Alwoods is aaaamazing!

Trunksan

I guess some of you might already know of Alwoods (Giannis Rigas from Greece).

I've had the pleasure of listening to his progress almost from his first record. In the past years (since I'm also in Athens), I've been to his gigs several times, most of the times he was opening for Ultimae Records guys (Aes Dana, Asura, Solar fields...) or others in a similar genre, be it chill, uptempo ambient or prog artists (Vibrasphere).

So, last night he was the main act for, I think, the second time (the other time was when he was presenting his second album), presenting some stuff from his upcoming album.

I can say that Giannis has reached a phenomenal level of musical achievement.

He's taken the old ultimae sound and made it more twisty and psychedelic sometimes a bit faster or heavier. Overall, what I intrigued me. was his ability to create an engulfing atmosphere, everyone was just drawn in and taken away...

The only other person that, in this genre (let's say uptempo ambient or prog/chil) has managed to create such a beautiful atmosphere has been, Aes Dana and not always (I've heard him almost 10 times). Giannis, since last night, has joined my Pantheon of amazing producers.
The last time that I can think of me being so engulfed into the music was with Battle Of the Future Budhas... It's a tottaly different genre of course, but both times I was totally locked and didn't want to miss a thing (sounds a bit Cheesy...)

Check his music if you haven't... It's great.... But listening to his set in a club is out-of-this-world! If he passes by your town, don't miss him!

Here's a playlist

EDIT: https://www.facebook.com/events/640695989423566/ (this was the event)

• Like 1

He's one of my favorite midtacts too although I've never seen him but I'll be sure to catch him whe I get the chance...

Glad to know there's a new album coming, any idea when it'll be released?

• Like 1

He's one of my favorite midtacts too although I've never seen him but I'll be sure to catch him whe I get the chance...

Glad to know there's a new album coming, any idea when it'll be released?

Don't know about the album. However, he's playing in Sweden next month (I know Belgium, is not that close to Sweden, just mentioning it).

A friend of mine was so impressed with his music that he invited him to play at a private party in 2 weeks (with payment of course) at a friends house up in the mountains, the only problem that we have is that he lives in Serres now (that's 600Km North) and we thought that he was living in Athens, so if we are to pay another ~200eur for his plane tickets, then the budget gets blown out of proportions and I'm sure you are aware of the financial situation of most young people in Greece.

Since I work in a company that does big audiovisual productions (concerts, TV production, clubs etc) I can get high quality sound equipment for free and I also have my own gear which I usually pick up from studios or clubs that go bankrupt or close down, so I get them for very cheap or even free. So in terms of gear we are all set.

However, if we are to pay ~500 eur for the various DJs payments and expenses, we are fucked, unless a lot of people chip in.

• 2 months later...

On Friday, second time being at an Alwoods event this season. This time he took a more proggy approach (last time was totally tribal/mystical/paganistic,), it was good but last time was magical so most ppl were a bit disappointed. Anyway, we had a good time, a lot of nice friendly ppl and a very family-like atmosphere along with good music.