07. 06’56” Kanzaman Breaks

08. 06’15” Tribal Shift

09. 05’38” Stone Turns Black

10. 06’27” Only The Brave

11. 02’26” Resolve

12. 05’19” Rise Above

Review:

Plush world beats

Tai Chi disciple Sebastian Taylor takes his fascination with the sounds of the Middle East, Asia and Hawaii to new levels with his debut Kaya Project album… Seb Taylor was one of the pioneers on the UK trance scene, renowned for his Shakta, Somaton and Digitalis projects… He has also enjoyed

great success with his ethno lounge project Angel Tears, which had a track on one of the trendy Buddha Bar compilations… Anyway, as Kaya Project he’s out with this new album “Walking Through” on Canadian quality label Interchill Records…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: First up is as beautiful chilled track, previously released on a Stoned Asia compilation called World Peace… Seb shows off with his acoustic guitar and we are treated to some groovy, mellow beats… Arabian chants, tribal percussion, violins and a piano add to the smooth flavour of this delicious track!

#02: The dubby feel continues on this down-tempo nugget… This track was made with Seb’s soul mate Natascha Chamberlain and they sure have a good thing going… The correlation between the acoustic guitar, the mellow bass and the tribal percussion is breathtaking…

#03: This track kicks off in a subtle manner with a pan flute and all kinds of ethnic influences… Then we are treated to some lovely singing by Irina Mikhailova… Seb meet her in Mexico when she was touring with Medicine Drum… Her emotional lyrics and the Arabian violin are very nice, and add to the Middle Eastern feel this track has…

#04: It gets even more tribal now… Male lyrics are in focus – they remind me of the ones in Juno Reactor’s “Hule Lam”… I have no idea what he’s singing, but although his voice is kinda ‘lazy’ it’s very hypnotizing… Loads of tribal percussion here too…

#05: As mentioned earlier Natascha Chamberlain is Seb’s twin soul, so this must be a tribute to her…This was also previously released, on the Six Degrees compilation “Arabian Travels 2”… More female ethnic vocals and Seb playing all kinds of instruments… Darboukas and kalimba to name a few… There’s also some really cool guitar and flute action going on in this track!

#06: This is a remix to an Irina Mikhailova track… And what a lovely remix it is… Kinda reminds me of some of the best Asura work… A beautiful acoustic guitar, flutes, drums, congas and something that sounds like a didgeridoo… This is ethno chill at its best!

#07: Time for Kanzaman Breaks! This rocks! It’s really hard to describe, but it’s something like groovy, down beat, ethnic break-beat trance … Loads of drums to keep the steady pace and some twisted Arabic chanting… Oh and there’s even a break/build-up part here… Well, kinda! ;o)

#08: Some beautiful female singing is soon “disrupted” by some friendly beats… Accompanied by twisted, psychedelic effects and a children’s choir this track has parts that resembles Shpongle… A lot of stuff is going on here, and I have a hard time not moving to this tribal tune…

#09: Now the stones turn black… Previously released on the Interchill compilation 13th Moon, this track is slightly darker – I guess it’s night now and that’s why the stones have turned black… This could easily be the soundtrack to some dark, tribal ritual with loads of chanting, violin, flute and deep, steady percussion… Nice!

#10: Let’s take it down a notch... It’s the break of dawn now and the mood is lighter... The sounds are just beautiful here... Seb takes his musical skills to new levels here, showing us just how talented he is with his guitar, flute, violin and sampler... A perfect blend of ancient sounds with modern production wizardry...

#11: Now this is an odd little short track... Virtually beat-less, this is just a piano and an acoustic guitar, both played with immense talent. I wish I had those skills – Seb; you could play with Slowhand, Satriani or Santana! ;o)

#12: The last track is another chilled gem... Organic in nature, with harmonic whispering and the odd tribal effect thrown in here and there... I couldn’t have wished for a better way to end what has truly been a magical journey...

Seb Taylor and Interchill – how can you go wrong? Well, you can’t really... This is truly a fine album which just oozes quality all the way through... Though there is a casual connection between all tracks, the variation is vast... A near perfect blend of world beats and sonic studio manipulation... Also, the artwork is beautiful… The front cover is an original piece by Suzanne Brady – nicey nice! All in all, I’d recommend this album to any fan of ethnic world beats with a groovy twist...

8.5/10

Favourites: 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10

DeathPosture

B)

External links:

Interchill: www.interchill.com (Audio sample available!)

Discobole: www.discobole.gr

CCNow: www.ccnow.com

Chaos Unlimited: www.chaosunlimited.co.uk

[Note: Released in Japan on May 10, and worldwide May 26 2004]

Edited by DeathPosture

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...