I HATE COMPUTERS!!! ARGHH!! Please help someone..

Guest trancer

I hate computers so much...i have great equipment:

Waldorf Q

Roland JP-8000

Doepfer A-100 Modular System

Roland Alpha Juno-1

Roland MC-202

Sampler Akai S-2000

Korg Prophecy

Some shitty FX

Mackie 32/8

+ some incoming synths..

But i have A BIIIIG Problem...I can't get my Computer to work with Midi.. I have a PC 1.7 GHZ but when i was going to put my new soundcard in (Audiophile 24/96 or something like that) it was a conflict in the system... My old soundcard was on the mothershipcard so the whole computer crashed...Now my friend have managed to fix my computer but i am running my old soundcard, so no midi here...

I have also a Mac. I bought it used and it crashed (how can a Mac crash????)..Anyway i don't even have an OS and I don't know anyone that got programs for Mac so i guess i have to bye the shit..My Mac is only A G3..is it enough to make music on it or should I buy a G4? (don't laugh please, i suck on computers). i have a Lacie Cd-Burner and a 17' monitor so if i am going to buy something it's only the computer...So what should i do??

I have loads of good programs for my PC ( but i am using my PC for other stuff aswell, like surfing, Watching movies, writing, games and so on). Should i do something with my PC ( the soundcard) or buy a new Mac or keep my old mac and buy Programs?? (anyone want to copy me some programs?? i will pay..)..

btw: My old Mac is only for music...any help here appriciated..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elysium Project

A G3 should be ok as long as you dont use if with too many softsynths ect.

If you want to make use of audio I suggest you buy a G4.

When a Mac crashes it's because there's a plugin conflict normally caused by athird part plugin that's dodgy!

On the new Linux based system X there's no crash problems. If a problem happens only the program will close down not the whole system - Now let me see a PC do that! :-)

By the way Mac has tons of software (Adobe, Macromedia, Microsoft Office X, all known audio sequencer programs ect and yes you do need to buy your software!) - all the same titles as a PC (except for games). Notice that mac was build for the graphic design and music industry and that many of teh big software titles like Adobe, macromedia ect. was developed for Mac before they reached teh PC platform years later!

Guest Full Lotus

On your PC, disable your on-board sound card within the BIOS. If that doesn't work, you may want to try putting the other sound card on a different IRQ setting. What OS are you running?? Win98/Me or 2000? I would suggest win2000 as it is more stable than 98/Me and alot of the newer version of programs do work on it, as do games. Good Luck!!

Guest trancer

i don't use any softsynths ( i think they suck)..oh yes perhps rebirth but nothing else...anyway i want to, i don't know how you call it in english but i think the word is "Harddiscrecording" in the computer so you can tweak the stuff and record into Audio...First you play all the melodies in midi then fix everything and then you tweak it and record it in the computer...hope i made my self clear..

is the macG3 enough for that???

To full lotus: we have tried to that thing in the Bios but it doesn't work... if i am going to use my Pc i guess i have to take it to the store that i bought it from and ask them to disactivate the old soundcard...anyway i think i will stay with my mac since i will only make music on it...btw i have the 2000 preoffesional

PZ

Guest idoru

ok first things first:

do not waste your money on a mac.

they are no longer that much better for music than a pc. its a myth propogated by mac users. as of 2 or 3 years ago pcs are almost as good and twice as inexpensice...with tons more available software.

and macs crash all the time, all by themselves without the help of third party plug ins. i dont know why people think macs dont crash. they crash.... a lot. and when they do..they really crash, causing a total lockup which requires the machine to be unpluged from the powersource.

yes...macs are a little better for music still....but not so much better to justify the price difference and limited software.

it may be that you can not do anything about your soundcard if its integrated with your motherboard (you may be able to bypass it in bios..but i wouldnt count on it). your best bet is to (and i know this is not a good option) buy a new computer. if you are willing to spend money for a new mac.... you can get a new pc thats better and a lot cheaper...plus you already have all the software for pc.

please...im not saying pcs are better than macs or anything...i dont want to start a war here. when i say you can get a pc thats better...i mean for the same price or less than you would spend on the mac. im just saying that in your position, getting a mac is not the best way to go.

Guest Elysium Project

idoru get your facts straight...that's totally bull!

Mac's crash a lot less (and almost never with MAC OS X) than even the best PC's - that's a fact from someone that have worked on both platforms for 10 years! I have never seen a "Blue screen crash" on a Mac but seen it many many times on a PC (I have worked with many super PC systems)!

The software issue is a myth started by PC users... Mac's have just as much software as PC's! Most professional music software is developed for Mac first (except for kid's programs such as fruity and reason).

