3. Circles

4. Computer Disorder

5. Who Stole My Oscillator

6. Monday Star

7. What The Fuzz

8. Twister

9. Crank Up

10. Lo-Fi Adventures

Like it or like it not, it seems that the veins minimal tech/tech-house/electro-house are becoming more and more an integral part of the psy scene. Lots of influential psy artists (Son Kite/Minilogue, Ticon, D-Nox & Beckers, The Delta/Extrawelt, BLT/Perfect Stranger etc) have either set up new projects dedicated to the genres or have started incorporating it into their own music, whilst big psy festivals such as Boom and Universo Paralello have recently started up ´alternative´stages also dedicated to pumping out these styles. I´m not really complaining though, as I´m a strong believer that music should be continuously evolving rather than getting stuck with the same formula for years on end, and because I'm particularly enjoying these crossovers that are coming out at the moment: I find them generally on the whole, to either be much more psychedelic that 90% of the full on that´s coming out at the same time and if they're not psychedelic then there's a high chance they will make me want to dance a hell of a lot more than 90% of full on too.

Tegma are the next group to jump on this bandwagon. Whilst the album is still mainly based around the progressive roots of Tegma, it has a much more techy, mechanical feel to it than its predecessors, incorporating elements of minimal, house and electro. Do they do this well? Yes. Do they do it as well as some of the other psy artists who have also taken this direction (listed above)? No. Is it as good as their last two albums? No, definately not. But that´s not to say this is a bad album, it´s just that it´s pretty damn difficult to top a) the music that artists such as the ones above have lately been putting out and B ) Tegma´s previous efforts, Around the World in 80 Minutes and Encoded/Decoded, both which are amongst my all time favourite prog albums.

Don´t get me wrong, there are some absolutely great tunes on here. East Block, for example, starts off with some driving, chunky minimal tech before sliding effortlessly into pounding progressive trance. Computer Disorder, Who stole my Oscillator and Monday Star all prove that Tegma are capable of writing the incredibly hypnotic music that they´re famous for (although not quite as well as before). Crank It Up on the other hand, whilst being a liiittle cheesy, will certainly tear any dancefloor to pieces.

But, whilst this album is certainly good, one can´t help feeling slightly disappointed given the strength of Tegma´s last releases. It would definately be very nice to hear this on a dancefloor (lot´s and lot´s of deep, heavy energy present here), but it´s no way NEAR as psychedelic as their previous efforts and really lacks the magic of the Around the World in 80 Days and Encoded/Decoded. But then again, I am kind of glad that Tegma did take their music in a new direction rather than just re-releasing a tried and tested formula as so many artists do. It´s just a shame it didn´t quite come out right.

Score 7/10

Nice review :)

I must say that after repeated listenings over the weekend I have no doubt this album will be among my favorites this year.

I simply just love it and find it WAAAAAY better than Ticon's attempt on the same genre and harder than D-nox & Beckers.

And I wouldn't compare it with Son Kite's Colours.

But will fill in a full review when I'm less over eagerly breathtakingly excited ... :ph34r:

As noted elsewhere much to some hippies’ regret it seems progressive trance artists are venturing ever more often into electro house territories these days. Call me too broadminded but I take no issues with that. Hell, if progressive trance used to be all about dancing with a psychedelic edge Lo-Fi Adventures lacks nothing in danceability or tripability!

Right from opening track In All Ears I get the idea this is a kind of music that would be just perfect at an all-inclusive, no-boundaries, kick-ass, underground party in Monaco! This is extremely pleasant to listen to, yes, but never crossing over to the cheesy side. The cutting edge production obviously lends a big hand in creating this impression but if I am taken aback for a second by the sheer sound picture the melodies will pull me right back on track. Think Ticon 2am "Spitfire" ballsines Lo-Fi Adventures, for me, sets the pace for contemporary progressive psychedelic trance.

If this album does not end among my favorites for the year 2008 is setting out to be a great year!

Favourites? Look, they’re all good but twist my arm, kick me in the nuts and spit me in the eyes and I’ll choose In All Ears, East Block and Monday Star as my companionship. They’ll set you dancing, they’ll set you bouncing and, motherfucking unquestionably so, they’ll have you tripping! An easy 5/5.

It didn't help waiting ... :ph34r: I am still in luv :wub:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a fine release by Tegma. Different from their previous efforts, as has already been pointed out. I don't mind if it is less 'psychedelic'; the full-on aficionados would do best to give this one a miss.

Often cross-over efforts can fall a bit flat, but I think this one is good fun.

I agree with the comment about the Ticon comparison. I loathed Ticon's last effort. This one is a lot more interesting. There are one or two weaker tracks (like Crank it up), but on the whole there is plenty to smile about.

One of the better release so far this year.

Recommended.

Pedro

• 8 months later...

Not a bad album. :)

My favorites are Circles, Computer Disorder, What the Fuzz, and Lo-Fi Adventures.

Usually I don't like progressive trance too much but this album definitely was a great listen.

• 10 months later...