Post a short review

Dolmot

Weird. I just tried the search and it worked fine for me.

Indeed, cause I found the general topics about the album, the promo topics but not the review.

So the search did work.

I'm totally sober btw, well it can happen :) , I moved my info where it belongs, so everything's good.

I can't believe how good the new Beat Bizarre album is ("Mukharv") - maybe my favorite progressive album ever - def right up near the top! I'd post a review but dunno how to do the GIF's and such

It's sort of in the Atmos - "Headcleaner" style where the emphasis is on mesmerizing/entrancing the listener. It's even more hypnotic than "Headcleaner" though - never thought I'd say that about an album..

The tracks are long and the loops are played for quite awhile - he builds in layers in such a killer way - hard to describe, I'm not really good at reviews. I do know there is so much intelligence, creativity, and psychedelic in this music though. No bad tracks, each one is a rich journey. I love how fat and groovy the beats and rhythms are also - this would work great on the dancefloor and for home listening it just doesn't get any better than this if you're into some seriously mind-melting trance music. I've listened to these tracks numerous times now and they get better each time I do - some albums sound great at first play but don't have the substance to last - this one though is like a fine wine..

I can't believe how good the new Beat Bizarre album is ("Mukharv") - maybe my favorite progressive album ever - def right up near the top!

Based on samples, sounds good. Also sounds like good old BB. Seems like his average BPM decreases by one every year, but the sexy grooves and analogue sounds are still there. Extra points for limited spectrum work and avoiding the official triple cheese chord almost synonymous with this "progressive" thing. Unfortunately the chances of actual release are slim so probably I won't be getting it.

Anyway, I received a largish bunch of goodies in December. It was a bad month with too much work and too little time for music, but let's give a few first impressions in spirit of this thread. The order is pseudo-random, based on my playlist, which is based on the order of ripping/downloading. Here's my odd pile of up- and downbeats, old and new...

Jikooha - Sirius Rising (Panorama, 2012, Discogs)

Cool, driving goa mostly in low 140s. Plenty of resonating synths with and without distortion. It's not similarly melodic like a lot of new-school (that is, picking a sample and using it as-is for a loud three-note melody). Instead, there's bold knob tweaking and experimental synth work. The rhythms are varied and don't rely solely on huge, punctual 4/4 kicks. Some of the tracks go a bit into WTF directions at around five minutes, but it's fresh and exciting in any case. Try it.

Etnica - Live in Athens (DAT, 2012, Discogs)

OK, I don't have to describe the most legendary goa act out there. We're lucky to get this juicy double CD finally released. The first disc is a clandestinely recorded live gig from the golden years. You may have heard most of the "standard" versions of these tunes, but each live take is significantly different and interesting. Relentless 10 minute versions of classics in their full analogue splendour? Yes please. Disc 2 is full of unreleased tracks, some of which have been heard as dodgy bootleg files. Well worth a legit release too. To be honest, I find it difficult to give an objective verdict of this due to the overwhelming nostalgic value. It's already a good enough reason to get this ASAP. It can hardly disappoint an oldschool fan.

The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms (Virgin, 1994, Discogs)

Yes, really. I only got a real copy of this a few weeks ago. Really. I guess living in the middle of nowhere in pre-www days was a limiting factor for acquiring it in 1994. This is not trance. FSOL was a big thing in the 90s, a bit like Prodigy but not quite. Heck, it was released by Virgin. Underground electronics that refused to stay underground. Lifeforms is among FSOL's best works. It's two discs of weird downtempo, X-bient, IDM and whatever. At one point it's floaty ambient. A few minutes later it's dystopian trip-hop. And so on. If you believe that weird and unusual automatically implies genius and brilliant then this surely is. Even if you don't, it's interesting and varied. Get this one too if you don't happen to have it already.

Voxel9 - Beyond (Ovnimoon, 2012, Discogs)

Voxel9 aka Trinodia delivers a continuous CD of drone and broken downbeats steadily at 100 BPM. "Beyond" is nominally split into three parts but in reality you won't find any borders at those points. It builds gradually over the whole duration, so what you get is one 64 minute track and then 11 minutes of extra drones. Absolutely no dramatic changes take place. This reminds me of stuff like Juno Reactor - Luciana or Troum & All Sides - Shutûn. Let's say it would make a great soundtrack for a cyberpunk game where you equip robots in a tech room. Yeah, that's how it sounds like. I had a lot of fun listening to it while coding and imagining I'm some sort of matrix cyber ninja in sunglasses. Don't buy it if you want something to happen in your music in less than 60 minutes.

Woob - Woob 1194 (em:t, 1994, Discogs)

A lucky find in a second hand store, original em:t version and all. Those fetch more than 50e, easily. Em:t was a legendary label releasing chillout and ambient with animal covers. I guess it's the "legendary" keyword here which boosts the prices and critical acclaim. 1194 is a fine bundle of jolly downbeats, dub, ambient, drone, acoustic tunes and weirdness. Treat it like Lifeforms above. This surely was listened a lot in the 90s, drugged or not. Well worth trying, debatable whether worth 50e+. Good and varied chillout anyway. And penguins are fun.

Hibernation - Second Nature (Interchill, 2012, Discogs)

Seb "Shakta" Taylor produces chillout and releases it on Interchill. It shouldn't go wrong and it doesn't. It has jazz joint beats, electronics, acoustics and anything but dull 4/4 flat beats. It also has dubstep influences which is shite but tolerable in small doses. Get it if you want other kinds of chillout than beatless ambient or trance tracks slowed down to 80-120 bpm.

Alright, I'll take a break here to avoid both tl;dr and losing this post to crashes. Part 2 coming some time soon(ish).

Hibernation - Second Nature (Interchill, 2012, Discogs)

Seb "Shakta" Taylor produces chillout and releases it on Interchill. It shouldn't go wrong and it doesn't. It has jazz joint beats, electronics, acoustics and anything but dull 4/4 flat beats. It also has dubstep influences which is shite but tolerable in small doses. Get it if you want other kinds of chillout than beatless ambient or trance tracks slowed down to 80-120 bpm.

Interesting!

Interesting!

If you've missed the previous Kaya Project releases, check them too.

I was wondering, what's the difference between that and Hibernation. Fortunately Interchill site told me that "with a number of different projects to his name Seb likes to keep them stylistically distinct and Hibernation is devoted to a more electronic realm than Kaya Project, which features live instrumentation from around the world. Hibernation, as the name suggests, heads inwards and locks onto micro edits, quirky samples, glitches and hyper-fine details."

OK.

• 6 months later...

hey guys

i post this in this topic

i have not found a review of the album ACID WALTZ from PARA HALU.

I randomly listened to this track today

I find it so interesting! that's so much better than many darkpsy around, isn't it ?

anyone got the full album ?

made me interested!

Fobi - Funky Fragmented Frequencies (buy it here): excellent gimmick-free darkpsy like they used to make before high-tech and psycore became trendy. The only weak point is the bizarre choice of samples.

• 2 weeks later...

Two albums I've enjoyed over the last few months:

JBC Arkadii - Sounds From Tomorrow (Sita Records, April 2013)

http://www.discogs.com/JBC-Arkadii-Sounds-From-Tomorrow/release/4511562

http://beatspacesita.bandcamp.com/album/jbc-arkadii-sounds-from-tomorrow-sita-records

and

VA - Wicked Gail's Trail (Forestdelic Records, April 2013)

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Wicked-Gails-Trail/release/4557854

http://forestdelic.bandcamp.com/album/va-wicked-gails-trail