to find a linux dist for my laptop

astralprojection

is a big struggle.

Im not happy with windows 10 at all, and windows 7 is not an option due to the lack of drivers for that OS.

So Im left with windows 10 or linux. Linux is a struggle and hassle in and of itself, but its also a bit of fun.

The main things I need to have working is

* vpn (i use PIA VPN and i think there is a linux client)

* a sturdy FTP client like "winSCP"

* chrome (due to my personalisation of chrome as it is right now, and all my bookmarks that automatically shows up when i log into my gmail account. Firefox is not an option, Ill even use chrome in WINE if there is no other way, as i dont know if chrome even exists on linux)

* fully working audio and video

looks is also important, and while im familiar with Enlightenment im fairly happy with Gnome too.

Im also familiar with the Debian package system so Id prefer a Debian based dist.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint are two dists ive worked in alot and i would like to try something different..

Any suggestions and discussion is welcome.

I like Mint, but you ruled that out. Since I don't know too many distributions, I will just get to two points you named.

a sturdy FTP client like "winSCP"

SCP (secure copy) and FTP are protocols natively supported by Linux systems. Both commands are intuitive and powerful enough that the shell will be your best UI for them. Well, my opinion. :)

fully working audio and video

This is probably what you should base your search on, because driver support is still a problem these days, especially with notebooks. Make sure there are proper drivers for your graphics and sound cards!

Bodhi Linux fits the criteria nicely. It, like so many distros these days, is based on Ubuntu, but is centered around the Moksha window manager (a fork of enlightenment 17). It has wonderful audio tools, and all of the FTP, SCP, and built in VPN capabilities.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

yes but with winSCP comes the ability to easily chose wether or not to use ftp over SSL, sftp or ftp. and easily saved into shortcuts.

password and all.

this is necessary as i work as webmaster for 5 different sites and managing them thru the console or natively in the UI would be too much hassle.

Besides, winscp makes it a breeze to edit files on the fly aswell. i do 99% of all coding inside the winscp text editor and im so acustomed to that now - im inclined to use it thru Wine - if no equal alternative for linux exists. Which im positive there must.

i dont think sound and video will be a problem since its an ASUS laptop and has common hardware. At least I wouldnt think that there would be a problem but who knows.

Manufacturers these days do not make it easy on the customer.

For example - the RAM casing on the back is fitted with a screw - that doesnt have any grooves. Which makes it impossible to change RAM withouth either forcing it open or dismantle the entire pc.

Also making the drivers native to windows 8.1 and 10 - while eliminating 7 - is worthy of conspiracy theories, considering that windows 10 is a massive spy tool - and windows 10 home users dont even have the ability to use GPEDIT to disable most of the spying..

AND they gladly give it free of cost...

yeah...

Bodhi Linux fits the criteria nicely. It, like so many distros these days, is based on Ubuntu, but is centered around the Moksha window manager (a fork of enlightenment 17). It has wonderful audio tools, and all of the FTP, SCP, and built in VPN capabilities.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

bodhi seems like a great alternative.

• 1 year later...

Curious, what have you ended up with? For FTP shortcuts I use Gedit text editor which has an embedded file/FTP browser which is later available as a short cut across the system. Not sure if it supports sftp, haven't had a chance to check out yet. Before that I used FileZilla for sftp.