reason......

Guest PROSECT

first of all buy yourself a good pro soundcard, monitors and some hardware stuff... then think about soft (u can get it not for money also...)

Guest lifeform

get a real sequencer first (cubase, logic, performer) whatever... and then get reason and use it as a tone generator. reason can do some cool stuff and you can use alot of what inside if you got aot of processor power. the thign that pisses me off is that i was thinking i could make some cool basslines with it, but i can not seem to get the 303 bassline down right.. i dont know why, maybe it's just me. good purchase though, i think.. buy recycle if you get that too.

And i believe you mean reason is 1/3 the way towards a XT... not XTK... unless you have some nice hooks ups in which i would like to enjoy as well?

well i know of one guy who uses reason for the final production and his stuff is

as good as any using cubase which is alot more expensive....

i presently go between reason and cubase and like both but find reason

alot better for it's dollar value (if paid for) :)....... but then the only problem is it's lack of extras vst etc....

thnx guys, ill keep thinking about this. i really do not have much money. im only even thinking about this because i have an itch to scratch in the way of getting something new. i surely dont have money for a new soundcard and monitors...besides i live in an apartment and i only ever work on my music late at night, so im stuck using headphones (i know i know..bad). i was thinking about going hardware...like i said the xtk or maybe a virus. its just that reason looks like it packs a crapload of useful stuff into the 300 bucks. im just wondering if its a better value for the price than an xtk or virus.

i feel like even if i get reason ill get a synth eventualy anyway...so would i be wasting the money on reason?

and lifeform, i meant that its 1/3 the way to an xtk....a used xtk. but i dont care if its used or new, as long as it works.

Guest Elysium Project

to mk:

sorry but there's no way that reason will sound as good as a real studio! Your friend may be able to produce a ok sound quality !

I am not cristising his music (how can I when I don't know it) but I am critising the idea you have that he can produce just as good a sound quality as a professional studio........he will never be able to do that with reason !

Reason can be a lot of fun and somehow "educating" for people that are starting out - eventhough I think it's better for them to start with the more difficault programs if they can afford it. After all if they are serious about making music they will soon or later end up using those programs anyway.

Guest Slidingtrancer

Elysium is the elitist of hardware and software, ever considered working for Roland or something? You can't make pro stuff with Reason ALONE, but can with a little help from Nuendo, plugins, Cubase...whatever...

The sound coming from Reason is kinda computerish..

Normalise, EQ and compress are the keywords you'll need.

I do think you might be better off learning programs like Logic/Cubase/Vazmodular/Nuendo/Reaktor rightaway. You'll need those basics in the end, but you can learn some of that stuff from Reason also.

Sound quality as a professional studio, you just said it yourself Elysium... where can you get that? I know it's getting a worn-out argument at the moment, I just wanna state creativity is the most important. The stuff I've seen people pull on Dreamstation, Trackers, Buzz, Fruity Loops,... its fucking wonderfull and it's too easy to say that the quality is worse. I'd bet if I would let you hear 10 mp3'z, you wouldn't pick out the wrong ones...

Most oldschool is badly produced as well, even done with pro wear. It's not what you use, it's how you use it :D

PLUR

Guest Mike Indidginus

Ouroboros - a virus or waldorf is a lot of money if you haven't got much to spare dude (I'm still paying mine off a year later!). The first thing you should worry about I think is getting a sequencer running on your PC and then learning how to use that. You can use plug-in instruments to generate the noises - there are some really good ones about like the Pro52, the B4 (Hammond Organ!), the Model E and so on. Although these aren't necessarily as nice as having a real synth to twiddle knobs (no double entendre meant) on, they are a good compromise. Cubase is hard to understand at first, but it is (I feel any way) a good sequencer and will allow you to expand your studio as and when you can afford it. Don't feel that you have to rush out and buy the best equipment on offer - there's no sense in bankrupting yourself. Slowly, slowly - there's a lot to learn, and having too much new stuff to learn can cause overload (trust me!)... Well, whatever you choose to do, good luck :)

he does use professional gear but as i said final production..doesn't soley use

reason to make a track....but hey what would i know i only listen to the stuff....

nothing wrong with hardware and reason together....

anyway the guy asked whether it was worth $300..and i think it is and i think cubase is worth it too....

but hey none of us will never be like you......

Just for the record.. Shaman, who just released an EP (Unbrutal) on the same label as Son Kite, he uses Reason for his music.. and it sounds pretty pro. He also use Buzz. There are some of his songs for download as buzz songs (www.scene.de). And his sound is not unbrutal !

It's a pretty healthy program, but as Lifeform had said - you'll NEED recycle along with it, or it will be 100% useless (the giant sound-bank that comes with it isn't all that fantastic, so you need recycle import sounds to reason.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

still making stupid noises with soundforge

Guest Eshanti Brahman

Its pretty useful (read:worth 300 $) for beginners.......

The interfase is a joy! Easy to put down an instant idea spinning in your head.

