which mixer do you recommend?

i want to buy a new mixer to connect my 2 discotec turntabels. later i will also buy some cds 100 by pioneer. which mixer would you recommend? i shouldn't be too expensive and the most important part is that it has two included bmp counters (one for each turntable).

thanks

Guest etherdesign

Well.. how much are you looking to spend? There are very few mixers with BPM counters actually on them.. most of the ones that count the bpm just have a little led that flashes to the beat but some have actual counters, I know of none that have two counters, normally there is just one that you can switch between sources..

Well anyway, here's a little list of mixers with bpm counters on them, I'll leave it up to you to check them out, because as far as mixers go, it's really a matter of taste, all of the major brands have the same sound quality it's just the features and ergonomics that differ.. I'll also give you some prices, which will be in US dollars tho..

Gemini BPM-500 $279

Pioneer DJM-300 $399

Pioneer DJM-500 $899 (onboard effects)

Numark DM1835X $349

American DJ Q-MX2BPM $349

Roland DJ-1000 $429 (onboard effects)

Roland DJ-2000 $799 (onboard effects)

These are all quality mixers with BPM functions, if you want to buy a cheaper mixer, you can get a Redsound (www.redsound.com) MicroBPM BPM counter for about $120 US.. though it's probably better to get it on the mixer..

For the CDJ's it's not so much of an issue because it has auto BPM functions on board..

If this is for personal fun, it is all good, but keep in mind that if you are going to be taking records somewhere to play, they will most likely not have a bpm counter on their mixer, so while it is a good learning tool, it shouldn't be wholly relied upon.. When dealing with CD's it's not too much of an issue since most DJ CD players have BPM functions on the players..

Hope I helped at least a little bit and sorry if I already explained something you already know, never hurts.. Good luck and happy spinning=)

Guest mkay11

for a bit extra cash and a twist on mixing in effects

try the korg kaos pad mixer...

www.korg.com

friend just recently bought one overseas and got it sent over

haven't tried it yet but would be a good buy...

woow, thanks for that bunch of information. you really helped me a lot! think i will go for the bpm counter from redsound because i allready own an mixer. so i will save a lot of money and can buy my cdj's sooner. hehe!

Guest phaeton

bpm counters are pretty useless imo, as you can't really rely on them for finetuning of the pitch and for a rough estimation just using your ears is easier/quicker :)

so you don't need bpm counters to mix really, you should trust your ears instead ...

bom bom!

rik / phaeton

Well... Phaeton is right, you don't really NEED them, but I think it is easier with...

I have the Pioneer-turntable with the 2 BPM-counters... of course you can't use them to pitch the songs exactly, but with the BPM-counter you can be sure you don't need to change the pitch more then -0.7 or + 0.7

Bom Shankar

Anoebis

Ps: Phaeton, blij te merken dat je nog leeft want ik zie je niet meer op ICQ ;o)

Guest psychopat

I agree with Phaeton since you probably won't have any BPM

counters when you will mix at a party.

The most important things to me concerning

mixers are:

- 3 band Eq

- ability to change faders easily

- PFL before Eq so you can verify tyhe beat even if

you set the bass Eq level to the lowest level

Hope this helps.

Pat

i have allready ordered the bmp counter now. hope it helps me. i seem to have a big problem with hearing which of the both songs is fast and which slower. maybe its because i didn't invest too much time so far.... i think after using the counter for some time my ears will get used to hear it and i will not have to use to counter forever. at the moment i'm not playning to play at parties anyway, i just want to mix some tapes and havin fun with the music. thanks again for your help!

Guest Psylent Knight

I'm planning on getting some CDJs fairly soon and I was also planning on getting a mixer (obviously), but was planning on getting a mixer with BPM counters. I also noticed that most, as you said above, parties don't have mixers with BPM counters. Is it then dangerous to rely on BPM counters too much, or do you get used to it so as playing and mixing with a non-BPM counter mixer isn't much different.

Just wondering... any thoughts?