Spirit Architect/Djantrix love.....Ye gods ! The 'thing' is strong with this one

MikroMakro

MEGA THINGYS - Boing boing boing boing boing 👌 I have yet to hear a kick and bass that gets me like this one...

to me that's as close to perfect as it gets. Aaardvarkk comes close for me though as well he does some killer trouser flapping

bass lines.  Proper wibble wobble, wibble wobble, jelly on a plate bidness.

• MikroMakro changed the title to Spirit Architect/Djantrix love.....Ye gods ! The 'thing' is strong with this one

If I may expand ?With kick and bass and I will focus on the above Psy bass is interesting in that the perception changes depending on the listening volume. The human ear is not linear in its frequency response, look up fletcher-munson equal loudness contour curves. The ear is less sensitive to lows and highs at low volume which evens out as volume increases. This alone means even changing volume changes the timing perception of the kick and bass. And why kick and bass is such an interesting psychoacoustic effect.

The kick and bass above is interesting as it almost speeds up and down depending on what is playing. Most psy kick and bass has this phenomena.

This kick and bass is somehow not 100pct quite timed correctly, as some young whipper snapper on Youtube will no doubt tell you it is not perfectly phase aligned. However it has a ambiguous falling forwards feel (something coming a bit early) so it propels the track well.

Also your perception of kick and bass changes as it interacts with other sounds in the mix...  a mono kick and bass can sometimes start to widen and sound pseudo stereo even if it is mono due to stereo mix elements interacting with the mono kick and bass (often ping pong delays on leads and effects) and also the phase and harmonics shifts (filtering) from lead sound interactions.

The timing and "feel" of kick and bass is affected by the listeners listening volume as you ear becomes more or less sensitive to a different harmonic partial of the closing filter sweep. That is why i believe it creates such an interesting effect, and why it persists in the genre, it is because it is very very interesting to hear. In addition unless you are right between L and R you are getting a time delay between 1 side of the speakers and the other (or more if quad stacks +) so when you move around the static nature of the kick and bass is filtered by the distance / time delay / phase relationships from L and R speaker stacks changing as you move around.

Most producers of psy trance will know when they have a cool section that sounds good to the ears but may start to retard in energy. It can lose forward momentum, a tricky problem to resolve.