Downsides:

-Need Recycle to complete

-Support for plugins (VST) ...hope it will come soon

-Many of the effects are too poor IMHO

Take care!

Guest Slidingtrancer

Eshanti, I agree with you about the effects, but you can do a lot to make them sound cool. I don't think its a beginners programme and the most important implementation WILL be VST's! I'm looking forward to a new version! You will need recycle yes or you must have high-Q samples ( you can do a lot with it) and as far as I'm concerned your quality in Reason depends more on your talent and your knowledge of it than on audioquality basis. I think you can get a very sufficient sound from Reason and when you do some extra production you have near-pro stuff. Talent shows through any program people learn and not everyone has either the basic knowledge or $$$ to buy ( even that instable) versions of Logic and Cubase. It IS the way to go when you have hardware I believe, but why not combine the best of programs and learn a bit of everything. I must agree with Elysium though, you are gonna have to learn MIDI-stuff somewhere in your career when you are serious about music.

Ouroboros, as I remember from your earlier posts, your musical taste lies more towards sound quality and rhythmic patterns rather than generic multilayer stuff. Since I happen to share your point of view, I daresay that reason would be completely useless if you want to make really good, fat and *original* sounds. It really depends on what kind of sound you want to get - if you're into that generic overused kind of sound (I doubt that), reason is for you. But to concentrate on the rhythmic side you'll need a sampler (halion, for instance), a bunch of plugins (or FX racks, if you go with hardware), and a sequencer, of course. Tone generation is far less important, and one can even do without it by using good samples with a fair amount of *good* processing. Once you get a grip of it, you can go further and buy more stuff.. a stack of sample libraries might prove really inspiring too :) my 2 cents.

thnx everyone this does indeed help me a lot.

i still havent decided...and wont be getting anything anytime soon. (i just had to pay 900 bucks for car repairs). i have some time to think about this more and try to work on improving my skills with what i already have.

i do already have recycle, as i started working on music with *cough*.... mixman...... dont laugh at me godammit =). so i was using recycle to make mixman .trk files.

ird,

thnx that was an especialy helpfull post. i am a lot more interested in *original* sounds (as you put it), which was the main reason why i got the yamaha-dx200 in the first place. thats also why ive been leaning towards the microwave xtk over the virus. so maybe ill hold off on worying about reason and work on other aspects.

thnx again everyone.

Guest serotonot

well. I've mede music with Reason since last autumn and I must say that it's ok program, at least for me and my friend who I make music with. If you have any doubts about the sound of Reason check out Hypoteekkiyhdistys' song in that song contest. I haven't uploaded it yet but it's been made with reason only. Well, soundforge is also being used when recording samples but nothing else. Sure there is some bad things about reason, but doesn't every soft/hardware have?

oh, and check out the new Native Instruments Absynth when it's released. that just might be the one, at least for me.

Guest serotonot

well. I've mede music with Reason since last autumn and I must say that it's ok program, at least for me and my friend who I make music with. If you have any doubts about the sound of Reason check out Hypoteekkiyhdistys' song in that song contest. I haven't uploaded it yet but it's been made with reason only. Well, soundforge is also being used when recording samples but nothing else. Sure there is some bad things about reason, but doesn't every soft/hardware have?

oh, and check out the new Native Instruments Absynth when it's released. that just might be the one, at least for me.

Guest Eshanti Brahman

These topics are very helpful for me. I get a lot of inputs and ideas and advice which proves to be very useful for a poor old confused sucker like me. The recent

articles in Future Music where they go home to people and help them making/improving their own studios (regardless size) are also very useful. Today

I bought studiomonitors and are looking forward to setting them up. But when things appear to be just perfect, my Cubase is giving me a very hard time. The computer crashes every time I try to open it,so I went crazy and went on to using Reason again. I can't decide which program I should stick to, so I am switching between those two softwares. I am just looking for VSTi support for the hopefully next Reason program. Then I think I could might as well stick to Reason. The sequencer in Reason is just so "right" for me. And oh yes, working with audio as well as midi would be very nice. Than basically Reason is all I ever wanted from a software at this point. Now,this posting is quite dull. But I know how confused people can be about everything that is going on regarding equipment/recording etc. People here are talking about trackers vs. pro software like Logic/Cubase/Nuendo. And both are right! The important thing is music!!! But in order to create good music, one should seek the best possible tools (if you can afford). If you can't afford (like me),its no problem at all. At the same time, the focus shall also be put on the musical material,not just on technical spesifications. I guess the best ones are those who merge professional technology with musical talent. Then you have MUSIC!

well, this didn't make any sense at all did it?

• 3 months later...
Guest thesoul

listen.

the reason that reason is so stable is because it doesn't have vsti support.

and as for your original question,

if god gave me a choice between reason and say pamela anderson or some other babe,

i'd choose reason.

it simply is worth it.

and don't worry about recycle,

you can always buy it later.

or if you're really desperate, you can download a warez of recycle.

now wait...

i dont want all you people pouncing on me saying warez is bad etc....

but if auroboros is really short on money, warez could offer a temporary solution.