old-school" did cross my mind when hearing this. Maybe you're right. I'll have to hear it again.

Just like you, I love morning trance, I love AP, CS and even Yahel's first 2 albums. Some say those are cheeze, but I like it. However THIS particular album sounds more like background music you hear in commercials... this the kind of cheeze I DON'T like.

201153[/snapback]

Yeah, I love AP and really like Yahel's first two albums too. I couldn't imagine this music, I mean this Lani album... being played at some big party because it sounds too nice if that makes any sense, but I guess there's a part of me that kind of likes 80's Nintendo music. lol.

Yeah, there is one or two other albums that came out this year which instantly reminded me of Nintendo music. Actually I could have sweared that some of the tunes were taken from that old futuristic racing game F-Zero on the super NES. I forget the albums but I think the reason why I like this album is because it has a nostalgic sound to it... but I now see what you mean by cheese.

But like you said, NES music. I really did laugh out loud, no bullshit.

I still can't get over that. Its just too funny! Poor Lani. If he knew people were saying his stuff sounded like old Nintendo music he'd probably jump off a cliff or drown himself in the bath tub, depending on which environment the man is in.

BTW

have you been living in a cave and still think it's 2001?

201154[/snapback]

Yeah thats it. :D

;)

201192[/snapback]

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Sanka is another belgian artist that released a few tracks a long time ago, but we never heard much from him the past few years...

199260[/snapback]

I gues you haven't been listening, Rik.

I'm still here: www.sanka.be

...and I will be for some time, new tracks and new site coming up

guess if this had been released before the millennium the Israelis would have called it nitzhonot.

202830[/snapback]

sorry but don't share your opinion at all... it's not because something is cheezy that it's nithozonot... the bass line is totally different and the sounds are more goa minded then ever... I think if you study the typical elements of nithzonot you will see that almost none of them are present with the lani release even before the millenium...

still respecting your opinion you've got the right to say what you expirience just like I do ;) ...

PEACE :D

Lani REALLY shows us a way to the sun...!!!

:D:D

Really liked the album at first listen, but some tracks just kept growing on me.

Especially iry's incantation.

Very positive energy, beautifully composed.

Production could be better

but to me the meldoies don't seem cheesy.

And the sound & flow of lani puts me in a good mood.

So my personal recommendation for this one if u'r into melodic grooves.

• 2 months later...

Oooooh WOW WO woW!

I'm now listening to track 2 only and must say that along with X-Dream's new album this the absolutely greatest new trance release I've heard in ages?

Some complain about the commodore-ish 80s vibes, I happen to love these modulations and melodies to death :D:D

Ooh crap, this is good!

This doesn't really imitate anything and has a sound if it's own, which is a really big step for melodic trance. Often so called "oldschool goa" is just manneristic plagiarization of old sounds that never quite get it right, this is just purely enjoyable sunny happy sound of it's own!

(and just in comparision, I thought that both Synsun's and Talpa's albums were rather mediocre after all...)

The only gripe about this one is the a bit too 90s detuned saw leads, I happen to despise those.

But otherwise this is just brilliant!

Npt for cynics.

Recommended for those of pure soul!

• 2 weeks later...