The speed issue is also a myth started by PC user's (or should we say Dell and Bill Gates?)...you cant compare megahertz since mac's use it very different form PC's! - The fastest G4 is way faster than the PC's in the same price range! It's also got to do with how the computer use it's CPU with programs! And the Mac's that have twin CPU's (1.2 mac ghz per CPU) for super performance (big industry graphics) - here PC's cant compete!

PC's do not also make the first time users plug in and start surfing after half an hour ! PC's do not make it possible for people to start making their own DVD's straight away without buying extra equipment...do I need to go on?

I do not see it as a waste of money to buy a Mac.... I do see it as a waste of money to make Bill gates richer from his crap software and to support a PC industry that sell utterly crap components to people with no knowledge!

Guest trancer

scop: is it midi on them? i need midi so i can fix the melodies and so on... i have always dreamed off a machine where it's only midi and nothing else..no stupid dll files and so on..

Guest Lifeform

"On the new Linux based system X there's no crash problems. If a problem happens only the program will close down not the whole system - Now let me see a PC do that! :-) "

Uhh... Mine does that. Not to be a bitch, but you always preach about how your mac is so good elsyium. Get off yer high horse every now and then, your not that cool.

Trancer... Why not just get a USB midi interface? Skip all that soundcard stuff, well dont skip it cause it's essential to have a low latency card. But check out some midiman midisports. I'm sure it wont have a conflict at all. Or you may want to check out MOTU USB midi interfaces if you hold a grudge against midiman.

By the way... What OS are/where you running on your PC. A 1.7 GhZ windows system will be sure to get the job. I have a 1.5 Pentium 4, XP,1024 MB of ram, and i can run 72 audio tracks at the same time. Run my usb midi interface, few reverb/delay plugs (though i do most of my processing in Wavelab 4), and Reason using ReDrum for my samples and i'm only at 20 percent CPU power. Sounds pretty solid to me... oh yeah and 3 ms latency. anndddd... every tracks got their own EQ. I skipped all that VSTi crap, and you should as well since your got a new set up of synths there. As do i, not quite as many as you, but i'm getting there ; ) Goodluck.

Guest Elysium Project

Lifeform it's nothing to do with riding high on a horse or being cool but all to do with that some PC people like to post wrong info about Mac's! It's a fact that most Mac people also work or have worked on PC's wheras PC people rarely know anything about Mac's and have certantly never used one!

I use both platforms and have nothing against PC's as such apart from the ugly hardware design and very often damn confusing file placement in windows!

trancer how much harddisk space do you got?

Guest idoru

E.P.

go take some medicatin and calm down. when youre nice and relaxed come back and re-read my post.

"idoru get your facts straight...that's totally bull!"

my facts are straight..perhaps you need to take a class in reading comprehension.

"Mac's crash a lot less (and almost never with MAC OS X) than even the best PC's - that's a fact from someone that have worked on both platforms for 10 years! I have never seen a "Blue screen crash" on a Mac but seen it many many times on a PC "

i never said anything about the frequency of crashes as compared to pcs. i said they crash all the time...and they do. pcs crash more (some of them). but dont misguide people by inaccuratly claiming that they "almost never" crash even with osx that a load of crap.

i have never seen a blue screen crash on my pc....ever. and when my comp. crashes..only that one program crashes i never have a total system lock up like you get with a mac. and besides...you get the blue screen crash because a mac doesnt crash like that..its stupid to make such a comparison. its like saying "well a cd player wont eat a cd like a tape player eats a tape" well no it wont...but a tape player wont have a bad laser that cant read the tape like a cd player can have either.

"The software issue is a myth started by PC users... Mac's have just as much software as PC's! "

you are high....they certainly do not. i never said anything about what kind of software. all i said is that pcs have more software...and they do.

"The speed issue is also a myth started by PC user's (or should we say Dell and Bill Gates?)...you cant compare megahertz since mac's use it very different form PC's! - The fastest G4 is way faster than the PC's in the same price range! "

umm.... no they arent.

an aplle dual 800 with 256 ram and 80 gig hd is 2500 dollars.

you can get a 2 ghz p4 with 256 rdram (effectively doubles ram to 512) and 60 gig hd. for less than half that.

you can not seriosly think that the cost difference is proportionate the performance difference.

"PC's do not also make the first time users plug in and start surfing after half an hour ! PC's do not make it possible for people to start making their own DVD's straight away without buying extra equipment...do I need to go on?"

yes they do....

yes they do....

and yes...you do. because your wrong.

