Battle of the Future Buddhas - Everything Remixed

draeke

Well here it comes, the newly produced  digital album by the Buddhas.

a2910110473_10.jpg

The Cupboard - Easy Listening remix
07:50

Bodyhit - Light Cycle remix
09:05

We See
10:55

4. We Know
10:14

Time - Extendend above and beyond to the left of Infinity remix
17:48

Time - Ka-SoL remix
07:40

Bodyhit - Funky Dead Badger remix
08:59

True Hope - Comfy Slippers remix
09:38

1 The album starts off with a storming fast track, which i really like. The melodies are there swirling out and about while the kick has a very cool oldschool feeling, being kept in the basement, and not straight up there in your face bouncing roundly as it often happens in modern productions. The sampled voices are subtle but very enjoyable. A great opener this Cupboard Remix. Not sure why easy listening but maybe it is because it is not a very loud goa track (which is good). The track is clearly psytrance but with a huge retro feeling to it. And also ... what if there is no tomorrow? I agree let's enjoy today.

2 The second track has similar style to the opener and it takes you to a higher level of consciousness with its deep layered patterns and the haunting galloping rhythm. The female voice all of a sudden gives it a magic touch, love it. A killer remix, not much more to be said other than: enjoy it, I sure did. Deep stuff.

3 Track III continues in consistency and goes even deeper, the Buddhas are really making it worth listening, a very enjoyable track, and the ghastly effect going around in circles works perfectly. "We have to see, we have to know" I certainly agree. The samples are used wisely but that ghastly pang inducing effect really works much on me. Watch Out for the mega ending.. Certainly one of the best tracks of the album.

4 This track is in classic Buddhas style, reminding me of their early creations and is a bit slower than the others, at least it feels this way. It starts softly but builds up. The sample sound from the same movie or at least the same voice from the previous track but this time is a little boring, at least until you realize it shifts from "See" to "Know". The track gets much nicer after that and I like the melody in the middle going on in the background + the sampled trumpet part that can be heard subtly. The whole track somehow has a disco feeling to it, so I guess you need to consider it in its own, a mature production but not easily understandable, it needs to grow on you.

5 What do we have here? A Magnus opus remix of almost 18 minutes? That's really cool and not common at all. It starts as such a long track should, in a very minimalist way, just the kick and a few elements. There are swirling sounds slowly appearing and creating a path, there are bees around you and haunting voices, classix forest style and it makes me feel I am walking in the woods while listening to this track, as if i were going on and on, step after step. "Time wouldn't exist?" perhaps. But surprises aren't finished, in the middle something unexpected happens and the track changes style, I feel I am in an Arab or Indian country and the percussion used in this part is really spot on. I might even call it a Shpongle on forest moment, very interesting. You'd need balls to play this at a party but I think it might be a surprising experience for the unaware listeners. The track comes back to its original rhythm as a circle indeed, as our life and time. The track is very experimental but I loved it. Will generate mixed feelings for sure.

6 The Ka-Sol remix of Time is easier to approach, it has very good elements and that classic groove that Ka-Sol always has. This is a killer remix, it has all the elements of the previous track, a toned down version but that would work very well on the dancefloor. The track before this one is mystical and magnificent but I think I’d rather play this one in a set, to make it easier for the listeners. At home though, I'd skip it as it's indeed simpler, so you have 2 remixes on this album but very different one another, excellent choice.

​7 Bodyhit (Remix) is a damn sweet track, I really like it! Bouncing, heavy, psychedelic, cool effects. It’s another favourite and has splendid production. I feel there are even owl’s sounds in the background, but maybe it’s just an imaginary sound…

8 The final remix, True Hope, is a mid-tempo track. It starts very atmospheric and continues like a very deep trip, perfect to close this storming album.

I have to yet listen the original versions of these tracks but I am pretty pleased with my purchase, 80 minutes of forest mixed with goa vibes all blended together and ready to be played at home or parties, as you see fit.
Please support the hard work of the band and get your own legit download here: http://battlebuddhas.bandcamp.com/ as I did

• 3 weeks later...

ot0Kkge.gif

"What if there is no tomorrow, there wasn't one today?"

You do realize we just elected the orange cheetoh president right? 

Well thought out and written review Draeke! 

I uh, don't agree with some of it, (well one big part) but...well here we are.

Everyone loves the Buddhas and their unique take on the melding of forest and goa.  This project is the definition of psychedelic mind twisting, but with this remixed offering do we really get anything we didn't have on the original Everything album?  The title itself said it had everything and it really did have a bunch of styles on it.   Well with this effort they remix stuff not just found on their last record.

The opening track was a remix of the Cupboard which I felt was the one of if not the best track on the original album.  Liked it, but I feel it was more of a lateral move.

Bodyhit remix is a dark (so was the original - see a pattern?) pumping track from the  Urban Legends album and he plays with some percussive phrases and it has that sample from the Tom Cruise movie War of the Worlds.  You know the one.  I like it just for that.  Again good, but a lateral move.

We See is as Draeke said one of the best here and that warped synth sound pulls you right in.  More pumping, hallucinatory darkness that is oh, so delicious.  Even at almost 11 minutes the time flies by.

We Know is the companion track to We See and like any little brother it wants to do what the big brother does.  Unfortunately it is less interesting and even boring in places.  Five minutes in and I'm wondering if he left the sequencer running.  The little details are nice, but I'm afraid it falls short.

Here is where I will split with Draeke.  This experimental track is an opus, but an opus to...what actually?  The first part is a cautious walk through a menacing forest  The sample manipulating is aggravating and they keep it up for an extended period of time, beating you over the head with it.  Annoying as f*ck.  Then they slow everything down to a crawl, and do even more sample manipulation.  I can't imagine playing this at a party as it would crush any momentum or vibe.  It did that in my house while I was wearing my Star Wars Pjs.  But I'm not a DJ.

So now a Ka-Sol Remix that lobs off 10 unnecessary minutes, but doesn't add much to the track.  Maybe a "thickening?"  Meh.

Funky Dead Badger?  It wasn't very funky so they got it half right.

Comfy Slippers Remix of True Hope was really toned down and one might even say mellow.  It suffers from what a lot of the tracks suffer from.  It doesn't make me scream, "Did you hear the comfy slippers mix?  It's off the chain!"  More like...

Us48fRB.gif

IMO I just don't find these remixes anything to write home about.  It's just more of the same and by the same I mean they did not stray from their formula.  If you liked the album and are a big Buddhas fan then by all means this will be right up your alley.