"I do not see it as a waste of money to buy a Mac.... I do see it as a waste of money to make Bill gates richer from his crap software and to support a PC industry that sell utterly crap components to people with no knowledge!"

your right ...lets make steve jobs richer instead by buying his horendously overpiced and undersupported hardware. that really isnt any better than anything else on the market. all you die hard mac people are so brainwashed and snobbish over your cute candy collored computers its laffable.

yes..."think different" just like the rest of us...we all think sooooo diferent.

i said i didnt want to start this e.p..but of corse, naturaly you had have a snide reply...what a surprise.

i never said pcs were better..in fact i sad a mac was better. but not for trancer in this partucular instance.

the fact of the matter is:

in trancers current situation, buying a new mac is a waste of money.

go ahead trancer... if a mac is what you want by all means get one...it will be a very good computer for you. just know that you can have as good a computer for a fraction of the price, and you wont have to replace all your software to do it.

Guest trancer

lifeform: i am running win 200 proffesional...as for the mac: when i installed my midiman 2*2 that's when my mac started crashing...and i have to unplug the mac from the powersource...before i installed the shit my logic Audio Platinum worked just fine but crashed after that...i was working with a audiowerk 2 soundcard only with audio...and if you had like 2 instruments and added a third the mac said: audiowek is overloaded...anyway it's very frustating to have a studio but the midi doesn't work...

Scop: where can i find a picture of these sequencers? i have looked in the sonicstate page but couldn't find any..help me out please.

BOM!

Guest Elysium Project

I never insulted you - all i did was not agreeing with you and I said that what you said was bull not you! It's indeed a insult when you start to tell me that I am high and that i need medication!

You are indeed the one that need to calm down!

I am not going to get into how and why mac's versus pc's but I still claim that you got no clue about what you claim!

About trancer! He allready have a Mac! And all i did before you started the argument (yes you were the one startíng) was to answer some of his questions!

So who is to blaim here? Well maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and let you feed him with wrong and inaccurate info but I certantly never started this - you did!

Anyway I am damn tired of smartass americans like you in this forum that always seem to find an excuse to attack me becuse they dont understand my humor (not in this case) or way of expressing myself!

I almost never have any problems with other europeans that do understand where I am coming from and my humor! - so my suggestion is that before you tell me to lighten up - why dont you lighten up yourself?

Guest idoru

well e.p.

"You are indeed the one that need to calm down!"

if you want to be technical i suggest you go back and count up the exclemation points in my posts and compare them to the exclemation points in your posts.

then perhaps you will descover why it seems that i am calm and you are not.

you see, e.p. when you use an exclemation point it infers excitement...thats why its called an exclemation point....and you used a lot of them.

"I am not going to get into how and why mac's versus pc's but I still claim that you got no clue about what you claim!" <-- oh look theres another one.

and i claim that your claim is claimless and has no claims to back up your claim........ so childish no?

you can claim whatever you want, but the facts are on my side.

"About trancer! He allready have a Mac! And all i did before you started the argument (yes you were the one startíng) was to answer some of his questions!" <-- three more.

again...look into a reading comprehension class. this is actualy what trancer wrote:

"I have also a Mac. I bought it used and it crashed (how can a Mac crash????)..Anyway i don't even have an OS and I don't know anyone that got programs for Mac so i guess i have to bye the shit..My Mac is only A G3..is it enough to make music on it or should I buy a G4? (don't laugh please, i suck on computers). i have a Lacie Cd-Burner and a 17' monitor so if i am going to buy something it's only the computer...So what should i do??"

ill translate it for you:

he has a mac.

it doesnt work

hes thinking about purchasing a new mac.

he has no mac software and he knows no one with mac software

so the fact that he already has a mac is a moot point. hes thinking about buying a brand new mac. your statement about him already having one is irrelevent.

and i did not "start" the argument..you were the one who said my original statements were bull. in fact the are completely accurate..i have supported my claims...you have not. you can not, because you are incorrect. i noticed you did not answer my question about the 2 systems i wrote and thier releven price to performance ratio...why could that be? because im right. the mac is terribly overpriced for what you get compared to the pc.

"So who is to blaim here? Well maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and let you feed him with wrong and inaccurate info but I certantly never started this - you did!"

again...i ask you to show support of your claim that a pc of comperable performance is not less expensive than a mac.

"Anyway I am damn tired of smartass americans like you in this forum that always seem to find an excuse to attack me becuse they dont understand my humor (not in this case) or way of expressing myself! "

aaawwwww poor baby. did i hurt your feelings? and by the way..im not an "american"... im a new yorker. count yourself lucky that i dont verbaly rip you into the tiny sheds that i could. i have been overly civil in this matter. you have acted like a spoiled little brat. i did not stoop to juvenile racist comments, you did.

i dont understand your humor? as you addmitted you were not trying to be humorous...i was. my coments about the medication were a light jab at your over exuberance to point out my incorrect statements when in fact my statements were completely accurate. so dont tell me i dont get your humor.

"I almost never have any problems with other europeans that do understand where I am coming from and my humor! - so my suggestion is that before you tell me to lighten up - why dont you lighten up yourself?"

i see other europeans fighting with you on this forum all time. dont hand me that line of crap.

i dont need to lighten up..im writing this post with a smile on my face because its funny how upset you get.

and my suggestion to you is:

dont give me any suggestions.

Guest Elysium Project

In my country a exclemation point is not used in the same way as in your country! And it sure does not mean the what you seem to think it does.

This is the same story over and over again. Americans find the use of exclemation points more provocative than if someone say they are assholes! It's the other way with europeans! So you see what you think is judgmentala and provocative is in my world just another way of expressing usselves!

As far as I am concerned a New Yorker is an american - end of discussion! (see not used as a provocation or judgement- just as a statement)

The rest of your very long and rampling poist Im not even going to bother comment on!

Have a great life and try to learn other cultures ways of expressing themselves before you judge them!

Yes devil7 I said that!

Guest idoru

e.p.

"In my country a exclemation point is not used in the same way as in your country! And it sure does not mean the what you seem to think it does."

uumm... excuse me, but i thought we were speaking and writing in english...therefore what you poeple do with your language and writing has no bearing here. if you wish to use english...use it properly or dont get yer panties all in a bunch when people missunderstand you. the use of an exclemation point means excitement...i dont care where youre from...that is the sole and only purpose for it.

"As far as I am concerned a New Yorker is an american - end of discussion!"

how far you are concerened is irrelevent i am the one who lives here and i am the one who will tell you the difference.

"The rest of your very long and rampling poist Im not even going to bother comment on!"

of corse you wont..that would require you to asnwer my questions and prove me wrong...which you cant do.

"Have a great life and try to learn other cultures ways of expressing themselves before you judge them!"

and you learn how to use other peoples languages before telling them they are wrong about them.

it is not a judgement...you are using the exclemation point improperly....change that and people wont misunderstand you anymore.

Guest Elysium Project

Well maybe you are the one using the language wrong my friend :-)

I am using the language as in UK (United Kingdom) where I have lived several years (I have spoken and written it more than 28 years). Maybe you yanks need to freshen up your grammar skills again. Don't think that the American language is the only one. It isen't! the original English language is the one used in Europe and indeed in UK.

Your language is named American English (or US English) not English!

So please do not talk down to me as if I am a stupid person (or as you so nicely like to put it "juvenile") that know less than you do.

I can only laugh when you claim that a New Yorker isen't an american.

Wow what acid do you take - maybe it's time for your head examination?

By the way please rip me into the tiny sheds verbally. I really do not care. I am so sacred of you the big big American strong boy!

Anyway I am not going to waste my time on you anymore. You are not worth it! - have a great life in your little superior world!

Guest trancer

hm..to who should i listen here? you guys have made me even more confused...

one question to Elysium: is my mac G3 enough? should i buy programs to the G3? or buy a new G4 and programs for it?

to idoru: what PC do you recommend?

BOM!

Guest Elysium Project

trancer if you want to use a Mac (which I recommend for many reasons - email me if you want them - I dont want to use more time on Mr. "Know It all") I strongly suggest you buy a G4 if you want to use harddisk recording and softsynths/sampling. Your G3 does first of all not have enough harddisk space for harddisk reording/audio file use (you could always buy an extrenal harddisk) but the main thing is that you need a more powerful processor and the possibility to use more Ram (1.5 gigabyte on the latest G4).

If you just want your computer to control the MIDI and the sequencer program(s) then your G3 is more than enough.

Guest Elysium Project

About programs it's the same for a mac as a PC (in my opinion). You need to buy them. You can always find them hacked but I do not recommend it. I am not for stealing software and I also do find it much more rewarding and satisfing to have a"real" program with all the support and extra stuff.

You say you are using Logic? Well that should work fine :-).

For MIDI I suggest you try out Emagic's USB or Firewire MIDI unit's.

Emagic has also released a very cool softsampler...

Check it out on:

www.emagic.de

ok trancer...

please bear in mind that i am only suggesting a pc to save you money. if money was no object...id say get the mac. it is a little better.

what kind of computer?

thats not as easily answered as it would be for a mac. there are many many configurations.

the best thing to do is figure out exactly what you want and need...and either get a costom one...or buy one as close to perfect as you can and costomize it yourself. (easier than it sounds)

one thing about macs is they are easier to to get exactly what you want right in the beginning. you can do it with a pc, it just takes a litle more research and legwork...and it will cost less money.

also if you dont already know how to use a mac...and you do know how to use a pc...the mac is confusing (its not that its bad confusing..im not saying that its a poor osits a good os...im saying if youre used to a pc only..macs are confusing)